πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reconstructed 160 year old crock $$$ SOLD! $$$ UPDATED Dec. '08

Hello All,

I usually don't worry about broken stoneware or glass. To me, unless it's whole, it merely indicates that I'm close to the right spot for the real detecting to begin.

Last week when I was out with Rodeo and Bonzaibrandi, we found a few trash pits in the woods. There were some marked stoneware crocks there--all broken. Rodeo got a nice pottery spittoon too--most of it was whole. Anyhow, I collected all of the pieces to a few of these (they weigh a TON!), and decided I would cart the pieces home to try and reconstruct them for fun. After some research, and asking help from a few glass/pottery gurus, I began the reconstruction. This one was my first--and I believe it turned out quite well.

The crock is marked "J.H. Miller" "Brandenburg, KY"

This is a pretty rare stoneware storage jug made by James Miller, originally a potter in Strasburg, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He was born in 1814 and moved to Harrison County, Indiana in about 1837, after potting in Strasburg from about 1833-37. After moving to Indiana, he established his pottery just across the Ohio River in Brandenburg, Kentucky, where he operated from c1840-1884.

Pottery 001.jpg

It's pretty fun to put all of the puzzle pieces together--and it is a very slow process to give the glue time to cure overnight after each piece. I also had to assemble it in advance without the glue, and make certain that I wasn't painting myself into a corner on being able to fit the last piece in. Then plan which piece to attach when in sequence so that they all fit.

I have a few more that I'll post in the future once they are glued together. One is a large butter churn, and it'll take Quite a while.

I wanted to post this in "Today's Finds" rather than "Bottles and Glass" so that it would be seen. I'm actually pretty proud of the way it turned out. If this topic is in danger of getting moved, I can also post a photo of a suspender clip, harmonica reeds, and a few other bits we found that day. :P

Treasure takes many forms.

Regards,

Buckleboy

UPDATE #1: I wrote to the auction house to inquire about the value of my reconstructed crock, and received this e-mail in reply:

Thank you for your e-mail. Your Miller crock is a very nice piece
except for its condition. We would still expect it to bring in the $500 to
$800 range. If you would like to consign it, please let us know and we would
be happy to include it in our November auction.

Best Regards,
Tony Zipp

That two dollar bottle of Elmer's Glue was well worth it. :wink: As was hauling all of the heavy pieces out through the woods. I'm still pretty amazed that this value is what it is--and can only think of what it'd be worth if unbroken... :o

Worth MUCH more than any coin I've ever found.
(I'm hooked on glass and stoneware now. :wink: )

UPDATE #2: The crock sold for an amount within the price range indicated above. :thumbsup: So I reinvested a bit of it back in the hobby with a 12 x 10 searchcoil for the uMax. ;D
I know that there were some folks that didn't feel that a "broken crock" belonged on the banner--but I was quite happy as I drove by the bank today. :wink:

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckles

Upvote 12

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 160 year old crock $$$ SOLD! $$$ UPDATED Dec. '08

Congrats on getting the expected price range Buckles! You have your photographs of it and the memories of the satisfaction of putting it back together and now someone who actually collects them as a hobby is happy to have it and you are happy with the memories and the cash that you are using wisely. ;D

Don

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

nice work putting it back together! bet the cash comes in handy :thumbsup:

superficialbob

Jun 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt,Garrett Ace 250

It's just great on things you find in this hobby. Congrats on the new hunting equipment. HH Gary

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW!!!! Nice going BB. :thumbsup:
I'm glad to see the Umax will be getting a makeover too. :wink: (not that it needs it)
Congrats Buddy.
-Doug-

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Will,

I am glad you got a fair price for it.
Congrats all around

Happy hunting with that new coil.
Merry Christmas.

Thom

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
I know that there were some folks that didn't feel that a "broken crock" belonged on the banner--but I was quite happy as I drove by the bank today. :wink:
Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,
Buckles

Yeah, well..... Who is smiling now? :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY

HARDINTRAIN

Mar 29, 2009

WERE WAS THE PLACE WHERE YOU FOUND THE J. H. MILLER CROCK YOU HAVE? YOU HAD A LUCKY FIND AND A GREAT TREASURE!!!!

MILLER HAD HIS POTTERY PLACE NEAR THE MOUTH OF DOE RUN CREEK IN MEADE CO KY, ABOUT 2 MILES EAST OF BRANDENBURG, WHERE OLIN CHEMICAL IS NOW. ONE MILE WEST OF HIS PLACE WAS "GLEN FOUNT," THE HOME OF ALANSON MOREMAN AND RACHEL STITH, BUILT AFTER 1822. TO THE LEFT OF THE HOUSE WAS A LANE THAT WENT DOWN TO THE RIVER TO WHAT IS ON THE OHIO RIVER CHARTS AS "MILLER LANDING," PROBABLY BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE HE SHIPPED HIS CROCKS FROM, EVEN WHEN THE MOREMANS LIVED THERE. THERE WAS/IS A BIG SANDBAR AT THE BEND WHERE DOE RUN COMES OUT, SO STEAMBOATS COULD NOT GET CLOSE TO SHORE.

IN 1945, MY GRANDMOTHER'S COUSIN AND HUSBAND BOUGHT GLEN FOUNT ALMOST INTACT (FURNITURE, CLOTHES IS CLOSET, STUFF IN OUT BUILDINGS). BUT WHEN OLIN CHEMICAL CAME IN THE LATE 1950'S, IT CONDEMNED THE PROPERTY AND THEY HAD TO HAVE A SALE AND MOVE INTO BRANDENBURG AROUND 1960. OLIN BULLDOZED THE ALL BRICK, 20 ROOM GLEN FOUNT (WHOSE ROOF WAS BY THAT TIME FALLING IN) AND 5 BRICK "KITCHEN COURT" OUT BUILDINGS IN THE LATE 1970'S.

ONE OF THE THINGS IN THE HOUSE WHEN THEY BOUGHT IT WAS A VERY TALL (ABOUT 3 FOOT HIGH) ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL J. (JAMES) H. MILLER CROCK. I TOOK THE ATTACHED PHOTO OF IT ABOUT 1955. IT WENT IN THE AUCTION, BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHO BOUGHT IT OR FOR HOW MUCH.

EVEN SMALL MILLER CROCKS ARE "PRICE-IE" (SOME AROUND $10,OOO) I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE YOURS IN THE FORM OF A BOWL, MOST STRAIGHT SIDED, SO IT IS UNIQUE. THE MEADE COUNTY LIBRARY HAS 3 SMALL MILLER CROCKS THEY USE TO HAVE JUST SITTING AROUND ON THE FLOOR BEING USED AS TRASH CANS AND GET BUMPED, WHICH THEY HAVE SINCE PUT IN A SAFER PLACE WHEN THEY REALIZED HOW MUCH THE THINGS WERE WORTH .

YOU ARE VERY LUCKY!

HARDINTRAIN

Attachments

• CROCK MILLER GLEN FOUNT.jpg
    CROCK MILLER GLEN FOUNT.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 298

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

:o :o congrats!! Hard work does pay off :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HARDINTRAIN said:
WERE WAS THE PLACE WHERE YOU FOUND THE J. H. MILLER CROCK YOU HAVE? YOU HAD A LUCKY FIND AND A GREAT TREASURE!!!!

MILLER HAD HIS POTTERY PLACE NEAR THE MOUTH OF DOE RUN CREEK IN MEADE CO KY, ABOUT 2 MILES EAST OF BRANDENBURG, WHERE OLIN CHEMICAL IS NOW. ONE MILE WEST OF HIS PLACE WAS "GLEN FOUNT," THE HOME OF ALANSON MOREMAN AND RACHEL STITH, BUILT AFTER 1822. TO THE LEFT OF THE HOUSE WAS A LANE THAT WENT DOWN TO THE RIVER TO WHAT IS ON THE OHIO RIVER CHARTS AS "MILLER LANDING," PROBABLY BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE HE SHIPPED HIS CROCKS FROM, EVEN WHEN THE MOREMANS LIVED THERE. THERE WAS/IS A BIG SANDBAR AT THE BEND WHERE DOE RUN COMES OUT, SO STEAMBOATS COULD NOT GET CLOSE TO SHORE.

IN 1945, MY GRANDMOTHER'S COUSIN AND HUSBAND BOUGHT GLEN FOUNT ALMOST INTACT (FURNITURE, CLOTHES IS CLOSET, STUFF IN OUT BUILDINGS). BUT WHEN OLIN CHEMICAL CAME IN THE LATE 1950'S, IT CONDEMNED THE PROPERTY AND THEY HAD TO HAVE A SALE AND MOVE INTO BRANDENBURG AROUND 1960. OLIN BULLDOZED THE ALL BRICK, 20 ROOM GLEN FOUNT (WHOSE ROOF WAS BY THAT TIME FALLING IN) AND 5 BRICK "KITCHEN COURT" OUT BUILDINGS IN THE LATE 1970'S.

ONE OF THE THINGS IN THE HOUSE WHEN THEY BOUGHT IT WAS A VERY TALL (ABOUT 3 FOOT HIGH) ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL J. (JAMES) H. MILLER CROCK. I TOOK THE ATTACHED PHOTO OF IT ABOUT 1955. IT WENT IN THE AUCTION, BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHO BOUGHT IT OR FOR HOW MUCH.

EVEN SMALL MILLER CROCKS ARE "PRICE-IE" (SOME AROUND $10,OOO) I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE YOURS IN THE FORM OF A BOWL, MOST STRAIGHT SIDED, SO IT IS UNIQUE. THE MEADE COUNTY LIBRARY HAS 3 SMALL MILLER CROCKS THEY USE TO HAVE JUST SITTING AROUND ON THE FLOOR BEING USED AS TRASH CANS AND GET BUMPED, WHICH THEY HAVE SINCE PUT IN A SAFER PLACE WHEN THEY REALIZED HOW MUCH THE THINGS WERE WORTH .

YOU ARE VERY LUCKY!

HARDINTRAIN

That's a beautiful piece, HT--I bet you wish they'd held onto the crock in your photo. :o And heck, I may wish the same someday. But I figure that the price my find realized was pretty darned good for a shattered piece. :)

I can't disclose the location I found the pieces of the one I sold, but I didn't find it in Brandenburg or close to the former location of Miller's business.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro

Great story and nice job on using your head to make a few bucks ! :icon_study:

TommNJ

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old post I know, not trying to revive. I'm just going through members BANNER finds and came across this one. In your post you say alot of people didnt think it deserved banner... I have to strongly disagree! Beautiful crock and well worth carting the pieces out. I have done similar and pieced together almost whole jugs etc, but nothing like this. I'd be back in those dumps gathering more like pieces after that find. If this post wasnt 12 years old, I'd vote banner lol. Sorry for the random revive, just loved this find and reconstruction, as well as the sale info updates which are always interesting to me(and much appreciated). I hope you've found lots more! Safe and happy hunting!

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That came out real nice. Thanks for taking the time to save
a little piece
of American history.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old post I know, not trying to revive. I'm just going through members BANNER finds and came across this one. In your post you say alot of people didnt think it deserved banner... I have to strongly disagree! Beautiful crock and well worth carting the pieces out. I have done similar and pieced together almost whole jugs etc, but nothing like this. I'd be back in those dumps gathering more like pieces after that find. If this post wasnt 12 years old, I'd vote banner lol. Sorry for the random revive, just loved this find and reconstruction, as well as the sale info updates which are always interesting to me(and much appreciated). I hope you've found lots more! Safe and happy hunting!

I appreciate your kind words and thanks for the reply!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice restoration! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread