28 coins in the same hole and the newest one is a 1920!!!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was hunting more of the yard that I found the indian and merc in the other day and wasnt having much luck. I figured I would give it another half an hour and then head home to wait on my 8in coil that was to be delivered by ups. As I was walking to my car, I was working the strip between the sidewalk and the road when I got a good penny/dime signal that was reading about 6in deep. I thought it would be nice to at least dig a wheatie before going home and so I cut my plug. When I pull a plug on a target deeper than 5in, the target is usually still in the hole and I have to dig more dirt out of the hole to get to it. So I dug down to about 7in and pulled the dirt out of the hole and put it on my dropcloth. As I was reaching back into the hole to retrieve the rest of the loose dirt, I noticed a penny laying in the spoil pile and then realized there was about 6 of them that I could see! All I could think is "Man these better not be memorials" and picked one of them up to see what I had going. The penny that I picked up was dirty but I could tell that it was a wheatie. I finished cleaning the rest of the dirt out of the hole and soon seen about 6 or 7 more of them in that handfull. At this point I was totally freaking out thinking that I might be digging up a roll of wheaties or something.
I took my sunray and rechecked the bottom of the hole and I was still getting signals down at 8in. I took my digger and cut out a smaller plug at the bottom of my hole as to get the rest of the dirt broke up. As I was pulling the loose soil out of the hole I noticed a big silver laying in my hand with some more pennies. I stopped and gathered up all the coins that I had found and placed them on my clean cloth and promptly filled my hole and called it a day without even knowing the age of or total of my finds. I told myself to wait until getting home to look at what I had!
Once I got home and laid everything out, I could tell that I had a total of
25 pennies, 2 V-nickels, and a barber half. Later while cleaning the coins, I realized that there was 3 indian heads mixed up with all the wheaties and the newest coin being a 1920. Earlier while collecting all of the coins out of the hole, I noticed small pieces of iron and kept the ones I found thinking it was part of whatever held these coins over 85 years ago.
Being that these coins were protected for sometime inside whatever kind of container or pouch until it deteriorated and that they were all laying against eachother, alot of these only took minimal cleaning and most ended up looking pretty nice after some soaking and scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush along with a dremel brush and polisher. This is the biggest group of coins that I have ever found in one hole and to have a barber half in the mix along with two V-nickels made it simply awesome in my book!
The total rundown of all the coins is as follows:
1900-S Barber half
1906, and 1910 V-nickels
1896, 1901, and 1903 Indian head cents
Wheaties were: 1-1911
1-1913-D
4-1916's
1-1916-S
2-1918's
2-1919's
1-1919-S
4-1919-D's
5-1920's
1-1920-D

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7,988
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 7,988
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 7,950
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Johnny Ringo Silver

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
More pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 7,898
  • IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 7,889
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 7,805
OP
OP
Johnny Ringo Silver

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
And more.

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 7,714
  • IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 7,660
  • IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 7,604

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Woo-Hoo!! Nice finds. Around 1920, that bunch of coins represented an hour's pay. You've got some coins with mint marks too. I know those are worth more than face value.
wagbert

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Johnny, that is quite an amazing spill of coins you have found!! Wow!!! I bet you're right. There was something holding all of those coins for quite a while in the ground.

You're going to like your 8" coil too.

Major Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: That story will definately get the day dreams goin. Thumbs up on those finds. :icon_pirat:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG Johnny, I woulda fallen head first into that hole.. THAT IS ONE EXCELLENT FIND.. Holey Moley YOU lucky dog.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
That is a kewl pack of loot Mr. Johnny!
Great job! I'm still a looking for some halves, along with some gold coinage, along with more silver, alone ---- :)

GRB

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
I'm afraid I would have had to find a restroom if I had found a cache like that! Very very cool! :thumbsup:

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
The metal parts you have look to be the remnants of the clasp to a coin purse . Some of the coins also look to have leather stuck to them . So I'd say these coins were in a leather coin purse .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread