is this old home o.k.???

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit and run! ;D

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
J

JackRussell

whats the worst that could happen?? police kick me out??

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah,

hit it at night!

the worst is you'd get kicked off the property,

as long as it's not fenced (or you don't go in fenced areas), and it's not posted,

all they can do is tell you to leave.

if it's posted, and or fenced, and you're caught,

you can get a treaspassing charge IF they want to push it.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it's not posted, I wouldn't worry about it. Go ahead and detect, just act like you belong there. Chances are the local PD isin't even watching it, probably don't even know it's vacant. Go ahead and hit it, and hit it responsibly by leaving it cleaner and nicer than when you got there, and you'll have no problems! Oh, and post what you find for us!! HH!

OP
OP
J

JackRussell

i will? post every thing it looks like a good spot..? i will hit it at dusk tonight.. good thing i bought a new led headlamp ;D there is no fences at all i wont go in the barn or the porch just the lawn and of course i will leave it nice

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
I would think night hunting would draw unwanted attention. I would hunt it during the day. With it going to auction I could think of no one that would complain. During the day the police would not even look twice at someone detecting.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Charles said:
During the day the police would not even look twice at someone detecting.

Want to bet on that ? I have been stopped by police twice hunting older places where no one actually lived anymore. To top that off, I only live in a town of 5000, so the police force is rather small. Luckily I really did have permission and knew the owners name (didn't get it in writing, but the police left anyway once they thought I was legit).

Not sure what a trespassing fine is, but I am sure it is a whole lot more than you will actually find there. I reckon they would probably take whatever you found too for evidence and return to the property owner.

OP
OP
J

JackRussell

well i have to wait..after hunting for my shovel for like a hour i realized it must be in my car which my husband took to work.. I am going to do it during the day because who knows if a transient is living there or if its a crack house..

Roaddog

Jun 8, 2005
Galveston, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would detect during the day or evening and act like I belong. If the police came I would act surprised that I wasn't supposed to be there "I thought it was OK cause there aren't anyfences and no one lives here. I'm sorry, I'll leave right now. Thanks for letting me know." Always be polite to cops. It won't hurt and it may help!

P

PrizmIV

No, if approached and threatend to have cops called on; this line normally works (your supposed to be waving a S&W .45 in the air also) Aint fraid of no po po, call on da po po h()e! ;D HH Jonathan

chuckered

Sep 18, 2004
bremerton washington
If you want to do it right like a responsible metal detector should, go to county court house and check out the property records they would tell you who owns it, then its up to your own conscience, just remember if people aren't responsible there will be more laws passed to regulate this sport.
[/ THE FMDAC?S CODE OF ETHICS

Treasure Hunter's Code of Ethics

I will always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is my responsibility to know the law.

I will respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner?s permission. Where possible, such permission will be in writing.

I will take care to refill any holes and try not to leave any damage.

I will remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that I find.

I will appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.

I will, as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.

I will work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.

I will leave gates as found.

I will build fires in designated or safe places only.

I will report to the proper authorities any individuals who enter and/or remove artifacts from federal parks or state preserves.quote]

KIXLSYD

Jun 9, 2005
Tacoma,WA
hell, i hit it in the middle of the day. If anyone asks, just play dumb. That is what I would do. It is'nt like you are hurting anything. I dont really think anyone would care anyway. most people probibly would'nt even notice you were there. If you really want to have some fun, wear overalls and a hard hat. the will think you are some kind of a city worker. Anyway, Id just hunt and run. Brad

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell them you were thinking about bidding on the place and you were checking to see how the water and gas lines were set up. You'd be a fool to bid on a place without checking EVERYTHING!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be to late but this is what you do. Make us all look good, don't be lazy find out what you have to and do it right. I think it can be done in five easy steps bellow.

1. Call Auction House that's selling the house.
2. Find out owner from Auction House.
3. Get permission.
4. Hunt without being paranoid and or getting arrested or fined.
5. Post your great finds.

HH!

Attachments

• Thankyou.jpg
    Thankyou.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 304
M

mattjd

Heres what you do. Hunt it REAL early in the morining like as soon as it gets light out. No people, no problems. Don't go through the crap of getting permission then they'll just say no anyways.

HH Matt

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since theres a public auction, Id tell anyone who approached you were thinking of bidding on the house, but wanted to test the soil for foreign objects (ie coins, jewelry, etc). Or you tell anyone approaching you your detector is actually a geiger counter, and you are testing for radiation.

Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions