NO Mercs...NOT even a wheatie..BUT the Barber shop was OPEN...Injuns welcome too

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a strange hunt. Went to a park that everyone has pounded for years...and there just aren't many signals to dig anymore. It's a fun place...a big place...and a nice spot to just fall back on to swing the coil if I have no other place to go. i'm lucky if I can scare up a wheatie or 2 in 3 or 4 hours.
There is a very old section there about the size of a gym floor that I can never get any machine to settle down at. In the 80's it drove my white's nuts...in the 90's it drove my fisher nuts...now it drives my SE nuts. ??? There are power lines overhead...on ground transformers...underground power lines...you name it...if it can cause interference...it's there! I have NEVER been able to hunt it. >:( Today for some reason...I got about 4 hours there and was at least able to detect...although there WAS interference. I knew there had to be some good stuff there because I have never known anyone who was able to detect there long.
I called niterider_58 (Phil)...and told him he needed to get here...cause the deepies were coming out. Someone had obviously gotten their machine to work well enough to get the mercs and wheaties in the 6" to 7" range from this spot...but the deep OLD goodies were still hidin' there. :headbang:
The detecting was very difficult...but at least it WAS finally possible. The SE was going crazy...but every now and then I could tell a good signal in between the interference gibberish. The first thing I dug was a 1905 Injun...and that would be the NEWEST coin I dug in the 4 hour hunt. :laughing7: I then popped out a Barber dime at about 8" down that hit just like a clad dime...but much deeper. 30 minutes later I got a signal that I honestly just took a chance on. It read like a nickel...but bounced straight left. I figured this was the first time in 25 years that I was able to hit this spot...so might as well DIG. Out popped the 1884 Injun from 8". Lately...I've dug some very old injuns...and NONE of them hit like a textbook injun should. The older ones have hit like a pulltab...but then jumped straight left.
Plugged along and dug another injun (1887) that hit weird like the last one...just a strange lower hit that puzzled me. ??? Had I not dug the 1862 fatty injun last week...I would probably not have dug the injuns today...cause they hit the same way...lower...then jumped to the left...so I took a chance and dug them. :o
About an hour later I got a bouncer hit that danced accross the top of the screen...but it sounded very sweet. Out popped the 1893s Barber dime which is a $25 coin in vg condition. :icon_sunny:
About that time Phil showed up and I showed him what I had at that time...3 injuns and two barber dimes.
The good signals were very few and far between...but they were ALL OLDIES.
The first 2 hours I used my 10 x 14 Excelerator coil...but as slow as I swing...my shoulder needed a break...so it was time to use the 1050 coil for the next 2 hours. It wasn't so much the weight of the coil as much as it is my bad shoulder from getting cracked on my Harley a few years ago! Nonetheless...anyone who has ever hunted with me will tell you....I don't even really swing the coil....I go super slow motion and just "scan" the ground...and it takes it's toll on me after a couple of hours. :D
We had 2 hours left...so off we went...right back through the same section I just hit...but at a different angle this time. It was really hard to hear the signals through the gibberish...which had gotten worse now towards the evening for some reason?? I got an iffy silver hit...but it was very deep and really stuck out through all the interference sounds coming from the SE. I dug down about 8" and out popped a coin I have NEVER seen before. I got all excited and went over to show Phil because it looked like a half dime...but smaller....VERY tiny....and VERY thin. I had no clue what it was because I didn't recognize the head on the front. What a let down when we realized it was a Canadian silver 5 cent piece...and not a half dime....or half reale. :'( :sign12: Oh well...still silver...still a neat find...and it was an 1897. :icon_cheers: How tiny is it?...well the barber dimes I found weigh 2.5 grams each and you know how thin they are. The canadian 5 cent silver piece weighs ONLY 1.2 grams...LESS than half of what the barbers do..and is paper thin. :tongue3:
A long time went by and I was getting very frustrated...as by now...the interference was just unbarable. I hadn't even been able to distinguish a good signal from gibberish in over an hour. Finally I heard that sweet sound mixed in ..but no way I could even attempt to pinpoint from all the noise...so I guessed at the location...cut a monster plug...then ran the probe in the hole. BINGO...about 3" deeper...out popped the third Barber dime. :D I was really hoping for a seated...as I haven't found one in a while. :-\ Oh well. You know you've had a great hunt when you are a little let down to see a third Barber dime come out of the ground. ;D It was a 1901 and very nice...full Liberty clearly visible along the head. :thumbsup:
Thanks for reading...and good luck on your next hunt.

Attachments

• coins58.jpg
    coins58.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 930
  • coins59.jpg
    coins59.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 901
  • coins60.jpg
    coins60.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 890
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Holy Cow!!! Bryce, what an awesome hunt there, buddy!! Three barbers, 1 Canadian fish scale, and 3 Injuns!! Dang, I wish I could hunt that spot with you. ::)

I know exactly what you mean by the Explorer "gibberish" noise that it can make in certain areas of electrical interference. You get a lot of mixed signals, and it takes extra concentration/knowledge to know what is a good, deep signal, and what is just falsing.

Thanks for the little insight on the older, deeper Injuns. I think I may know where a few of those are hiding now that you say some are registering very low, like a pull-tab.

Congrats, again, on a killer hunt!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes SF, you had it "wired" this time!!! :tongue3: ;D What a fantastic hunt. I'm glad to see you stuck it out.
Those are some great finds Bryce. I really like that Canadian one too. :thumbsup: Simply an awesome day for you.
-MM-

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Holy Cow!!! Bryce, what an awesome hunt there, buddy!! Three barbers, 1 Canadian fish scale, and 3 Injuns!! Dang, I wish I could hunt that spot with you. ::)

I know exactly what you mean by the Explorer "gibberish" noise that it can make in certain areas of electrical interference. You get a lot of mixed signals, and it takes extra concentration/knowledge to know what is a good, deep signal, and what is just falsing.

Thanks for the little insight on the older, deeper Injuns. I think I may know where a few of those are hiding now that you say some are registering very low, like a pull-tab.

Congrats, again, on a killer hunt!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Dan. The last few injuns I have dug have been really strange hits. They all hit about where a pulltab does...but they never locked. They always jumped to the left...then locked where I have my iron mask set at. Now if I'm at a site that is pulltab infested...no way I can dig those hits...cause' it's almost like lookin' for gold. However...if I'm at an old site and take a chance on a few of those hits...and pop out an old injun....then I'll dig them until my hand hurts. ;D It's weird because at some sites...those weird hits are pulltabs...but at other sites...the older or corroded injuns pop out.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Holy smokes SF, you had it "wired" this time!!! :tongue3: ;D What a fantastic hunt. I'm glad to see you stuck it out.
Those are some great finds Bryce. I really like that Canadian one too. :thumbsup: Simply an awesome day for you.
-MM-
Thanks MM. It was a fun time...but definately gave me a headache ;D
Didn't know until Dan just responded to my post...that I found my first "fish scale" (silver canadian 5 cent piece) :thumbsup:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: NO Mercs...NOT even a wheatie..BUT the Barber shop was OPEN...Injuns welcome

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Bryce...

Just freekin SPLENDORIFFIC my man...

Holy Crap what a hunt...

Congratulations...

Nick

Thanks Nick. Funny thing is...that park has given me hardly any silver in the last 30 years. The little trip through the "twighlight zone" area really paid off though. However...the falsing gibberish gave me a "righteous" headache ;D

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Another amazing hunt! Nice job on the tiny silver.
That's an INCREDIBLE haul from a "hunted-out" place.
Great work! Congrats!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice "no Merc day" :wink: :thumbsup:

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Great day Bryce. Super looking coins, and a multiple day to boot. Keep up those great descriptions they really help us all out. HH
JDD

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Re: NO Mercs...NOT even a wheatie..BUT the Barber shop was OPEN...Injuns welcome

Great hunt SF, lotsa nice coins in one hunt, that's great. The twilight zone huh? I know where you'll be hunting at the next power outage :thumbsup:
Glenn

Formula1BMW

May 29, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Hey. Really nice looking finds! They look to be in pretty good condition. I found a Merc and a silver Rosie a couple weeks ago...the Rosie was abour an inch deeper, but in the same whole. I think your Barbers are better condition though. Good luck.

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the "no merc day"!!! That would be a record day for me!! Just goes to show no place is every truely "worked out" Thanks for shareing

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Way-to-go Bryce. Ain't it fun when it all comes together. I dug a nice fish scale in Winchester Ill. last year, so I know about tiny signals. I have a couple of areas where the overhead transmittion lines really make hunting tough. I found out that on my CZ6 if I go to salt mode and reduce the sen. it really cuts down on the static. Good hunt and keep on diggin.

"May there always be a road"

Les

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Bryce, you've shown what persistence can do..those iffy signals were worth the effort..glad you came out on the winning end!

Nat

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a let down to dig a Canadian 5 cent (fishscale)? Those are not easy to find...it's silver, it's Victorian, what more do you want. Expand your horizons! ;D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you were able to get your machine settled down enough to hunt that area. Those are some "all star" finds in anyone's book. It's been a while since I've found silver. I kind of miss that feeling. Congrats on your great day. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread