Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Three Cents Worth, And a Warning

I have been noticing with much apprehension an alarming trend in regards to a certain individual’s postings of late. He will remain nameless, and although the finds that he mentions found are indeed true, (I will bear witness to that fact), his methods of detecting are in question. He may appear warm and witty, almost poet-like in his postings, but like a poisonous snake, his tongue is forked.
But I digress; please let me explain…..
It was a beautiful sunny day in Denver, (although every day is a beautiful day!), and after completing my various civic minded responsibilities, I decided to visit one of my favorite sites to detect, a site where an old 1870’s church was once located. Having found numerous wonderful coins and relics in the past, I hoped that this streak of detecting luck would hold out. Pausing only to help the occasional person of handicap as well as any elderly cross the dangerous intersection nearby, I resumed my detecting hunt. After detecting for about an hour, I noticed that dark, ominous clouds were starting to appear overhead. This is common in Colorado, so I had no major concern. It was then that I noticed a strange smell in the air. It smelled like a mixture of alcohol, vodka to be exact, as well as stale sweat. Thinking that it was coming from one of the many poor downtrodden individuals that frequent the alley ways of this area, I turned to offer my assistance, only to see a large, unshaven man swaying nearby, holding a detector in his shaking hands. “Why do ya keep helping those bums get across the streets?” “Let them crawl if they have to!” I explained that it was my and everyone’s civic duty, and as a former Explorer Scout, it was hard to get that form of kindliness out of my system.(Not that I ever would want to!) His response to that was simply, “Bah”. “Mind if I detect near ya?”, he asked, which I replied, “no, of course not!, Plenty of room here for all to hunt!” He then set up his detector and proceeded to hunt only inches from where I was detecting! Being the kindhearted person that I am, I said nothing. (When he soon realized that being so close to me caused his detector to not work properly, he moved away.) Still standing close by, I would notice that he seem to be watching my every move, as if he was trying to absorb my methods of searching the soil. After a while, I received a good signal, and bent down to dig it up. “What’d ya get, what’d ya get?” I heard him repeatedly ask. “Patience, my friend, let us see together what it may be” “Why, it appears to be an Indian Head Cent!” I proudly proclaimed. He then ripped it out my hand, stared at it, and then tossed it back to me. “Oh, I got a million of them, no big deal” “Ah, I replied, but you don’t have this particular one!” He then looked at me in a funny way, and then what appeared to be a smirk, appeared on his face. “Not yet”, I thought I heard him mumble. Being the kindhearted and caring person that I strive to be, I took no offense, and continued to detect. I then stopped detecting for a while so I could look for other areas that might be more productive. Taking my digging tool out of the pouch, I started scrapping the tops of some old bricks that were in the side of a wall. To my surprise, an 1856 3-Cent piece popped out! I couldn’t believe it! I never, ever thought that I would dig one of those here in Colorado, let alone without my detector! It’s not in the best shape, and it has a small hole in it, but I love it anyway! I then felt him hovering over me. “What did you just find?” I handed it to him, knowing that he would try and take it from me anyway. “I can’t believe you just found that! And you didn’t even use your detector!” “Guess it was just dumb luck!” I replied. “Please, may I have it back?” I asked. He tossed it at me, and then walked away. He then turned to me, and in a soft low voice, starting chanting something not unlike a nursery rhyme, not fully understandable, yet familiar, as if it was a song heard long ago but yet can never be fully remembered. That is when it all started. The Darkness. Odd, strange, unexplainable events started unfolding. Fully charged battery packs will suddenly show “low battery” I find myself walking over the same ground repeatedly, digging and redigging the same holes. Tired more often, and constantly complaining of leg and back pains. But the worst is, even though I may dig something nice, he who won’t be named will dig something better. I dig a local Denver token; he will dig an even rarer small town token. I find a burnt silver Roosevelt dime; he digs up a Seated Liberty dime. The man is unstoppable! I find a new Jefferson nickel, he’s not happy until he finds a Shield nickel! Civil War relics rarely found in Colorado are now nothing to him discovering! I now fear for my sanity, not only my previous wonderful detecting skills! This man will stop at nothing, I repeat, nothing, to satiate his own devious desires at finding items of historical and monetary value! He must be stopped! Ignore his attempts at swaying you with his keen wit, his finds have blood on them!

Attachments

• 3-Cent.jpg
    3-Cent.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,177
  • 3-Cent#2.jpg
    3-Cent#2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,158
Upvote 2

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Three Cents Worth, And a Warning

I'm reading this slowly Thinking

do I delete this for attacking another Member ?
do I Edit it ?
do I move it to General discussion after I'm done reading it ?
or leave it as is, and move it to rants ?

Good Post & Congrats on the finds !

Jeff

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Re: My Three Cents Worth, And a War

Nice finds. I can sale you a HEX remover but they are not cheap :D.
Dman

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Smelly ole geezer...Haa...very nice digs! ;D jgas

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you sensitive? Have you had other experiences? or is this the first

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter

lol. Hang in there and keep helping the elderly.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Go with the 3 cent piece and start writing novels.!

SKD

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

Dman said:
Nice finds. I can sale you a HEX remover but they are not cheap :D.
Dman

I can sell you a hex remover for the low, low price of three cents ;D

Azman-1

Oct 4, 2006

Spooky!! Great story and writing; you made my skin all goosebumpley and had me looking over my shoulder. Stay away from the 'dark' one...

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

Freud would understand, we all have an id. Don't fight it !.

Hh Robert

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SoreKneesDayton said:
Go with the 3 cent piece and start writing novels.!

SKD
I agree great story.....aa

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

it wasnt me ive never even been to america!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Wow, your detecting is almost as good as your writing! ;D ;D

Congrats on your 3 center and token!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Man alive; a silver three cent-er? And, in G-4 condition it's worth no less than $25!
Great job! I was just reading about one of those earlier today! The Denver token's a great find also!

Before anyone points any gnarly fingers this direction; I haven't been to Denver in over a year!
But, I was in Colorado Springs Saturday; does that count? :)

Thanks for the info on the Belvedere token!

GRB

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones

wow you met the Candy man and lived to tell the tale, I bet he was swinging a Whites :-X

Great story I really enjoyed it and look forward to more.

Oh great 3c'er shame the Candy mans finds were better "this time" ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions