Clearwater Adventure or Beach Cache?

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I got up this morning, grabbed my MD stuff and stepped out into the pouring rain! As I steered my athsmatic pick-up truck toward Clearwater I was thinking "look at this rain! I must be nuts! I'll be the only one out there!" WRONG! After getting halfway across the Courtney Campbell Causeway, I discovered someone had rudely parked their car upside down in the roadway and the police were tuning everyone back to Tampa! Well after a one and a half hour detour(I got lost!), I finally arrived at Clearwater! I parked (another adventure itself!) and I reach into my glove box For some fresh batteries...no batteries so I thought I would just go anyway batteries seemed fresh..Wrong! I went off for more batteries, paid parking again, and hit the beach! My whites beach hunter was still acting weird, but I did the best I could under the circumstances and hunted at absotute min sensitivity to calm down the constant chatter. there were more folks out there with detectors than folks without and the beach was crowded! Luckey for me almost all of them were too smart to brave the surf, but not me! ::) I hunted down the surf line around the first drop cut. I found a strange earring, two ohio quarters a louisianna purchase nickel a clad nickel clad dime corroded penny AND 12 SUSAN B. ANTHONY DOLLARS!!!!!!!!! The dollars were all in the cut and in an area about ten feet long! I was bringing them up 2 and 3 at the scoop! I have never seen anything like it! Any theories? After that the sun came out and I had to flee to protect my head from over toasting! Good Hunting! omnicognic 8)

Attachments

• finds611.jpg
    finds611.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great going omni !! are they all 1979s? nice finds anyway.thanx for the post.HH

F

Floater

Sounds like you found a cache alright. If you can go back and that cut is still visible I would hunt the heck out of it. That many coins could have been a bank bag or other Item that snapped open and finally deposited it self where you were. Great find and that had to be exciting to find it all like that. Go Omni!! HH

OP
OP
omnicognic

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
when I got there, there was water piled up behind the high tide line and the tide was retreating in a hurry. All these cuts opened up as the trapped water escaped to the sea. I guess as the storm got further north the wind changed and all the water came back pretty quick, covering all the cuts. There were dozens of detectorist's out there and most of them were newbies judging by their "cutting hay" swing style!(coil a foot off the ground at each end of the swing!) Some even looked like they were practicing their golf swing! I did offer some of them some advice but there were too many to help them all, some even followed my advice! ;)

F

Floater

I love watching those guys. ROFL. That's OK they will all learn or the detector will be in the next garage sale. HH

KIXLSYD

Jun 9, 2005
Tacoma,WA
Wow, what a great find.....12 bucks in susan B. anthoney dollars seems like a pirets fortune to me. Id be so stoked.......ofcourse I got excited over the rusty nails and the dime i found this morning......Great find! Brad

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
8). Sounds like FUN 2 me! $12 paid for the extra parking and batt. and got a bit of jewelry to boot. A good day in any book. Look on the bright side, it will definitely be in your mind as a most memorable hunt. ;)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW!

Great haul of SBA's!

You sound like me detecting!

9ft surf!? who cares!?

down pouring rain with wind and lightning!? who cares!?

don't mind the mud slide going on over there- concentrate on what your detector is telling you!!

HH

Lonewolfe

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so cool, yea I think you stumbled opon a modern cache!

WTG, Keep it up and HH!!

Attachments

• WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 559
  • money2.gif
    money2.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 514
  • WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 514
  • money2.gif
    money2.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 520
OP
OP
omnicognic

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
the more I think about it the more I believe that someone had a birthday party and was tossing the coins in for the kids to find. or brought them for that and they didn't toss them (water too rough for swimming, etc.) or maybe one kid came up with all the coins and laid them on the beach. or the kids buried them for a treasure after the party? Hmmm.....

D

DanInMA

Happened to me Once....

...but with 13 quarters. There were more to be had, have but the incoming waves chased me and my (non waterproof) Explorer away. I've often wondered if they were lost together, or whether they just found the same hole. It seems I often find things of similar size/shape/weight clustered together. Yours is just too weird--wouldn't be enough around in nature to find the same hole. Maybe it was a coin roll. Great find! --Dan

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Omni,
You missed the other 2 I lost there. Don't ask how they were lost, longer story than your adventure getting there.
Glad you found them for me. I know it would make you feel great returning them to the owner. I can even identify them ;D

Congratulations on a great find!! You were braver than I today, I cleaned the garage :( :(.

Good luck and HH

Baddog1

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
Too bad about the coroded penny, but the rest are pretty good finds. Sounds like you turned a potentially bad day into a pretty good one. Thanks for the great story.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Omni! :D
Really nice finds!

Nana ;)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a little odd. Nice hunt! I like Floaters theory, lost bank roll, LOL! HH, Mike

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Wow, that is a little odd.? Nice hunt!? I like Floaters theory, lost bank roll, LOL!? HH, Mike
8) YEAH RIGHT! ME TOO! Congrats on the small cache.Don't forget to let us know what happened today! H.H.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread