Iron Brigade: Complete CW Spur AND Colonial SILVER!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I've been out pounding some ground with part of the Iron Brigade this week--diehard hunting. We decided to hit an old spot I've been saving for a while. So BonzaiBrandi, Rodeo Recon, and I headed out to the site. Now this spot was out in some Beautiful countryside, so let me first give you all a feel for the area we were in...

Note: The abandoned house on the hill in the first photo is Much too NEW of a site for us, so we didn't even bother to hunt it. :wink:

abandoned house on hill.jpg

creek.jpg

fisher strikes again.jpg

horse.jpg

So we started pounding spots on this Colonial farm...we hit two ooooold housesites, plus the area surrounding the spring and the old road approaching the sites. The first good signal I got (within 10 minutes of turning on my Fisher) was a nice domed Colonial button (stippled design on the front, with a little remaining gold left). At this point, I knew that it could be a VERY good day. :thumbsup:

button.jpg

button back.jpg

Pretty soon Rodeo yelled that he had a coin. I was pretty amazed to see this in the side of the plug:

penny.jpg

Maybe my perception was off a little, because I felt sure that this would be a LC or early copper, but it was actually an IH...

We continued to dig some wheats :tard: and flat buttons. Rodeo then got half of a Colonial brass Jew's Harp. :thumbsup:

I was determined not to get too skunked...and thankfully I managed to get a piece of a Colonial trade pipe in the plowed garden, along with an unfinished arrowhead. Here's a photo of the broken pipe bowl:

pipe.jpg

Then while I was scanning the soft dirt for other items, I saw Rodeo running toward me with an expression on his face that I just have to describe in detail...it was halfway between Sh_t-Eating Grin and Oh My God. ::) Needless to say I very gently and slowly laid my baby down in the garden dirt and then booked it across the property to see what he had found. :P

When I got there, I saw this:

real in dirt.jpg

real in dirt close-up.jpg

I couldn't help but cheer when I saw the coin in the dirt. Rodeo had broken into the 1700's BIG TIME with a 1797 One Real. :thumbsup: Rodeo--that first silver of 2008 was WELL worth the wait, eh? :wink:

We then relocated to higher ground in search of a Colonial church site. We kept are detectors on the whole way, due to the CW activity in the area. When we got on top of the hill, immediately Rodeo said "I've got a SPUR!" We went running over to see the Beauty--a complete spur with a tiny piece of bootstrap still remaining--and even the rowel intact!

spur uncleaned.jpg

leather.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After yet another wheat penny and a three-ring minie ball, we realized that we’d been hunting for 8 hours straight! I decided to sit down and have a little break in a scenic spot:

resting.jpg

Here are a few photos of the finds—before and after clening:

finds uncleaned.jpg

finds cleaned.jpg

And Rodeo’s Beautiful One Real:

real obv.jpg

real rev.jpg

Regards,

Buckleboy

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures & nice haul as per norm.

PS. couldn't resist :D

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Colonial silver is awsome! WTG Hogge

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Great photos,really give you the feel of the place.Super finds and 8 straight hours of hunting!!You guys are crazed!BTW,I would love to hunt that house that was'nt old enough for you. ;D

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:wwwooww nice pics nice finds .love the country side

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! Rodeo is kicking some serious tail. :thumbsup:
Congrats on those fantastic finds. A spur & a reale, what a hunt. :icon_king:
What year was the IH?

Great shots as usual BB.

-MM-

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will, another good post and love the photos, nice countryside. LOL, I would not know how to hunt such open area! ::) :)
Rodeo has a nice piece of silver there, great condition one to boot. But, you all going to have to drop the Iron brigade name, sure don't see much of that!
The spur is a great find for sure and thanks for another photo story telling post.

Don

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
WOW!! Way to go, those are some amazing finds!
HH
Baggins

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pictures are downright awesome. I can almost feel the wind blowing through my hair when i read your post. What a great find rodeorecon made. I tip my metal detecting hat to him.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt and great finds Buck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Awesome post and pics

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Love all the pics of the KY countryside! Looks like you guys made out like bandits again, one of your "average" trips a year would be a stellar trip for me. Keep up the good work, love to see all the action pics. Love that Reale, can only imagine how it ended up way out in the country, that would be a story in itself......

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB those are great finds and so many of them. WOW

SKD

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's beautiful countryside! ... and the digs to go with it too! :thumbsup:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS!! Nice haul!! Good luck with the rest

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread