Newbie in San Diego

S

SD MUDDOG

Well I just bought an ACE250 after reading some pretty good reviews and want to put it to work. Only problem is I am out here in San Diego and the only place that it seems legal to hunt is at the beach (public beach anyway). Other than that most schools are fenced off due to shootings and open spaces in California are pretty much NO TOUCH (BLM)areas. I am surprised there are still trails that we can hike on out here as long as we do not touch anything. As for parks I am not sure as of yet. If anyone can give me any good advise as far as beach hunting goes that would be great. I went out yesterday for a bit after work and was kind of overwhelmed when I looked at the size of the beach vs. the size of my coil. Where to start?? The ACE250 seems to be a pretty descent machine for the price. That little thing rings out very small pieces of foil way past 14" deep and it seems to be almost too sensitive. Any tips from this forum would be much appreciative as I have a new respect for all of you and your finds. This is a great hobby and a great forum to share it with.

Upvote 0
P

Pooley

I discriminate out the foil on my 250 but I dig everything else. Its a good little machine. You should hunt around old houses, that is where I have had my best luck. Go to your local library and do some research, I am sure there are tons of places there in San Diego to hunt. I know what you are saying about the schools, here where I live in Florida almost all of the schools are fenced in and you cannot get to them. You could try and do a little bartering, if you see a house you would like to hunt, offer to mow their lawn in exchange for metal detecting, cant hurt to ask.

OP
OP
S

SD MUDDOG

Thanks for the info Pooley. Unfortunately it seems that most of the really old homes here are located downtown where everything seems to be paved. There is a lot of good history here with the Spanish settlers, some missions and a battle sight from the Spanish/American war but all are heavily guarded and would be a sure trip to the dog pound for the Muddog. I will definately take your advise and hit the library for some research. Thanks.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
look for places that they are tearing up old sidewalks and streets for re paving.lots of goodies under that cement.

F

Floater

Go East young man and hunt those hills. Find some maps and if Sasquash is around he can point ya in the right direction. Also join the local md club. Good Luck and that Ace is a great machine. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread