School Yard Finds

Hoosier

Apr 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
I hunted a school yard today with a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 . I was wondering if switching to a 10 inch coil will improve reading coins deeper down ? I like the machine but I feel it doesn't read coins very deep. Below are my totals.

Quarters 5
Dimes 6
Nickels 2
Pennies 16

Total : $ 2.11

Attachments

• BH1.JPG
    BH1.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 773
Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, Hoosier. :wink: :)

I can't help you with your bounty hunter...but I can say that most coins that I find are less than 6 inches deep. Even large cents are usually in the 4 inch range, so if your detector is going that deep, I wouldn't worry about it. Just slow down and you'll hear the deeper signals. 8)

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
I agree, most of the coins are above 6 inches. I have heard that larger coils go deeper so if you are concerned give it a shot.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs,

HH

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Large coils do go deeper as the wave is a upside down cone and the bigger the cone the futher to the point. Understand? But the larger the cone the larger the area of detection will be and trashy areas will drive you nuts. That's when a smaller coil works better

As said just slow down and listen if your not using a headset get one. I don't know how long you been hunting so. You get 2 bucks a day in clad that is great and over 700 bucks in a year. 700 will buy you a fine machine next year with all kinds of accessories if you want to upgrade. Till then when you have time read more on sensitivity and discrimination. .

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hi Hoosier,
Nice group of coins.

I hunt with a BH landstar. I wanted more depth, so I bought the 10" coil. Air testing showed that it gave me only an extra inch. That extra inch can mean everything with the right target, but I expected more of an increase. I guess another benefit is that it covers a little bit more territory with each swing. FYI, it's also a little easier to pinpoint your target with the smaller coil. All that said, I use the larger coil almost all the time now. Never know when you will need that inch!

Hope this helps

OP
OP
Hoosier

Hoosier

Apr 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Bridge End ,

I hope to put this year's finds towards another detector . I'm leaning towards a Whites . The Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 is a great detector for the money. The nickels even show up decent on the display and you dig very few pull tabs. I bought my 10yr old daughter a BH Elite 2200 and I'm not very happy with it. The swing weight is great for her but I can't say to much good about it. The pinpointing on this unit is terrible .

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Hoosier said:
Bridge End ,

I hope to put this year's finds towards another detector . I'm leaning towards a Whites . The Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 is a great detector for the money. The nickels even show up decent on the display and you dig very few pull tabs. I bought my 10yr old daughter a BH Elite 2200 and I'm not very happy with it. The swing weight is great for her but I can't say to much good about it. The pinpointing on this unit is terrible .

well I run a whites and love it, check out a local club hunt and try what they folks are using. Most people will let you swing a bit with their machine at a hunt. Keep saving your clad and watch the ads here some good deals come up. as folks upgrade.

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
One of the machines I have is a bounty hunter as well and as the general concensus goes, most of the coins in a school yard (especially the wood chips) are only a few inches deep. I'm not aware if you can interchange your coil to a larger size. HH Art.

L

l2hunt

yes so very true, most of my finds are usually in the 4-6 inch range and really any detector will detect coins at this depth. and honestly digging beyond 6 inches tires me out LOL.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how much stuff is at a school!!!

DetectorRay

Greenie
Apr 15, 2012
Jonesboro, Ar
Detector(s) used
Radio Shacks finest coin beepin box, a Discovery 1000, recently bought a Cen-Tech pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who do you get permission from to md at school?

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Low and Slow. That what its all about..... BTW, any pre-65 dimes or quarters in your pile? 90% silver....

L

l2hunt

ray honestly, i would'nt worry too much about who to ask, from experience no one gets too concerned about this kind of activity, and this is from a guy who has worked for a school district for 29 years:)

L

l2hunt

so true mona lisa, same here in colorado as far as the 4" range, actually i'm finding all kind of clad in the 2-3 range, old farmsteads and schools for the most part.

DetectorRay

Greenie
Apr 15, 2012
Jonesboro, Ar
Detector(s) used
Radio Shacks finest coin beepin box, a Discovery 1000, recently bought a Cen-Tech pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, I did just that. nobody seemed to care.
I found some a bullet at the park though... idk anything about it..
I'm sure you guys can help me identify it... thanks

Attachments

• treasurenet_bullet.jpg
    treasurenet_bullet.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread