COLONIAL OR CIVIL WAR KNIFE - PRE 1800? COULD BE THE FIRST BOWIE???

LOCKOUTKINGS

Greenie
May 13, 2008
I DUG UP THIS KNIFE IN THE HILLS OF CENTRAL NY,I FOUND IT WITH MY METAL DETECTOR. IT WAS ABOUT 10-15 INCHES DEEP. ITS CONSTRUCTED OF COPPER, BRASS/BRONZE WOOD AND REDDISH CLAY.I THINK ITS COLONIAL OR CIVIL WAR ERA.I HAVE NOT FOUND THE BODY YET!LOL

ONE SIDE OF THE HANDLE COMES OFF DUE TO ME DROPPING IT AND THE CLAY CHIPPED OFF.THERE WAS A OLD PILE OF BRICKS SCATTERED AROUND THE SITE, SO MABEY THAT HELPED REDUCE DAMAGE..

!index1.jpg
!index2.jpg
!index3.jpg
!index4.jpg

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man,

Here I re sized it for easy viewing. I wonder about this knife too, can someone please I.D it.

Keep @ it and HH!!

!index1.jpg

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15 inches deep in the heavy snowed upon hills of NY and the wooden handle has no damage? :icon_scratch:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is my friend so treat him with the utmost respect. The knife has no damage HAHA! The thing is like a puzzle you have to put the pieces together to take a picture of the full knife.

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
L

LOCKOUTKINGS

Greenie
May 13, 2008
IT WAS PERFECT UNTIL I DROPPED IT THOUGH.THE WOOD WAS ORIGINALLY SOFT AND ALMOST ROTTEN UNTIL IT DRIED UP.THEN I CLEANED IT UP.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the point he was making is After more than 100 years in the ground, the wood on the handle would surely have rotted away!

OP
OP
L

LOCKOUTKINGS

Greenie
May 13, 2008
DON'T ASK ME, IM NOT THE ELEMENTS. I JUST DUG IT UP.THE HANDLE WAS SPONGY WHEN IT CAME OUT OF THE GROUND.THANK THE SUN FOR DRYING IT UP.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...remember, nothing can rot without oxygen.

HH
-GC

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOCKOUTKINGS said:
Don't be so sensitive girls, i am just posting a find like you all.

That's a great way to garner respect ::)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Secondly,

IMHO I doubt any knife other than a replica would have been made with a clay handle. It would be too brittle to be useful, especially in the rugged conditions of the time.

OP
OP
L

LOCKOUTKINGS

Greenie
May 13, 2008
the only part that is CLAY is the part that holds the wood into place.under the wood it is all metal.if you look at the blade, it curves as you get to the center of the cutting edge.This makes it apparent that is has been heavily used.

OP
OP
L

LOCKOUTKINGS

Greenie
May 13, 2008
not to mention, any replica that I have ever seen has screws that hold the handle into place.there is no screws holding the wood handle against the metal frame handle. only clay.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool find!!! I only find the broken glasses from the fights...just joking.

I might be wrong but it looks like a knife that someone made from an old bayonet. Does the backside of the handle have a slot where something may have slipped into it?

Again I might be wrong.

Congrats on the find.

HH

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still what a cool find. It's one of those things that you have to see in person to find those details that are important that no one else notices. It is like the picture I have with my name, the little terracotta head. No one seems to know what it is. I do, but to share what it is takes the intrigue out of it.

The reason I thought it looked like a bayonet was because of the cap that is on the end of the handle. It resembles an M1 bayonet. The rest of the handle and the blade of course look nothing like an M1 bayonet. The blade looks very old like ones those I have seen on old swords on my trips over seas.

If you find out more of what it is let us know.

HH

JP

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,

Not the warm welcome I am used to seeing on Treasurenet. ??? Why dose everyone have to jump down his throut.... :-\ Just Welcome him to treasurenet, guess what you think the find is and move on. :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!! :dontknow:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Wow,

Not the warm welcome I am used to seeing on Treasurenet. ??? Why dose everyone have to jump down his throut.... :-\ Just Welcome him to treasurenet, guess what you think the find is and move on. :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!! :dontknow:

Mud,

That's why I stopped posting my finds. Too many critics, not many kind words. Most people on here are great people and not judgemental but there's a few bad eggs out there....

But back to the knife. It looks neat. It's old. Too bad some of the experts don't jump in to id it.....

Lockoutkings I didn't realize you're new here. Welcome to Tnet. Don't let whoever's critique keep you from posting your finds. Most people on here are great people and go out of their way to help you. Let us know if you find out more about the knife

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread