First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! Plus, got my first Barber Dime!!!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Hey all,
You may recall reading my post about having problems with my Bounty Hunter 505...the main problem being not finding any silver, and only diggin 3 or 4 coins deeper than 4 inches in four months. I KNEW there was silver down there, I just couldn't get to it with that BH. I did get a 1939 Washington Quarter at 8 to 10 inches, but it read as a penny until I had it out of the ground, and it was in loose rocks, not packed clay...
Anyway, I loved the BH, but I had to upgrade...to a White's MXT! This thing is a hot rod. She is a nickel slayin', silver seeking, gold diggin' son of a gun, and I am in love!!! The first 2 1/2 hours got me a silver Rosie at 7.5" measured (only my third silver, and my first dime past 3 1/2 inches), a necklace (junk) and $7.50 in clad (a chunk of which was nickels). The next 2 1/2 hours netted me an additional $4.20 in clad, the below 1951 Rosie (7" measured), and some more to be mentioned in the story below, but first the Rosies...
first2rosies.jpg

I found the '51 in a place I have been over with the BH three times, this time the dime was singing to me through those headphones...then, about 2 feet away, I got a slightly more faint sound, saying 1c-10c, pinpointing at 8". I said to myself "this has got to be that Merc...finally!"...it was right, I was wrong! Here she is, my first Barber...
toms 007.jpg
1st barber 1905.jpg

After that, I found out that it was hard to metal detect while staring at a coin, so I decided to go home and have a steak and a beer whilst staring at my Barber (coin that is...lol). I couldn't take it, so I finished the beer, grabbed my new MXT (carefully, gingerly) and went back to the park. Wasn't there 10 minutes, and I got a signal (screwcap to zinc penny, 6") that turned out to be my oldest coin to date! 1895!
toms 005.jpg
1895 IH back.jpg

Before this, my oldest coin was an 1899 IH (found my first day with the BH at four inches). Man I love those Indians, and now the Barbers too!!!
Thanks for lookin' and I hope you enjoyed the story/pics! And, thanks in advance for the comments!

~Tom

Upvote 0

sonny60

Jul 20, 2007
Falmouth, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, got a Barber! UPDATE with clean IH

beautiful finds WTG

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, got a Barber! UPDATE with clean IH

That detector switch is really paying off for you, nice finds.
JDD

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

Thanks everyone!

RELICDUDE, thanks, yeah I love this machine, she is certainly deep (can I say that?)

juju, I like the "pinto to Cadillac" comment! Tell your bro I said thanks for servin'.

*prolab69, I think it's more than just luck! And, you're right, when I take some dirt off of the really deep ones the MXT locks right on.

washingtonian, my BEST day so far! thanx!

Bridge end farm, I am really enjoying the comparison, going back over my old hunting grounds...

*liftloop, thanks, the MXT is a knob adjuster, so there are no programs, but I was running a little hot on the gain (10), preset on the Disc, and with the threshold just barely audible.

MUD S.W.A.T., thanks bro!

Nick Pappagiorgio, first of all, lets talk about that picture...man that's disturbing! Looks like me! go back to the other one...lol second, I will rock on bro, it's good to be a Missourian!

*Detectingfreak, I know I was having a hard time justifying the big buy, but let me tell you, she was worth every cent!

*Ironically, I actually bought my MXT with the money I made recycling scrap iron and copper...lol

*unklwade, congrats on the upgrade...for the pictures, I actually played with my camera a lot, found the portrait setting, tweaked it just a hair, then I place the object on a white sheet of paper, set up good lighting, take the picture (I find it works best if you use just a hair of zoom) and then edit it in powerpoint. I also have an 8.5 megapixal camera...that helps.

*Mike Moutray, thanks! These pictures are actually sized down about 50 to 75 percent. The detail is far better before I edit.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I REALLY enjoy clear, large pictures when it comes to old coins and relics. I like to see the details.

Thanks again all! If you have any more questions/comments feel free!

~Tom

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds Tom :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That Barber is a treat and the IH is much better than most. Great job and post :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, got a Barber! UPDATE with clea

Amazing isnt it...the Ole M.X.T.!!!I bought one when they first came out and then my Dad started detecting with me with a BountyHunter and was getting nothing but frustrated and needed a simple machine to just turn on and go,so I gave him my M.X.T and bought myself an X.L.T.I found lots of great stuff with it but I missed the simplicity and ability to sniff out gold so I traded the X.L.T. for another M.X.T.I love it and have found deeper stuff I missed before.Try the 6x9 elitical coil....you will really like it once you get used to pinpointing with it which is simple.Man you pictures are killer as well,probably the best I have seen on the net!Way to go!!! :thumbsup:

unclejesse67

Mar 9, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
MXT300

Nice Job. Sounds like a great day. What coil are you using? I bought an MXT a couple months ago as my first detector and I feel like I'm just starting to get good with it. I learned alot from experimenting with burying different coins at different depths. The VDI gets questionable at depths over about 6" so I've been more focused on the tone lately.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

Thanks Merf and Thunter 1! Can't wait to show some more.

Kuger, I am amazed by this thing! I did A LOT of research (to include reading the engineer report, and the owners manual about five times a peice) I also read all of the reviews I could find. There are a lot of metal detectors out there that a lot of people like, but I found that MXT users were nearly fanatical! And now I know why. Thanks for the suggestion about the coil, I have been having a hard time deciding which one to get, and thanks ofr the compliment on the pics! I know I love good pics. HH

unclejesse67, Thanks! I am using the standard 950 coil, but I am looking for the right one to buy! HH

~Tom

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That Barber has to be a $100 coin. Congrats! Todd

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, got a Barber! UPDATE with clea

You might like the small 5.3 or Snooper also or the other direction and the Bigfoot.I have them all and they each shine in the right setting.Then if you want depth there is the Super 12!!I also run mine in the Relic mode,you get a little more depth too.

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt

congrats on the coins and the MXT i love mine and am constantly finding coins i missed before i upgraded last year keep on swingin and you will find even more good stuff once you get completely used to it..

your not that far from me we should try to get together one weekend for a hunt
PM me if your interested

geodawn

Mar 24, 2007
Fort Atkinson, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are incredible finds! Glad the new detector is working out for you!

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250

Sweet finds! I got my first barber dime about a week ago and I was psyched and it is no where near as nice as yours. I bet you'll have trouble thinking about much else til you get back out there.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

hogge said:
That Barber has to be a $100 coin. Congrats! Todd

Thanks a lot for your posts everyone...
hogge, I don't know much about coin pricing, can you tell me more? Is this coin really worth some money...just looking on the net I thought it would only be worth like $5-$10. Thanks a lot for the info!

EVERYONE: Please take a stab at grading my coin. If you know much about it, or if you have one of those publications on grading coins, I would appreciate why you think it is this grade! THANKS!

~Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread