Poor Host

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Well, I blew it. After returning from the beach, I tried to take my father in law to some metal detecting spots here in Birmingham that had produced for me in the past. We went to two old spots and one new spots with minimal results. I really had hoped that he would get ahold of some old coins, but no silver showed its face. He did come up with a difficult to find 5 mil tax token, but not even a wheat penny made it into our bags other than that.

They left for Virginia on Saturday, and by chance, I had Sunday off while the first lady was working. I went out to a tiny site (1/8 acre) that has produced silver in the past, but that I thought I had picked clean to see if I could find an on edge coin or one masked by junk. I didn't expect to find squat though.

It turns out, I should have taken my guest to this beaten up site instead of the others.
mayorcoinsfront.jpg

revermayor.jpg

I found 4 wheats, a 1 mil tax token, a 1924 D mercury dime, a 1907 O Barber quarter, a 5 inch deep Chinese? coin, and an old fountain pen.
Who would have known all that was still there?
It did require digging iron signals to find coins hidden underneath and listening for faint deep signals which my DFX handles very well, but still, I wish some of these keepers had ended up in his pouch instead. Oh well, there is always next time!
Thanks for reading
V

Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Sometimes I think we all try to hard to fill our purses. Sure would be nice but just the comraderie means a lot too. I basically hunt by myself all the time. There are not that many other MD'ing people here locally. We get a lot of traffic passing through however.

May your next find be silver! :)
GRB

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Cool finds!

I wish more of those "O" mints would make it over this way! :wink:

In any case, I thought you would be interested to know that your chinese cash coin is from the Chien-Lung period, circa 1736 to 1796.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find's by your friend :wink: At least you tried....

lmascoli

May 22, 2008
V,
What a great find. I had as much fun MD-ing with you as finding a small treasure. Thanks for the week we had a great time.
mark

OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
We had a great time too. I'll looking forward to taking you to my secret spots in Tennessee next time. They are always good for some memorable finds.
V

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
vthepresident

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Detector(s) used
Yes, you can still get pens like that. This one Is pretty old I think, maybe 1950s, but modern ones are called fountain pens I believe.
Thanks for the replies,
V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread