Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and Happy Belated Memorial Day!!!

This weekend I went back to the old park where I found all those nice coppers last week (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,158514.msg1150241.html#msg1150241). I thought I was going to have a slim haul, when I hit a nice pocket of older finds on Monday afternoon. What happened next was beyond my wildest expectations.

What's funny about the place is that for all the coppers I've found there (4 LCs, 6-7 IHs, a CW trade token, and more), I've yet to dig a single piece of old silver, and the only silver I've found at all was a 1943 War Nickel. I would've been doing a jig over a Barber, let alone a Seated or something like that.

So, I start checking this spot with a lot of old tree roots still showing (the tree is long gone) and I get this really nice penny/dime signal at about 6 inches. I had a feeling it would be something good, so I carefully dug a decent sized plug and scooped the loose soil onto my ground sheet. Then I scanned the hole and noticed the target had moved into the dirt pile. My pulse quickened when I saw a little glisten of silver amid the dark soil, and when I reached for it out came a 1738 Spanish 1 Reale!!! I stared at it with disbelief. Not only was this my first pre-1800s coin, it blew away my prior oldest coin by 70 years!

Obviously nothing else I found this weekend even comes close to the reale (nothing else this year, for that matter), but overall it was a good Memorial Day. Here's the highlight reel:

• 1738 Spanish 1 Reale
  • Large gilded flat button
  • Antique brass skeleton key
  • Thick men's ID bracelet
  • Heavy glazed porcelain doorknob (the metal in the socket is what triggered the detector)
  • Unknown dime-sized metal circle (could be silver). Has a hole at the top for a chain or string. Nearly thought I had another reale! Any guesses anyone?

As you can imagine. It was a fantastic holiday!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• 1738 1 Reale Front LG (Medium).jpg
    1738 1 Reale Front LG (Medium).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 1738 1 Reale Back LG (Medium).jpg
    1738 1 Reale Back LG (Medium).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Button Gilt Both (Medium).jpg
    Button Gilt Both (Medium).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • Key1.jpg
    Key1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,097
  • Bracelet1 (Medium).jpg
    Bracelet1 (Medium).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Doorknob Both (Medium).jpg
    Doorknob Both (Medium).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Whatsit Both (Medium).jpg
    Whatsit Both (Medium).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,096
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
That is one heck of a coin!

I really think that last disc may be a holed, beat-up half-real or trime...ya never know. What ID number does it give on the XLT?

Regards,

Buckleboy

Thanks Buckle!

Yeah I think you're right about that holed one. It definitely looks and feels like like silver... I'll let you know what Mr. XLT says after I fire him up and check VDI readings.

Cheers,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
Awesome finds, its hard to tell those are coins, means its really old. The last one someone drilled a hole through to put on a chain.

It MUST be old. The thing is worn smooth!

Thanks,
B

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You found yourself a Spanish cross pistareen. From what I've been reading about, they did not circulate a lot in the areas north of the Chesapeake Bay (i.e., PA, NY, VT, etc.). Hunters in VA seem to find them on just about every Colonial site.

This is a great reference: http://www.numismatics.org/cnl/Pistareens.pdf

Kyle

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome dude! I knew that EVENTUALLY one of us had to pull some silver out of the spots where there's colonial stuff. NICE find! Congrats!

Now, go for the gold :)

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
That is just awesome,Brendan!!!!I knew you would strike some old silver there,sooner or later,but it does'nt get much older than that!Big Congrats.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, never heard of someone pulling such an old coin from a park.
Beautiful Reale!!!

Major congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME FIND !

nice colonial silver - silver is good anytime, barber, seated and most definately spanish

big congrats !

vp

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
You found yourself a Spanish cross pistareen. From what I've been reading about, they did not circulate a lot in the areas north of the Chesapeake Bay (i.e., PA, NY, VT, etc.). Hunters in VA seem to find them on just about every Colonial site.

This is a great reference: http://www.numismatics.org/cnl/Pistareens.pdf

Kyle

Thanks for the info Kyle. That document is a great resource. :thumbsup:

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe G said:
Awesome dude! I knew that EVENTUALLY one of us had to pull some silver out of the spots where there's colonial stuff. NICE find! Congrats!

Now, go for the gold :)

Yeah right? It was almost kind of discouraging when none of our gang had found anything like that. At least now I know I'm not pipe dreaming. If it takes me another 3 years to get the next one, that'll be fine!

You still got me beat though age-wise with that British copper of yours. Man, I would LOVE to crack into the 1600s... But yes, gold is nice too! 8)

Thanks again buddy!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dgaughan said:
wow brendan sweet find congrats and hh

Thanks, D. Tally one for Strong Island, right? :wink:

I bet there's some good spots up by you, yes?

Cheers and HH,
B

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds...love the Reale. These are the types of posts that get meout hunting whenever I get the chance. Thanks

NJ

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
That is just awesome,Brendan!!!!I knew you would strike some old silver there,sooner or later,but it does'nt get much older than that!Big Congrats.

Thanks Tom! As I was looking at the coin for the first time, I definitely thought for a second, "I can't wait to show this to Tom." You and Ricardo are my Mr. Miyagi's of silver hunting, so this one's for you buddy!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Wow, never heard of someone pulling such an old coin from a park.
Beautiful Reale!!!

Major congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Yes it is kind of interesting. The reason is that the place wasn't always a park -- there's a long local history to it, and the area was used/owned by a number of entities over the years. It's kind of fun to have a place like that with so many layers of possible finds. You just have to keep digging the decent signals until you hit a keeper. But still, never imagined this!

Thanks for the Congrats, Dan.

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpone said:
AWESOME FIND !

nice colonial silver - silver is good anytime, barber, seated and most definately spanish

big congrats !

vp

Thanks VP! Again, you're another of the guys I KNOW can appreciate a find like this. What an unforgettable moment! Thanks for the congrats!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Great finds...love the Reale. These are the types of posts that get meout hunting whenever I get the chance. Thanks

NJ

My pleasure, NJ. I'm sure you've got some killer places to hit out by you, as well. Go get 'em!

This spot was a blessing for me this season, not just because of the finds but because I can actually HUNT it this time of year. My area has a big tick problem in the warm months, so my spots dwindle. It can kind of be a bummer if you don't find someplace new...Man did I luck out.

Thanks!

Cheers and HH,
B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread