Experience with a big 30s house

F

fueller

Experience with a big 30's house

A friend I work with recently purchased a nice big two story house built in the early 30's. It's near/in the historic part of town and has a double lot. He agreed to let me detect the yard a while back, they moved last week and I was able to spend about 7 hrs there yesterday and today. I'm going to forego the picture this time, but I'm going to list what I found and I also have a question. My feeling is that the house has been hunted heavily sometime in the past, however I'm still fairly new at this and my expectations might have been too high. I was really looking forward to this hunt, and while I'm not terribly dissapointed, I was sure I'd finally find my first silver quarter or Mercury dime. It seems like every place I go has quarters that date back to 1965 but nothing before. Is that a dead givaway that someone has cherry picked the silver? Anyway, here is the list. The only thing really new here for me was the Buffalo Nickel, it's my first.

Two MO. tax tokens, one dated 1955
One metal tag with a name and address and old phone number G12-5555
Two lead fired and disfigured bullets
one small earring, mayber silver
small silver kids ring
small alum. kids ring
brass shaving razor handle
belt buckle with a small anchor on the back side
One metal Montgomery Wards car club tag
A 50 cent merchandise token from J.C. Parsons & Bro. Harrisonville, MO
One pen with the name of a company, also with and old phone numver
A couple of unidentified metal whatsits
1 Buffalo Nicklel, date unreadable
1 1962 silver dime
1 round tag that might say APT 5
A handfull of clad and 7 wheaties dating back to 1920.

O.K. I searched this house hard for about 7 hrs. This house has the double lot, it also has an old, rock B-B-Q pit. Some nice old big trees, and it's on a corner. Seems like the kind of house that would have seen lots of kids and outdoor activity. So, in a general sense, assuming I searched the yard reasonably well, do the items found seem in order for the age and size of the yard, or has this probably been silver hunted a number of times??? I'm interested in hearing some opinions.

Oh, I should mention I hunted with very little discrimination. This was easy (for once) because it was by far the cleanest area I've ever hunted at. Very little trash, another reason I think it was hunted before.

Upvote 0

SILVERHOUND

Apr 19, 2003
RALEIGH,NC

still sounds like a productive hunt.Ive searched yards before that looked so promising only to come away with 1 or 2 nice finds.Ive also had really good days when unexpected.I would search the yard again, if you still can.I always go over a site a second or third time just to satisfy my curiosity and I cant tell you how many times Ive been shocked at what I missed the first time.Good luck................SILVERHOUND

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    454.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 22

Thonolan

Mar 20, 2003
Port Huron, MI

It sounds like there's most likely a lot more in that yard. Just hit it couple more times- it probably has never been hunted before.

D

Darla

I have hunted a house and property that was built in the 1840's, about 3 acres I guess. I have would of thought it to be hunted out now 3 or 4 times but everytime I go back I find something new. My advise is to keep hunting the property if you can.

happy detecting,

Darla

scotty

Oct 12, 2003
central missouri

From the description of the finds you made, I would say it has not been hunted before. If it has it was by an older detector that didn't reach very deep. The absence of newer trash and the abundance of older tokens and such indicates the site hasn't been hunted before. I would hunt it again, and go slow and hunt in a different pattern than last time. In other words if you hunted in a grid going north to south and back, then this time go crossways of that pattern grid. You will be surprised of what you miss on the first hunt , and even the second hunt on the same ground. HH Scotty

Attachments

• 20160402_090113.jpg
    20160402_090113.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20160402_090129.jpg
    20160402_090129.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 22

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread