First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! Plus, got my first Barber Dime!!!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Hey all,
You may recall reading my post about having problems with my Bounty Hunter 505...the main problem being not finding any silver, and only diggin 3 or 4 coins deeper than 4 inches in four months. I KNEW there was silver down there, I just couldn't get to it with that BH. I did get a 1939 Washington Quarter at 8 to 10 inches, but it read as a penny until I had it out of the ground, and it was in loose rocks, not packed clay...
Anyway, I loved the BH, but I had to upgrade...to a White's MXT! This thing is a hot rod. She is a nickel slayin', silver seeking, gold diggin' son of a gun, and I am in love!!! The first 2 1/2 hours got me a silver Rosie at 7.5" measured (only my third silver, and my first dime past 3 1/2 inches), a necklace (junk) and $7.50 in clad (a chunk of which was nickels). The next 2 1/2 hours netted me an additional $4.20 in clad, the below 1951 Rosie (7" measured), and some more to be mentioned in the story below, but first the Rosies...
first2rosies.jpg

I found the '51 in a place I have been over with the BH three times, this time the dime was singing to me through those headphones...then, about 2 feet away, I got a slightly more faint sound, saying 1c-10c, pinpointing at 8". I said to myself "this has got to be that Merc...finally!"...it was right, I was wrong! Here she is, my first Barber...
toms 007.jpg
1st barber 1905.jpg

After that, I found out that it was hard to metal detect while staring at a coin, so I decided to go home and have a steak and a beer whilst staring at my Barber (coin that is...lol). I couldn't take it, so I finished the beer, grabbed my new MXT (carefully, gingerly) and went back to the park. Wasn't there 10 minutes, and I got a signal (screwcap to zinc penny, 6") that turned out to be my oldest coin to date! 1895!
toms 005.jpg
1895 IH back.jpg

Before this, my oldest coin was an 1899 IH (found my first day with the BH at four inches). Man I love those Indians, and now the Barbers too!!!
Thanks for lookin' and I hope you enjoyed the story/pics! And, thanks in advance for the comments!

~Tom

Upvote 0

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, skipped the merc and got a Barber!

Very nice finds.. A good machine can find alot older, deeper relics ..Its going to get real fun for you now..Goodluck.. Relic

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, skipped the merc and got a Barber!

Thanks a lot RD, I can't wait to hit some of those areas that I couldn't get to produce before!

~Tom

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I also swing an MXT. It is great goin from a pinto to a cadillac. Congrats. :icon_pirat:

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

nice! the MXT is a good machine. looks like you are off to a good start with it!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very sweet/shinny finds!

HH
-GC

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You will love that machine man, it has treated me well. Congrats on the Barber :thumbsup:

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My hunting partner uses an MXT and has incredible luck with it, just be prepared to dig deep!! theres been a few times I thought he would pull a chinaman out of one of his holes. Study the tones,
dig a few iffies. I know with my whites when I get some dirt out of the hole it locks more clearly onto the target. good luck and keep em coming.
Pro-

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX

Fantastic man it looks like you had a really nice day

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

Thanks a lot guys/gals for your comments. The place I am hunting is an old park from the early 1900's, but this place was settled 60 years before that, and there are rumors that there was a house there before the park...can't wait to get back at it!

th_thanks.gif

~Tom

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Ah, the thrill of those older coins! Congrats on those milestones!

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used

I cleaned up the IH a bit....thought you would like to see...
toms 005.jpg 1895 IH clean F.jpg

1895 IH back.jpg 1895 IH clean B.jpg

Thanks for lookin'!

~Tom

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, got a Barber! UPDATE with clean IH

great finds flyer :thumbsup:

like the comment of going from a pinto to a caddy lol

sounds like you have some sweet places to go back over again :thumbsup:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Re: First 5 hours with MXT nets oldest coin! And, got a Barber! UPDATE with clean IH

Nice finds,

That barber looks great. The mxt is a caddy compared to the BH. My brother had one for yrs. Then he moved up to a dfx. Great unit though for the money. Your gonna find alot more now. The mxt is very sensitive to tiny objects. I've seen it hit BB sized items with a good response.

HH Jer

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Congrats on your MTX and all that silver and indian.Your Barber is in real nice shape :thumbsup:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: you got to love those mxts. there the tops, nice fined factory pree set or what.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome looking barber !!

Killer hunting !

Keep @ it and HH!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guess I don't have to tell you, you're gonna LOVE that MXT, huh? ;D

Fantastic finds, Tom! Keep 'em coming!!!!

Congrats! Nana :wink:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Very nice job! Yup upgrading sure helps! I am running a Tracker IV metal detector right now and got it on the internet for $100. I am going to upgrade to a minelab Explorer SE for $1300 in just a few weeks. Its awesome that you have had a great success with your new machine! keep up the hunting! :thumbsup:

quaidmon

Apr 8, 2007
New Jersey

Great finds. I upgraded to an MXT a few weeks ago. Still looking for an IH. One question how do you get that much detail in the pictures?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread