Unusual find today in Oklahoma...

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
My buddy called me last night and wanted to know if I wanted to go detecting and researching with him in Oklahoma. Always up for an adventure, I agreed and we arranged to leave by 9AM this morning. We had a great day, but only found 2 clad pennies, and a kids toy with the detectors.

While we were up that way, we decided to go into the Red River bottoms and look for arrowheads and such. Where we were, they have been excavating the bottoms for sand for a sand company. There were several huge mounds of sand and my buddy went looking at the edges of them, while I was in the bottoms looking around. He hollers at me and throws something at me and yells... "What's this?"

I picked it up and immediately knew what it was from my elementary science classes. It was a Human Ulna bone. The bone which we call our forearm and connects to the elbow. This is the lower or outside bone if your looking at the top of your arm. It had probably been buried for some time as it has an almost silver petina on part of it and has a little decay at the wrist end. But the joints are in excellent shape. I figure it was an old Indian bone, as this area of Oklahoma is historically Indian Territory, the Choctaw nation is all through this part of southern OK. Below are some pictures I just took of it with my cell phone. Sorry if they didn't turn out too good, but my digi-cam is in storage.

Enjoy...

Attachments

• 06-13-05_2256[1].jpg
    06-13-05_2256[1].jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 838
  • 06-13-05_2257[1].jpg
    06-13-05_2257[1].jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 842
  • 06-13-05_2258[1].jpg
    06-13-05_2258[1].jpg
    3 KB · Views: 823
  • 06-13-05_2256[1].jpg
    06-13-05_2256[1].jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 826
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Dang, I didn't figure they'd look for Hoffa this far south.? ;D
BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the silver patina is probably from being exposed to the sun.

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Hey Golddigger, The area your describing sounds like the the Red River between Denison and Bonham.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool bone!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Gold Digger

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
Charles said:
Hey Golddigger, The area your describing sounds like the the Red River between Denison and Bonham.

Hey Charles,

That's where we were... LOL
We came up through Dexter TX. and ended up going up toward the Choctaw reservation. We turned off of 75 and found the sand pits. I live in Garland, where are you at?

Cableman... We didn't turn it in or rebury it. I have it here at the house for now. Not really sure what to do with it. ??? Anyone have any suggestions? Laws? or other info?

S

SD MUDDOG

Take it back and reburry that thing before you piss off some evil spirits or something..LOL Scary find..

springsman

May 27, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Without being a scientist, you should turn it in to at least get it dated, sometimes given an area's climate things can look older or newer than they really are...it would be a shame if that was a missing person...and if it WAS an indian it still deserves some respect and maybe a museum or one of the actual indian tribal groups there would know of what to properly do with it, and they may want to explore the area the dirt came from that it was in for posible preservation. way cool find though...

HH
Springsman

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Interesting find! I have read a few stories of indians fighting indians along rivers, ambush style! Man thats cool, who knows what the story is behind it, would be cool to know.

F

Floater

The Bone is definetly pretty cool. To bad you couldnt hang there there longer and find the rest of the dude. I think it would be cool to turn it in and tell them how you found it. (So long as they werent on Indian land. But if it was at the bottom of a sand pile they had dug or dredged up what could they say. It's nice to blow town once in a while to just screw off and forget the world. Later HH

P

PrizmIV

I would do something with it but keep it in my house im sure your family/friends comes over and sees it there going to be like WTF Mate! If you have a noisy neighboor then your really screwed lol! I would probally turn it in to the police. When we were adding on to our house some of the workers were digging and found bones; we had a doctor thats our friend come look at it and he said he thought they were human or rather human size and the noisy neighboor some how found about it and we came to look at the progress of our house one day and there was CSI, police, and fbi in the driveway along with all the yellow tape! Turns out they were horse/mule! HH Jonathan

brandy

Jan 15, 2005
SOUTH ARKANSAS
Cool find, but I for some reason thought that the ulna bone was the lower jaw. Anyway you should report this to the authorities in that area, because it could be a crime scene or at the very least an ancient burial site, and these are both need to know situations. If ancient it needs to be investigated to see if it's a random death or a full blown site. I would report it, but that's just my opinion. HH

OP
OP
Gold Digger

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
Follow up on Human Arm Bone Found in Oklahoma...

Hey Folks...

Just thought I'd give you all the latest news on the Human Arm bone we found in Oklahoma back on the 10th or so...

After reading the responses here and then asking myself the question, "would I want someone to turn in my arm?" I answered YES...

So the journey begins... I called the police department for where I thought I was when we found it. It turns out, they had no juridiction for this part of the state. They give me another number for the Sherriff dept. I call and spoke with the nice detective there a few times and explain where it was found and how to find the place. I hop in my truck and head that way. A few hours later and a full tank of gas, I get there and can't find the police. So, I mapped the area real good, and left the bone there and told them where it was. I've not had any more contact with them, so I can only assume they found it. They advised if they had any problems they'd get in touch with me.

So, now the bone is back where it belongs, I guess, or at least with the rightful law enforcement... I'm kinda glad it's gone, that was kinda spooky... I knew I didn't like Oklahoma for something or other... (just kidding Jim...) ;)

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Good story Gold Digger. You went the "Extra Mile" on that one. I think a local newspaper or TV station would like to hear about that and do a follow up.
~Kansas~

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio
Hey Gold_Digger, hey wait a minute... My name used to be GOLD DIGGER! it really was until i changed it! freaky bone man glad to hear its in good hands! HH CS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread