🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reconstructed 160 year old crock $$$ SOLD! $$$ UPDATED Dec. '08

Hello All,

I usually don't worry about broken stoneware or glass. To me, unless it's whole, it merely indicates that I'm close to the right spot for the real detecting to begin.

Last week when I was out with Rodeo and Bonzaibrandi, we found a few trash pits in the woods. There were some marked stoneware crocks there--all broken. Rodeo got a nice pottery spittoon too--most of it was whole. Anyhow, I collected all of the pieces to a few of these (they weigh a TON!), and decided I would cart the pieces home to try and reconstruct them for fun. After some research, and asking help from a few glass/pottery gurus, I began the reconstruction. This one was my first--and I believe it turned out quite well.

The crock is marked "J.H. Miller" "Brandenburg, KY"

This is a pretty rare stoneware storage jug made by James Miller, originally a potter in Strasburg, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He was born in 1814 and moved to Harrison County, Indiana in about 1837, after potting in Strasburg from about 1833-37. After moving to Indiana, he established his pottery just across the Ohio River in Brandenburg, Kentucky, where he operated from c1840-1884.

Pottery 001.jpg

It's pretty fun to put all of the puzzle pieces together--and it is a very slow process to give the glue time to cure overnight after each piece. I also had to assemble it in advance without the glue, and make certain that I wasn't painting myself into a corner on being able to fit the last piece in. Then plan which piece to attach when in sequence so that they all fit.

I have a few more that I'll post in the future once they are glued together. One is a large butter churn, and it'll take Quite a while.

I wanted to post this in "Today's Finds" rather than "Bottles and Glass" so that it would be seen. I'm actually pretty proud of the way it turned out. If this topic is in danger of getting moved, I can also post a photo of a suspender clip, harmonica reeds, and a few other bits we found that day. :P

Treasure takes many forms.

Regards,

Buckleboy

UPDATE #1: I wrote to the auction house to inquire about the value of my reconstructed crock, and received this e-mail in reply:

Thank you for your e-mail. Your Miller crock is a very nice piece
except for its condition. We would still expect it to bring in the $500 to
$800 range. If you would like to consign it, please let us know and we would
be happy to include it in our November auction.

Best Regards,
Tony Zipp

That two dollar bottle of Elmer's Glue was well worth it. :wink: As was hauling all of the heavy pieces out through the woods. I'm still pretty amazed that this value is what it is--and can only think of what it'd be worth if unbroken... :o

Worth MUCH more than any coin I've ever found.
(I'm hooked on glass and stoneware now. :wink: )

UPDATE #2: The crock sold for an amount within the price range indicated above. :thumbsup: So I reinvested a bit of it back in the hobby with a 12 x 10 searchcoil for the uMax. ;D
I know that there were some folks that didn't feel that a "broken crock" belonged on the banner--but I was quite happy as I drove by the bank today. :wink:

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckles

Upvote 12
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock

kindafoundabuckle said:
How many pieces was it to start out with? Was it all in the same pile or were the pieces separated across the site? I know I could call and ask but I thought just maybe some other members would like to know.

KFB

This was in only five or six pieces.  The ones that were in dozens of pieces had little hope for me finding them all-since I wanted to carefully assemble them on-site and see if I got all of the pieces before lugging them home.  The butter churn is knee-high and was in a dozen pieces--weighing over 30 pounds total!  So you can see how quickly that adds up when you have to hike it out of the woods.   :o No sense in doing that for one that is going to be incomplete.

The pieces for this one were all together in one spot about three or four feet square--although I had to dig for some of them.

-BB

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:
How many pieces was it to start out with? Was it all in the same pile or were the pieces separated across the site? I know I could call and ask but I thought just maybe some other members would like to know.

KFB

This was in only five or six pieces. The ones that were in dozens of pieces had little hope for me finding them all-since I wanted to carefully assemble them on-site and see if I got all of the pieces before lugging them home. The butter churn is knee-high and was in a dozen pieces--weighing over 30 pounds total! So you can see how quickly that adds up when you have to hike it out of the woods. :o No sense in doing that for one that is going to be incomplete.

The pieces for this one were all together in one spot about three or four feet square--although I had to dig for some of them.

-BB

You da man!!!!

KFB

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds

Awesome. I hope you don't make it a flower pot. Isn't Elmer's glue water-soluble? It is good to know that you are still making fabulous finds in those KY woods...! :icon_sunny:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a beautiful Crock there will. I think that it was well worth the time to put it back together and really you cannot tell that it was broken in the picture. Great save!! :wink: :wink:

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Buckles, I'm so impressed as always. I would have never thought of doing that...because I thought that once it's broken or chipped then it's pretty much worthless. :sign13:

That is a beautiful crock. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mona Lisa said:
Buckles, I'm so impressed as always. I would have never thought of doing that...because I thought that once it's broken or chipped then it's pretty much worthless. :sign13:

That is a beautiful crock. :icon_sunny:

I guess it has to be a rare one to have any value after reconstructing it. I think, because it was not broken into too many fragments, it is still an attractive piece. I'll keep everyone updated when I hear back from the Auction house.

-Buckles

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Excellent job there! It sounds like a lot of fun putting together that kind of puzzle, and finding all the pieces!

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana

that sounds like an awesome find. it looks real good in the pictures. you did a nice job rescuing it, congrats.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005

Congrats, Buckleboy!

That is a wonderful piece of Americana!

Are you really thinking about selling it?

Cavers5

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cavers5 said:
Congrats, Buckleboy!

That is a wonderful piece of Americana!

Are you really thinking about selling it?

Cavers5

If the value of it is low, I'll keep it. But if it is high, I might sell. I'll have to think that one over for a while.

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007

nice job on doing that puzzle.
glad the right person found those pot sherds.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005

Wow! Was reading more about it!

It's actually an investment with appreciating value, no doubt about it! It looks like you did a fine job of restoration. It might be worthwhile to have it appraised and then if there is ever a "Miller" day/year celebration (no beer pun intended!), then you could really rake in the dough!

Cavers5

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock--UPDATE!--$500-$800!!

BUMP! Post is updated at the top. Looks like I'm set for gasoline for MDing this summer :o

CERTAINLY more valuable than any COIN I've ever found. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock--UPDATE!--$500-$800!!

awesome find and great job on the reconstruction

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Plate!

It wouldn't be worth $500-800 probably since the glue is evident. Why would a purchaser purchase a glued crockery pot? :icon_scratch:

Just asking. :icon_scratch:

Kirk

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Plate!

Colonial KirkPA said:
It wouldn't be worth $500-800 probably since the glue is evident. Why would a purchaser purchase a glued crockery pot? :icon_scratch:

Kirk

Actually, Kirk, I was 100% frank with the auction house about the process I used to reconstruct the crockery pot.  I provided close-up photos of the seams, and told them that it was in five or six pieces before I restored it.  And they quoted the price I listed above. 

Here is a copy of my original e-mail to them:

Hello,

I recently found pieces of a J.H. Miller crock marked "Brandenburg KY."  The jug was originially in five pieces.  I reconstructed it using Elmer's glue (because it was "forgiving" during the reconstruction process, and also because it could be soaked, disassembled, and reconstructed using another method at a later date if desired). 

Does this crock have any value as-is?

I am aware of the excellent research your team has done on Miller, and I thought that if anyone could tell me about this crock's value, you perhaps could.

Attached are several photos of the reconstructed crock--and a close-up of the only chip missing (a small two-inch chip in the glaze at the rim).

Evidently this is a rare piece.  Most crockery would have little to no value in this condition.  But they are the ones who have done much of the research on Miller, and they said they could get $500-$800 for the piece at auction.  I believe this in part holds true because it is STILL an attractive piece, even after reconstruction.  Also, it bears Miller's name and location on the front.  Considering that other Miller pieces are up in the thousands of dollars range (see above), I would imagine that this is about right for one in such poor condition. Since I would think that the auction house would have no reason to lie to me, then YES, it should be worth that much. 

And the glue is not visible--I carefully cleaned it off the seams, although it is obvious that the pot was once broken.  I'm thinking of consigning the piece.  If you'd like, I'll post a photo of the receipt after the piece is sold with the price paid on it! 

Kirky, maybe you should stop looking for coppas and start looking for Crockery :-*  

Regards,

Buckles

jimbob450

Feb 26, 2008
spokane,wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic I.D.

.way to go, Buckleboy. That crock is fantastic.
Glad you found it all. Cant wait to see pics
of the churn. Jim

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005

I don't think there is any way that you could track the piece, but if you do sell it, I would occasionally check into Miller pieces and see if your piece gets sold again.

It could change hands between private collectors for "thousands!"

Is there any chance that you could ask the auction house to put you in touch with several private collectors? Since the auction house was so quick to jump at getting your prize, it's obviously a real investment!

Yes, it is wonderful how you are subsidizing your hobby!

Good luck,
Cavers5

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock-UPDATE!-Worth MORE than a Sword Belt Pl

Colonial KirkPA said:

Kirk

Kirk to collectors of rare pottery, even just the front piece showing the name and town would fetch an admirable price. The glue is no problem. The person that buys this piece will have it removed and restored to where there is no evidence of it being broken. The only way to tell will be by the sound the piece makes when thumping it with your hand. It will be purchased for it's rarity , much like a broken shard of Indian pottery > if it is enough to identify a tribes design then collectors will purchase them. I have purchase many items damaged. Paid a lot for some but could not have afforded them if they had been mint :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread