Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and Happy Belated Memorial Day!!!

This weekend I went back to the old park where I found all those nice coppers last week (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,158514.msg1150241.html#msg1150241). I thought I was going to have a slim haul, when I hit a nice pocket of older finds on Monday afternoon. What happened next was beyond my wildest expectations.

What's funny about the place is that for all the coppers I've found there (4 LCs, 6-7 IHs, a CW trade token, and more), I've yet to dig a single piece of old silver, and the only silver I've found at all was a 1943 War Nickel. I would've been doing a jig over a Barber, let alone a Seated or something like that.

So, I start checking this spot with a lot of old tree roots still showing (the tree is long gone) and I get this really nice penny/dime signal at about 6 inches. I had a feeling it would be something good, so I carefully dug a decent sized plug and scooped the loose soil onto my ground sheet. Then I scanned the hole and noticed the target had moved into the dirt pile. My pulse quickened when I saw a little glisten of silver amid the dark soil, and when I reached for it out came a 1738 Spanish 1 Reale!!! I stared at it with disbelief. Not only was this my first pre-1800s coin, it blew away my prior oldest coin by 70 years!

Obviously nothing else I found this weekend even comes close to the reale (nothing else this year, for that matter), but overall it was a good Memorial Day. Here's the highlight reel:

• 1738 Spanish 1 Reale
  • Large gilded flat button
  • Antique brass skeleton key
  • Thick men's ID bracelet
  • Heavy glazed porcelain doorknob (the metal in the socket is what triggered the detector)
  • Unknown dime-sized metal circle (could be silver). Has a hole at the top for a chain or string. Nearly thought I had another reale! Any guesses anyone?

As you can imagine. It was a fantastic holiday!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• 1738 1 Reale Front LG (Medium).jpg
    1738 1 Reale Front LG (Medium).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 1738 1 Reale Back LG (Medium).jpg
    1738 1 Reale Back LG (Medium).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Button Gilt Both (Medium).jpg
    Button Gilt Both (Medium).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,113
  • Key1.jpg
    Key1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,097
  • Bracelet1 (Medium).jpg
    Bracelet1 (Medium).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Doorknob Both (Medium).jpg
    Doorknob Both (Medium).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Whatsit Both (Medium).jpg
    Whatsit Both (Medium).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,096
Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!! You got my 1-Reale beat by 65 yrs. That thing is awsome. Pretty nice shape given the age. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
WOW!!!! You got my 1-Reale beat by 65 yrs. That thing is awsome. Pretty nice shape given the age. :thumbsup:

Thanks Hogge. Like I said, I was stunned. What a super pleasant surprise!

Cheers and HH,
B

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW awesome finds :o I'd jig all night if i found that reale congrats :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the Reale BM....look's like you've got a decent spot there.I wouldn't know how to act with something like that,I guess almost like finding a personal item from a CW soldier.Great dig's :thumbsup:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Brendan Again!!!!!

Man, you sure are coming up with the good stuff lately. Have you been back to camp yet?
I can't wait to see what you find tomorrow :thumbsup:
Mike

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weasel606 said:
WOW awesome finds :o I'd jig all night if i found that reale congrats :thumbsup:
civilman1 said:
Congrat's on the Reale BM....look's like you've got a decent spot there.I wouldn't know how to act with something like that,I guess almost like finding a personal item from a CW soldier.Great dig's :thumbsup:

Thanks Weasel and Civilman. The feeling is so hard to describe. Kind of like I always knew a coin like this had to be around somewhere at the places I hunt, but when you actually find it the whole thing is fairly surreal. If anyone had walked past they would've seen me kneeling there on the ground, staring at this little coin, with a gigantic grin on my face. Woulda made for a good pic. :thumbsup:

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikewaz said:
Brendan Again!!!!!

Man, you sure are coming up with the good stuff lately. Have you been back to camp yet?
I can't wait to see what you find tomorrow :thumbsup:
Mike

Haha thanks my friend. Overall 2008 has been the best year I've had by far. My coin totals have already put my 2007 numbers to shame, and it's all because I pretty much finally learned how to properly tweak my machine. Thank God for small miracles. :wink:

I haven't been back at the camp yet, because it's an hour's drive from my house, and lately I only get out for a few hours at a time. (A 3-month-old baby will do that to ya. :wink:) So when I do hit that place it's kind of like a marathon event. But I will be back to it, FOR SURE.

I'm glad you've been digging my finds. I'll try and keep 'em coming!

Cheers and HH,
B

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful colonial silver. :o :o :o If you're going to find silver, it may as well be that. :D :D :thumbsup: Awesome!! :icon_sunny:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Awesome coin! Very nice condition too. :icon_sunny:

Doesn't get much better. Enjoy. ;D I bet that coin you cannot identify is a 1/2 reale. I found one earlier this year and could just make out part of the "carlos" and some other letters. It also had a hole in it.

Bob

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Awesome coin! Very nice condition too. :icon_sunny:

Doesn't get much better. Enjoy. ;D I bet that coin you cannot identify is a 1/2 reale. I found one earlier this year and could just make out part of the "carlos" and some other letters. It also had a hole in it.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I know you can appreciate a find like this. :thumbsup:

That's funny what you said about it not getting much better. I was just thinking myself that I may have found the oldest coin I'm ever going to find. This is going to be a tough one to beat, but I'm not complaining!

That's also very interesting what you said about the mystery coin. I had a feeling it might be something like that. I'm going to give it a closer look. Thanks!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Beautiful colonial silver. :o :o :o If you're going to find silver, it may as well be that. :D :D :thumbsup: Awesome!! :icon_sunny:

Thanks Evo. I was hoping you'd like this one. I'm sure you can imagine my initial reaction upon its recovery. I found this in a public park, no less!

Glad you enjoyed.

Cheers and HH,
B

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Sa...weeetttt! I would have thought I'd died & went to heaven! Congrats...hope the little one is what Mirage thinks it is!

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prober said:
Sa...weeetttt! I would have thought I'd died & went to heaven! Congrats...hope the little one is what Mirage thinks it is!

It made every pulltab, screwcap and zinc penny I've ever dug at that particular place worth it 10 times over. This is one of those "hunted out" places that just continues to produce if you're patient and know the hot spots. That said, I felt the Big Man smiling down upon me as I pulled that baby out of the ground. You see, I bought three boxes of Girl Scout cookies last month, and now the good karma has come full circle! :wink:

But yeah, that would be sweet if the coin theory checks out. Will keep ya posted.

Cheers and HH,
B

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heck of a coin!

I really think that last disc may be a holed, beat-up half-real or trime...ya never know. What ID number does it give on the XLT?

Regards,

Buckleboy

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Awesome finds, its hard to tell those are coins, means its really old. The last one someone drilled a hole through to put on a chain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread