And, the Field was plowed ---

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
UPDATE (Wednesday April 30, 2008)
I added a close up picture of the more interesting finds over the last three days. There are a few more coins but I chose to not show them due to their condition. The two V Nickels both have dates but are almost impossible to see in the picture. The wheat is 1919. I apologize for the picture quality; I'm obviously not much of a photographer. :)

Sunday
April 27, 2008

Well, I finally stopped at a farm I've passed up for the last year or more! It's only about 15 to 20 acres but is in an ideal location. At least I thought so. Lying beside the railroad tracks leaving Trinidad, near the Pergatory River the little field was just plowed up a week or so ago. I got there early toting my SE with 18 inch Excelerator coil. My first find was a 45 cal. 2 ringer! Shortly, I found a 1903 Indian head penny. I knew it was going to be a fun morning! I ended up with 2 Indian Heads, 3 wheats, a 32 cal. Minnie ball, one 1890 V Nickel, a buffalo nickel (it's got a date but needs cleaning). I also found a small silver religious medallion and a part of a token along with an assortment of buttons and other junk. But hey, it was fun! I may post close ups of the coins later once I let them soak in hydrogen peroxide for a little. I cleaned on the V nickel and it's still hard to see the details but they are there. I'm not sure if useing Hydrogen Peroxide was the thing to do. Oh well, too late now! :)

Thanks for looking!
GRB

Attachments

• Relics-600.JPG
    Relics-600.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Assort Finds-600.JPG
    Assort Finds-600.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,415
  • AsFinds Clo-600.JPG
    AsFinds Clo-600.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,410
  • CloUp 04-30-08-650.JPG
    CloUp 04-30-08-650.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 285
  • IH-Vee-Clo-800.JPG
    IH-Vee-Clo-800.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual GRB... another good dig for ya.. mind if I ask a stupid question...when you all get permission to dig a field..do these fields have the underground watering systems.. am curious to see if that interfers with detecting... ya ya I know its stupid...but I had to ask. :icon_scratch:

wtg GRB :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Guy & Gal!
Thanks for looking!

Mrs. BootyBay,
This field's so small there is no irrigation that I saw anyway. Last week I was in a little town near Trinidad and asked a gentleman if I could search his yard. He had just tilled it up. He was also in the process of removing an ancient irigation system which was a menagerie of steel pipes and brass sprinkler heads. While I was hunting, I marked all the sprinkler heads he had not removed. All that steel was a pain for sure and I had to lower SENSITIVITY way down on my SE in order to hunt. Get this; I was useing my 4.5x7 Excelerator coil too. How are you liking the X70?

I've got to get back to this field tomorrow because planting is due within the next week or so and then the hunting will be over for a while.

Thanks again!
GRB

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GREAT RELIC DAY. I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO WHEN THE PLOWS HIT. IT SEEMS TO REFRESH-N THE FEILDS......PACO

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a very productive site, GRB! I'm sure you'll find more goodies there too! :wink:

Congrats! Nana :)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grb,
waiting patiently for my xt70 to arrive.. am in severe withdrawls here..

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those plowed fields. They are really fun to hunt.

CladMaster

Dec 25, 2007
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer SE
Great finds. That coil is absolutely MASSIVE. It's almost comical, the size of that thing. It looks like a basketball hoop. I gotta get one of those for my SE. :) HH

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Guys & Gals!
Thanks for giving my meager thread an eyeball!

The 18 inch coil is really not that bad. As I was telling someone else moments ago, I tend to drag my coils in the dirt so not all the pressure is on my arm/shoulder. But, it ain't for weenies if you plan to swing it for 5 hours straight. But, it does get the job done. Believe it or not, the 18 inch is ideal for tot lots. You're in and out really quick and it's very sensitive. I know I must sound like an ad but if I like something, I like to talk about it. :)

GRB

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt GRB. Nice variety of finds. :thumbsup:
That coil has to be the largest I've seen. :o
Thanks for the post.
-MM-

KSdiver

Sep 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab, Nokta Makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice GRB! Congrats on a great day of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread