Darlas texas treasures servant button pics!!

D

Darla

Darla's texas treasures servant button pics!!

Servants button found in Texas, from Brierfield plantion. Back has the numbers 1852 which we believe is a possible date. Their is the initials G.T. also.
When the button was dug I had a friend of mine with me, we had to cut through some roots at about 8 inches deep and he had the knife so he came to assist me. Besides the button a square nail also came out of the hole. I think I have dug enough square nails to build a house!! When the button came out of the ground his 1st words were not another button :( . His day had not gone as well detecting although I recall some of my days not being as good as his. Alot of good old finds have come from the same site. The information that I have is that the servants that worked at some of the plantations wore these buttons on their jackets. I was told the plantation owner had to be pretty well off to have these for his servants. Reasearch points us to one of Jefferson Davis' plantations, he had 3 plantations called Brierfield. I guess I am still a novice at detecting because I consider all my finds even scrap medal to have a story behind it and get excited when I pull something special out of the ground that has been lost for over a hundred or two years or so. I enjoy detecting old home site because I know that if my detector goes off their is a better chance of finding something old as apposed to the beach, my hat goes off to all of you that go through the pull tabs to find that gold ring!! :)
Any information on this button is appreciated.

Happy detecting, I have to get back to breaking another nail, but it's worth it!!

Darla

Upvote 0

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

what a fantastic find. Nice going. I'll take another button like that anyday!!!Lance

Attachments

• 20160207_123210.jpg
    20160207_123210.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
D

Darla

I agree lance, I would like to find the whole jacket with buttons. This wone best find at last weeks meeting, I was told where this was found a slave tag might also be found. I did pull out of the ground a slave chain, incomplete alst summer for the same property. I he day after our meeting I went back to the area where the button was dug looking for a slave tag. After about 30 min my detector went off with a very good target signal, I pulled a tag out of the ground at 6 inches a square tag with a small hole at the top, copper maybee? My heart skipped a beat could this be a slave tag? I saw words on the tag and ran home to clean it off. As I cleaned it off I found out that it was a very old DOG TAG. Yes I was dissapointed but I new the odds of it being a slave tag was few and far between but for one brief moment................................

take care lance

Darla

Attachments

• DSCN1975.JPG
    DSCN1975.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1976.JPG
    DSCN1976.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1974.JPG
    DSCN1974.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
OP
OP
D

Darla

Its not gold and it doesn't come with a big diamond but it did put a great big smile on my face!

Happy detecting,

Darla

OP
OP
D

Darla

thanks Marc !

I like your colonial/spanish blade it is way cool!!

Darla

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread