Lurker finds Medieval/post Medieval relics...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! I have been lurking and checking out the posts but not posting much lately. Been busy around the house with the family, gardening and cutting firewood. Still getting out detecting for short hunts. Took my 10 year old daughter fishing along the stream that borders our property, she caught a brook trout and a rainbow trout, both nice eating size but she was on the catch and release program so we put them back gently. We had a blast. Here she is with the rainbow trout.
23May08SelRain.jpg

One of the farmers spreading yesterdays cattle feed, I was glad to be able to get down wind from this smell on the other side of the field!
23May08Tractor.jpg

A birds nest we had along side our barn, they flew the coupe the next day after this picture.
23May08Birds.jpg

I bought a 2003 Suzuki 4X4 detector mobile. My oldest son got his license and after driving around looking for the right car for two weeks, I got tired of looking and gave him my Audi and bought myself what I wanted, or close to what I wanted, LOL.
23May08Suzuki.jpg

I never thought I would do something like this but… The town where I detect mostly and I am also a member in the historical society of is celebrating its 1000th year of being a town. I was asked to participate in the support of the festival and given the task of playing a medieval soldier 25/26 July-08. This is actually kind of fun. Since I was given my uniform, the society asked that I join them in a parade last Sunday which I did. 200 surrounding towns participated in the parade, we marched over 2 miles through the county seat of Tirschenreuth. It was really awesome seeing this parade up close and being involved, it was a great medieval representation of the area. Now here’s the funny part, I did not realize we were marching in a parade until we got there, my German is good but many times I do not understand a few words here and there. Imagine my surprise when we were lining up and it was fully explained what we were about to do! We are going to do what??? Here’s a picture of me as the medieval soldier in full, still naïve and not knowing I am about to march in a parade through the town, LOL.
27May08medsoldier.jpg

The field I have been detecting is a fresh mowed hay field, not much left as I have pounded it having found my oldest coins and relics around this field. I was going for the weak deep iffy signals. What a surprise, those weak signals turned out to be some awesome relics. Here are two lead seals, two thimbles and a finger ring made from bronze, was probably plated in its earlier life, LOL.
27May08relics.jpg

Two 1700s copper coins, lucky to get a date from these thin coppers.
27May08cop1700s.jpg

Three tiny silver coins, low grade silver around .167 but always nice to find!
27May08silcoins.jpg

This is an un sure find, looks like a medieval cross bow bolt tip designed to break whatever it hit, would be an unusual design. Approximately 32mm/1.25”. I welcome any ID help or opinions!
27May08spitz.jpg

This looks like a cap badge. A double headed eagle with a crown on top. Could be Russian, Prussian or Austrian but looks like a Russian. The wing is bent behind. I welcome any ID help!
27May08capbadge.jpg

Reverse of the cap badge.
27May08capbadgeR.jpg

A bowl weight from the 1800s and a cock valve from the 1500-1600s for a small keg tap.
27May08wtvalve.jpg

Here is one of the best seal matrixes I have found and one of my favorite relics to find. Seal matrixes are very personal as they were an individual’s signature. It is possible to trace down the person that used it. This matrix is probably 300-400 years old.
23May08SealObv.jpg

The matrixes stamp in clay. Top has a knight’s helmet surrounded by plumes. Center has a quarter moon, dragon’s bust, star. Lower middle the letter “H”, right a fowl, duck or a chicken, almost looks like it is sitting on three eggs. This is really a beautiful coat of arms.
23May08SealStamp.jpg

Top stem of the matrix, fits comfortably between the thumb and index finger. A quick update on a survey. The Archies and students did a survey where the 1000 year old town supposedly stood from 1008-1250 AD. They used a magnetometer where the buildings should have been. Their report said they found no evidence that a town ever stood there. We now have two more possibilities, the field where I found these relics once had a farm, could have been the original town. Another site I detect has also given up awesome relics and also had a farm on it close by, another possibility and is the field above with the tractor. I will post about the original town site hunt later with finds. HH, Mike
23May08SealT.jpg

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all STELLAR finds! The seal matrix is one of the finest I've seen posted here. Silvers are great, and all of the other relics are top notch. Hopefully someone will be of assistance on the "cross bow bolt."

Great photography, as always. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckleboy

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great historical finds and that seal is the best. Hope you can trace it to a person. That would be awesome!

SKD

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very entertaining post. Great relics. Your 4x4 is nice too. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! I love that stamp with the coat of arms.

fourtrak

May 31, 2008
Hi.

Re Crossbow bolt, looks like image No 9 ,page 18, of 'The Crossbow. Its Military and Sporting History, Construction ans Use' by
Ralph Payne-Gallwey. A bolt for use against large birds, probably water fowl

Hope this helps 'Fourtrak'.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very historic. Love the pics!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds and hunting with Children :Priceless!!!

Thanks for posting those nice pictures, sort of looks like the Stuttgart area, where I was stationed
while I was in the Army, many decades ago. LOL

HH,Ringfinder

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fourtrak said:
Hi.

Re Crossbow bolt, looks like image No 9 ,page 18, of 'The Crossbow. Its Military and Sporting History, Construction ans Use' by
Ralph Payne-Gallwey. A bolt for use against large birds, probably water fowl

Hope this helps 'Fourtrak'.
I agree that the archery tip is definately for small game or birds. They are designed like this to catch turf in the case of a miss. This limits the loss of the arrow. There are modern versions available, and in use today. I am an avid archer, and use similar tips for rabbit. Great finds. :icon_pirat:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Mike, Awsome finds and thanks for sharing

t.p

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice post-Med Seal 8)

The mystery item is cool but I'm not convinced its a arrow-head. It reminds me of something I have seen but can't put my finger on it, if I remember I will post. Worth further investigation (looks medieval).

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Always love to see what you're gonna post next...and once again you didn't let us down!! :D

Awesome finds...especially the seal. Congrats!

HH, Hank 8)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike ,that was a very fun post! Great finds also. :thumbsup: I wanted a seal matrix badly but never found one while I was there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread