Struck Gold with the Ace 250!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
I was doing a little hunting at a local park. It was really trashy but managed
to get a quarter then a penny. Stopped to light a smoke and noticed the people up at the pavilion were going to their cars, So I decided to head that way and while not even swinging the coil, took a step and heard a nickel signal. I figured it was a tab but thought "what the heck" I could use an extra nickel. Cut a flap and nothing in the dirt..scanned the flap from the bottom and still nothing. Turned the flap over and scanned it again. Bingo! there was my signal again. Started to scrape the little bit of dirt from the roots and out popped the bottom of the ring. Pulled it out and couldn't believe my eyes...7 beautifully cut Rubies set in 14k-I almost walked away from it.

Attachments

• rubyring2.jpg
    rubyring2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,186
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME! TOTALLY AWESOME!! Congrats and wlcome to the forum.Keep em comin

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Welcome to the Gold Club, dad! Now that you have gold fever you will be thinking of hunting your next park or field while you are currently hunting one. At least it's a manageable sickness... just keep swinging and everything is right as rain!

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
jimmy5503 said:
AWESOME! TOTALLY AWESOME!! Congrats and wlcome to the forum.Keep em comin

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for awhile drooling over everone's great finds. Still have not found any silver, but I'm a whole lot more opimistic about it now after finding gold and gems. :icon_sunny:
John

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent!!

HH

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Awesome find...Cool way to post the pic in a tire! Keep er up......

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Welcome to T-Net Mr. Liter!
That ring's a beaut! I personally dig a lot of pulltabs and occasionally am rewarded.
But, not with anything which compares to your find!
Congrats!!!

GRB

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you least expect it, BLING!! That's what I love about this hobby. When you think about giving up, something like this always happens to keep you addicted. M :-* nty

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Monty said:
When you least expect it, BLING!! That's what I love about this hobby. When you think about giving up, something like this always happens to keep you addicted. M :-* nty

Well, I wasn't ready to give up just yet but I was getting pretty discouraged that I hadn't found any silver yet.
Just started this hobby sometime in March-08, and also introduced my 2 adult sons to it. They each have detectors and both had already found gold rings. I was getting bored with picking clad from the local tot lots and decided to go somewhere different. I didn't realize it at the time of the ring find, but it was found in the middle of a fairway for disc golf. Now that I think about it, seems like a great place for a ring to fly off your finger.

P

Pentico

And the ACE 250 strikes again!
Congrats on the ring, lovely!
D Nugget

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Great gold ring. I'm always afraid I'll pass one by not digging all those pull tab signals. It did ring as a pull-tab signal correct. In some trashy areas I'd be digging every second if I dug every pull-tab. This scares me to what I might be leaving behind. Nice find!

OP
OP
litefire56

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
relichunters said:
That is one of the most beautiful rings ever! are you going to try to find the owner?

I wouldn't even know how to go about finding the owner, as there are no initials or markings other than the 585 hallmark. I do believe however that it was Karma that I found it. To make a long story short, I started MD just this March with a BH Lonestar. Soon after I started lurking the sights and upon seeing Crackbadgers vids on Youtube, my eldest son and I decided to order Ace 250's. When we received them I packed up the BH and sent it to my 2nd oldest son, stationed in FL. with the CoastGuard. 2 days later he calls to inform me that he found a 18k 9-10 gr. mens band. A couple weeks after that my eldest son and I were off to FL. to spend 4 straight days and nights hunting the beaches with son #2. Well, I didn't find much, a couple wheats in a park but my oldest found a 14k mens band in 18" of water. But.....while hunting a park in Sarasota, a homeless guy came up to me and asked if I found anything good. I told him no, hoping he wouldn't ask me for a handout. Then he says "look what I found" and holds out a ladies class ring from 1951 Manatee County H.S. with 3 initials engraved inside. I asked him what he planned on doing with it, and he says he wanted to pawn it to buy smokes but didn't have an I.D.--I offered him $20 and the deal was done. I thought it would be fun to research the net for the owner when I returned from the trip. And if I couldn't find her at least I would have come back with gold, which was the whole intention of the trip.

Well the morning that I found the gold and Ruby ring I had received a call back from the yearbook dept. informing me that they had found only 1 girl in the 1951 yearbook with those 3 initials. They are now trying to track her or her surviving family down. They are also contacting the local media with the story. I will update
this in the future as more info comes in.
I guess what goes around, comes around....

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
great find :thumbsup: great story on your hunt and the recovery of the class ring.

Just goes to show you could be only one swing away from an amazing discovery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread