A "JAMES E. PEPPER" token ----

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
A "JAMES E. PEPPER" token ----

Today, I had decided to take off; thinking I needed a day's rest from swinging. However, the wife wanted to go to Pueblo and more or less implied she'd rather go it alone SO, what's a boy suppose to do? :)

I went to the local park; the one that's been hit hard by everybody in the world but still managed to find two tokens! The one not shown is bent and made of aluminum; it's really not worth seeing anyway. This token/pendant says "Established 1780". The three figures on the face appear military to me. I wonder, was James E. Pepper a school of some sort? I'll Google and see what I can find.

Google results! James E Pepper was a prominent whiskey maker in the early 1800s from Lexington, Kentucky!
How about that! Cheers Mr. Pepper! :coffee2:

I just noticed above the date on the face is an inscription: "Born with the Republic". Cool!

Thank you for your interest!
GRB

Attachments

• Fac Tok-950.JPG
    Fac Tok-950.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Bac-Tok-950.JPG
    Bac-Tok-950.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 926
Upvote 0

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A "JAMES E. PEPPER" token ----

Thats a cool find and who wants to go there anyway..

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find! I dug one a while ago, and someone in the club I belong to told me that the token would be attached to the bottle of whiskey. Yours is in much better condition. Good stuff!
CurbdiggerCarl

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Grb,
cool looking token, I guess hence the hole in it..if it was attached to a bottle..still neat to me thou.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

The Pepper Family
James E. Pepper was the last in a long line of distillers. His grandfather was Elijah Pepper, born in Virginia and an early Kentucky settler. His father was Oscar Pepper, who had the good sense to employ Dr. James C. Crow as his master distiller, bringing fame to the Old Crow and Old Pepper brands, and fortune to the Pepper family. After Oscar's death in 1867, James ran the Versailles distillery for a few years before selling it to E. H. Taylor. James then moved to New York, but returned in 1879 to build a new distillery in Lexington. One of the unique features of the site was a seemingly inexhaustible spring. The distillery's pumps drew water from it at a rate of 700 gallons a minute and it never went dry. James put his name on the label of his bourbon and used the famous slogan "Born With The Republic" along with the trademark "Old 1776." James died in 1908 and the family sold the distillery and brands. James E. Pepper Bourbon was brought back after Prohibition but discontinued in 1960. United Distillers re-established it 1994 but only sells it outside the USA.

Attachments

• pepper.jpg
    pepper.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 748

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love to find old tokens as much as old coins. That's a nice one, Roy! 8)

Congrats! Nana :wink:

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for the information; it's a pretty neat token! I've been pretty lucky, finding tokens that is. I'm thinking of building or buying a display which I can hang on the wall so I can gander a token anytime I wish! :)

GRB

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x

is that token worth anything i have a perfect condition one.....no grime

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread