Iron Brigade--One HECK of a GOLD button!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I teamed up with HB and Rodeo Recon for an interesting housesite hunt in the woods a few days ago. While we were waiting for HB to arrive, we took the 4-wheeler through the woods and across a creek to try and track down one other site for future hunts (we were on the edge of it when he arrived, but elected to hunt the wooded site and save the other one). Here's a photo of the fallow field near where we started out:

Pasture.jpg

So after collecting HB, we tightened up our boots and slogged through the mud and into the tick and poison ivy infested woods. :tard: After a little diversion at a newer house site (I dug a toy car and a memorial penny :-\ ), we found the old spot. :wink:

Well let me tell you, in these woods it looked like someone had come along and sowed poison ivy seeds! The plants were about calf-high, and there were spots where there were 30 x 30 foot patches of it. :o (And of course those Nasty roots below ground) We waisted no time in bashing through the stuff with our detectors, shovels, and gloves. I was a little careful since I had a short-sleeved shirt on, but none of us ended up with any of it on us--except that Rodeo had a tiny patch today right above where his glove line was. :thumbsup:

The woods were sloppy, wet, ticky, and ivy-filled...but they were beautiful.

Raindrop.jpg

Raindrops.jpg

Here's a shot of Rodeo and HB getting the job done in True Iron Brigade Style:

Rodeo.jpg

HB.jpg

Well, we found that the artifact dispersal at this housesite was HUGE--more than three times the norm for this area. Well over two square acres had targets everywhere, and when we finally left hours later we were still getting hits all over the place. So we'll be busy with this one for a while.

The finds... Well of course we got the usual housesite culprits: Suspender Clips, Harmonica Reeds, a Toe Tap, and Spoons. Rodeo got an excellent brass wedding band (this is becoming a regular housesite item too). HB got a large copper plate (no maker's mark on it), a brass escutcheon with keyhole, oil lantern tops, a clay marble, and some odd pieces of (chewed?) lead. I'm a big fan of the copper plate and the marble. :thumbsup:

plate.jpg

lock plate and marble.jpg

lead.jpg

I got nothing spectacular--just the usual culprits (I'm probably still doing MD penance for the CW buckles last month) but I did get a nice suspender clip of a new type (every one is a new type though LOL) which I was pretty pleased with. It has a horseshoe hanging by a ribbon on it. (I guess the old adage about the good luck falling out of the horseshoe if you turned it upside down is a more recent invention...) Here's a photo of my finds:

My Finds.jpg

I don't have photos of all of Rodeo's finds, but he certainly did a number on us with some unusual finds. He got a large brass saddle pommel, a hand-crank siren with a spiral shaped brass bell, some ornate decorative brass, and a button that is actually quite remarkable...

The style of the button is the "muffin style" of Civil War Staff Officers' buttons and State Seal buttons...and the backmark is "Scovill Mfg Co. Waterbury," which dates the button to somewhere between 1879 and 1890. Plus the fact that it is a BEAUTIFUL button--with more than 80% of the gilding remaining. I have never seen a button like this... I'm guessing that it could be Civilian, but if it is a State Seal it's not a Seal that I'm all that familiar with. Perhaps someone on the forum can give me more information about this Beauty.

A BIG BRAVO to Rodeo for his Expert cleaning of this find:

Button.jpg

Button and Wheat.jpg

Button Backmark.jpg

Now stop reading my post and get diggin'!

Best Wishes from the Iron Brigade,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
long read but was worth it. You built the suspenses lol. GREAT FIND :thumbsup:

I hope i can start findin stuff like that

SEMPER FI :sunny:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Will, try looking up Indiana for the button, it is hard to tell but I see similarities to Indiana state seal buttons listed in my CW Military Goods book.

After looking in Alberts book on buttons, yes it is an Indiana staff button.

Don

Attachments

• Indiana.jpg
    Indiana.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 983
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial KirkPA said:
Don't you "Pros" wear headphones? :icon_scratch: :wink:

Nice research, Bucks! Keep on digging and swinging! :thumbsup:

Kirk :coffee2:

Frequently, yes--but not when the humidity is 100% and poison ivy all over our gloves. ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,
You guys are crazy!!! :o Man, I'm itching just thinking of that poison ivy. ;D :wink: Congrats on the finds. Can't wait to hear more on that cool button. What a neat find. Great condition too. :thumbsup:
Way to go guys.
-MM-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Nice post Will, try looking up Indiana for the button, it is hard to tell but I see similarities to Indiana state seal buttons listed in my CW Military Goods book.

Don

Don,

You're Absolutely Right!

Here's another version of the Indiana State Seal:

Indiana State Seal.gif

So this was from an Indiana Staff Officer's Uniform, post CW...

Now it's getting interesting!  Thanks for the tip, Don!  

I'm already wondering if there's a belt plate there... drooling a little on my keyboard as I say that. 

-Buckles

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and a great post and pics Buckles. That button is superb. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Glad a little poison ivy did not stop you. Are the mesqitoes out yet?
I love hunting the woods but it can be painful.
Congrats on a fine hunt.
Regards , Merf

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merf said:
Great finds and a great post and pics Buckles. That button is superb. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Glad a little poison ivy did not stop you. Are the mesqitoes out yet?
I love hunting the woods but it can be painful.
Congrats on a fine hunt.
Regards , Merf

Thank GOD they're not out yet. That would have been a triple beating! Thanks for your kind comments, Merf.

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BB,
You guys are crazy!!! :o Man, I'm itching just thinking of that poison ivy. ;D :wink: Congrats on the finds. Can't wait to hear more on that cool button. What a neat find. Great condition too. :thumbsup:
Way to go guys.
-MM-

MM,

"Crazy" gets the good finds dug. 8)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BB
excellent finds,but boy I gotta give ya credit, thats a hell of a lot of poison ivy ... holey moley am suprised ya all dont have it yet... cool finds too..

went hunting myself today, will post later..

bootybay

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice old button man

HH Jer

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Some great finds again! That button is amazing and glad you are finding info on it. Good luck on your next hunt! :thumbsup:

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellant Post B.B. :icon_thumleft: :hello2: :icon_thumright:

I'd love to see pix of all the finds but that state seal button is killer !!
Sad the ivy of poison is taking over SO FAST ! :BangHead: :sad5:

The spring prime hunting window is closing fast !

Cool post and finds !

Derek :thumbsup:

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220 and Minelab X-Terra-70
Don in SJ said:

After looking in Alberts book on buttons, yes it is an Indiana staff button.

Don

Will....I think Don is on to something there....can see similarity. Nice find. TomB

DUH! I'm a little slow...should have read all the post before I opened my trap ::)
I guess...roflmao

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post BB. Thats a large artifact dispersal you're talking about. Any chance there were two house sites situated near each other? That button is awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that field is absolutely beautiful; great shot. I could lose myself there :)

Well, I have to admit there's no stoppin' you guys! But I know from experience that goin' where no one in their right mind would hunt, you've got a great chance of some nice digs :)

Last spring I went through patches of brush and thorn bushes in an old park on my hands and knees. Walked out of there bleeding like a pig :D Somehow, I didn't pick up any ticks or poison ivy but did manage 2 LC's and a couple of nice flat buttons.

Congrats on the button! That's a beauty! Go Iron Brigade!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread