How bout this.

drustino

Mar 11, 2005
I just started MD this year, and found a few wheaties, one silver dime & a few quarters from the 50's mostly in my yard and the church across the street, nothin real old. Well this past Saturday I had to lay a few concrete pads next to the back porch steps for water run off. I had to dig down an inch or so to level them out, at this point it was gettin dark & my young daughter was bugging to go for ice cream, so just as I was finishiing the last pad, I found what looked to be a penny, it is dark now so I stuck it in my pocket, and off to the ice cream shop, while in the shop in line I pulled it out to look at it anticipating another lincoln or possibly a wheatie, and holly cow I didn't belive my eyes, it was a indian head penny from 1888, I almost, ya know, I wasn't even trying & found one, go figure. My daughter was excited as she goes with me a lot. I don.t have this camera thing down yet to post a pic, but the front is decent enough to read, but the back needs some help, any suggestions ? I must of looked at that coin about 50 times that night, like a kid with a new toy, pretty exciting. And to think, I searched that area the first time I used my MD. Thanks for reading.

Upvote 1

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
tHAT IS A COOL STORY!

I found my first two Indians last night.

I am experimenting on cleaning copper coins lately. So far the old soak in olive oil seems to do pretty well. other methods seem to take a little metal with them.

JT

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
As I say everytime I pick up a surface coin or a "picker" as the prospectors would call it.......Man, this is easier than metal detecting.. ;)

GJ & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

R

rusty nails

its amazing - how - when u start detecting - u just naturally start looking at the ground all the time - and check all the change u get back - and tell your wife not to spend any change until u examine it - heck my kids r finding change all the time now - ;D GOOD FIND - u had good karma - cause u were thinking of your kid getting ice cream after busting your butt working ---------------- CONGRATS
leftbass

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! ;)

That's a great find!!!!

I think I have found more coins just lying on the ground than dug! It's funny how
all this detecting stuff changes what you look at and for!! When driving I'm always looking for old
barns and houses and such, and thinking "how beautiful they are"! Could be falling in
and it's still a beautiful place! :D Glad she got her ice cream! And congrats on that great find!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
D

drustino

Mar 11, 2005
Thanks for everyones replys, as soon as I figure how to get it cleaned up a bit, I'll try to post some pic's. My daughter said she will work on the picture thing since she is the computer wizz. I will also check for that 8 over the 7, & thanks omnicognic for your offer on the pics.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this is an nice older coin, I would reccomend cleaning it ONLY by soaking it in olive oil for a few days. Soak it for a day or 2, and the olive oil will loosen up the crud on the surface. GENTLY brush the loosened crud off with an old toothbrush, and wipe it clean with a gentle cloth, and repeat if needed.

Congrats on the great find - I really love those old Indian Head pennies, for some reason they are my favorite old coin!! Great find!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story, nice find avoid brushing it clean if you can.

HH!!

Attachments

• cool.jpg
    cool.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 208
  • cool.jpg
    cool.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 144

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread