1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade Rin

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade Rin

Greetings T-Netters .....

Started my day off at the Mohawk indian site attacked by the Dutch in the 1660's We've hit the site hard and grided it several times but relics still present themselves.

Plenty of cut brass points and lead pieces , no carved animals this time out but I'm sure there will be more. :thumbsup:

BUT a surprise find !!! What sounded off as just another piece of brass turned out to be what is left of a ,my oppinion,silver trade ring !!
Bent and missing the left tab but very ornate and made of thin sheet silver ! No hallmark of any kind but the backside of the design
looks rough...like it has a tab soldered to keep it together.
Next hunt I plan to grid the area HARD ! :whip2:

Afterwards I spent the last hour of daylite at a 18th century tavern type home...The owner gave me the A-OK the previous day but was skeptical and just laughed when I told him of colonial coins and relics. :laughing3:
Twenty minutes into checking the front yard I get a solid 85 VDI and a 1817 Lg Cent comes outta the ground !!

I showed the owner and he was flabbergasted...Just could'nt believe the coin was in his yard ( I loved proving him wrong )
I promised the coin to him next week when I return & I will be giving this yard the hard search it'll need because there is quite a bit of junk.

Back to work now and another 6 days till I can hunt again :sad11:

Good luck to everyone and thanks for looking :wave:

Derek

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 715
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 719
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 706
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 703
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 709
Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: 1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade Rin

Fantastic finds Derek!! your on a great site. I look forward to seeing your future finds.

kenb

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Re: 1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade Rin

Those are some sweet diggs Derek.

HH Jer

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Derek, that is one special site, and the silver piece sure looks period. (French?)

Don

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That LC should clean up real nice. A nice gesture to give it to the homeowner. I'd have a hard time giving it up, but that little gesture may yield something alot better. GODD LUCK on the site. It sounds like it could give up some real goodies! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ said:
Derek, that is one special site, and the silver piece sure looks period. (French?)

Don

Thanks Don ...

I am nowhere near educated on trade silver. I only know a little about trade silver pieces made in Canada.

This site is the oldest site I've ever searched and I'm not the first..It was discovered ( but known about long before ) in the 1920's and many people have searched the site.
Good for us , past searchers didnt have our technology and left behind some nice metal relics

I've looked at trade silver online but find very little....I'll have to look into it more when I have more time.
I'd guess this piece would have belonged to someone higher up in the Mohawk chain of command

HH ! :thumbsup:

D.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

W@W Derek :thumbsup: I'm sure you'll pop out some more goodies from this place.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

kenb said:
Fantastic finds Derek!! your on a great site. I look forward to seeing your future finds.

kenb

Thank You Kenb

Its a special site to get to search , knowing the atrocities that took place there and the senseless killing, so anything found holds special meaning to me !

I look forward to future finds too :o

Good hunting :thumbsup:
D.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

JerDfx said:
Those are some sweet diggs Derek.

HH Jer

Thanks Jer ...

Being here in the Northeast where so much early American history is and research and the generousity of good land owners helps ALOT !

LOVE digging history !!!

D.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

hogge said:
That LC should clean up real nice. A nice gesture to give it to the homeowner. I'd have a hard time giving it up, but that little gesture may yield something alot better. GODD LUCK on the site. It sounds like it could give up some real goodies! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply Hogge ...

I've been lucky in the Lg Cent catagory...found sooooo many !
It would be just another added to my collection and forgotten...I know the owner will love to have it !

Keep swinging :icon_sunny:

D.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

silverfreak said:
W@W Derek :thumbsup: I'm sure you'll pop out some more goodies from this place.

Thanks for the good words Silver :thumbsup:

If your ever in upstate Ny your in man !!

Good huntin my friend 8)

Derek

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent :)

HH

Hunter

Dec 6, 2007
Chicago and Florida Keys
Detector(s) used
Matrix M-6, Bounty Hunter, Fisher CZ-21 and Pistol Probe Pinpointer.

Real nice finds awesome large cent!! :thumbsup:

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

Talking about some history, that's awesome! :thumbsup: I commend you on your finds, and did I mention, nice large cent.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade

Nice collection of finds.

Although I think you have some early silver, I'm not convinced it was a ring. Keep researching :)

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 1817 Lg Cent - More 17th Century Mohawk Relics - & 17th Century Silver Trade

CRUSADER said:

Although I think you have some early silver, I'm not convinced it was a ring. Keep researching :)

Hey Mr Crusader , how are things ?

Thanks for having a look at the finds.
If not a ring what do you think it may have been used for ?
Ring was my only thought

Thanks again...

Derek

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Derek752 said:
CRUSADER said:

Hey Mr Crusader , how are things ? Tough but looking forward to my best year

Thanks for having a look at the finds.
If not a ring what do you think it may have been used for ? Little pieces of silver like this are very difficult to pin down, could be almost anything. I have a bag full of misc silver & don't have a clue what half of it is. Pipe decor would be my first guess, however without getting a closer look I have no idea. If it is circular, then what kinda diameter would it have had?
Ring was my only thought

Thanks again...

Derek

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Yo, Derek, you king of the Colonial era, you rock, dude! :headbang: I loooooooooooove that trade ring; it looks to be another 1600s artifact. :hello2:

That coppa is in beautiful shape. It reminds me of the 1816 that I dug two years ago, but without the scratch that I placed on mine. :D

The Mohawk Valley can't hide artifacts from you, your DFX, and your Colonial passion combined! :icon_salut:

Here's to your never-ending search of the Mohawk Valley! :occasion14:

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread