Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: School Yard Finds

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2008
    Tesoro Silver UMax , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
    1 times

School Yard Finds

I hunted a school yard today with a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 . I was wondering if switching to a 10 inch coil will improve reading coins deeper down ? I like the machine but I feel it doesn't read coins very deep. Below are my totals.

Quarters 5
    Dimes 6
    Nickels 2
    Pennies 16

Total : $ 2.11
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BH1.JPG 
Views:	708 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	203842  

us
    Jan 2005
    Great Falls, Montana
    White's DFX & a Sunray probe
    2 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: School Yard Finds

Welcome to the forum, Hoosier.

I can't help you with your bounty hunter...but I can say that most coins that I find are less than 6 inches deep. Even large cents are usually in the 4 inch range, so if your detector is going that deep, I wouldn't worry about it. Just slow down and you'll hear the deeper signals. 8)

us
    Apr 2007
    West Michigan
    White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

I agree, most of the coins are above 6 inches. I have heard that larger coils go deeper so if you are concerned give it a shot.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    West Michigan
    A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
    207 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Nice digs,

HH

us
    Your Only One Swing Away From Discovery

Dec 2006
    Florida
    Library
    30 times

Large coils do go deeper as the wave is a upside down cone and the bigger the cone the futher to the point. Understand? But the larger the cone the larger the area of detection will be and trashy areas will drive you nuts. That's when a smaller coil works better

As said just slow down and listen if your not using a headset get one. I don't know how long you been hunting so. You get 2 bucks a day in clad that is great and over 700 bucks in a year. 700 will buy you a fine machine next year with all kinds of accessories if you want to upgrade. Till then when you have time read more on sensitivity and discrimination. .
    Your Discovery Has History Count On It
    Enjoy the dig, treasure the time

us
    Apr 2008
    Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
    E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
    17 times

Hi Hoosier,
    Nice group of coins.

I hunt with a BH landstar. I wanted more depth, so I bought the 10" coil. Air testing showed that it gave me only an extra inch. That extra inch can mean everything with the right target, but I expected more of an increase. I guess another benefit is that it covers a little bit more territory with each swing. FYI, it's also a little easier to pinpoint your target with the smaller coil. All that said, I use the larger coil almost all the time now. Never know when you will need that inch!

Hope this helps
    Hot zone likes this.
    God bless our veterans! Thank you for your sacrifices!

us
    Apr 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
    3 times

Welcome to the forum! Nice job on the coins!
    Anyone can make life interesting you just have to go out there and do things instead of sitting on your butt doing nothing. Second quote: Life is about trying new things not just standing around.

Apr 2008
    Tesoro Silver UMax , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
    1 times

Bridge End ,

I hope to put this year's finds towards another detector . I'm leaning towards a Whites . The Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 is a great detector for the money. The nickels even show up decent on the display and you dig very few pull tabs. I bought my 10yr old daughter a BH Elite 2200 and I'm not very happy with it. The swing weight is great for her but I can't say to much good about it. The pinpointing on this unit is terrible .
    Hot zone likes this.

us
    Your Only One Swing Away From Discovery

Dec 2006
    Florida
    Library
    30 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier
    Bridge End ,

I hope to put this year's finds towards another detector . I'm leaning towards a Whites . The Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 is a great detector for the money. The nickels even show up decent on the display and you dig very few pull tabs. I bought my 10yr old daughter a BH Elite 2200 and I'm not very happy with it. The swing weight is great for her but I can't say to much good about it. The pinpointing on this unit is terrible .

well I run a whites and love it, check out a local club hunt and try what they folks are using. Most people will let you swing a bit with their machine at a hunt. Keep saving your clad and watch the ads here some good deals come up. as folks upgrade.
    Your Discovery Has History Count On It
    Enjoy the dig, treasure the time

us
    Oct 2005
    Goose Creek, South Carolina
    Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
    4 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

One of the machines I have is a bounty hunter as well and as the general concensus goes, most of the coins in a school yard (especially the wood chips) are only a few inches deep. I'm not aware if you can interchange your coil to a larger size. HH Art.

us
    May 2012
    Colorado
    Whites M-6, with the 10" dd, 9.5 and the 6 x 10 coils.
    79 times
    Metal Detecting
    yes so very true, most of my finds are usually in the 4-6 inch range and really any detector will detect coins at this depth. and honestly digging beyond 6 inches tires me out LOL.

us
    Feb 2010
    Maryland
    Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
    99 times
    It's amazing how much stuff is at a school!!!

us
    Ray

Apr 2012
    Jonesboro, Ar
    Radio Shacks finest coin beepin box, a Discovery 1000, recently bought a Cen-Tech pin pointer.
    Metal Detecting
    Who do you get permission from to md at school?

us
    Aug 2008
    Great finds hoosier, i love hunting schools!

us
    Dec 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
    305 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Low and Slow. That what its all about..... BTW, any pre-65 dimes or quarters in your pile? 90% silver....
    Respect the research and permissions of others...Seriously...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors