Dug big hole in my yard...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Today I got out the detector looking for the septic tank under my lawn to dig up to be emptied tomorrow (sorry for the visual). This is my first house and first time ever doing this after being here three years. Someone is coming tomorrow with a giant suction tank and...you get the picture. Got a signal where I was told it was by the previous owner and sure enough, a foot down under the lawn, there was the cover, but it's about 5ft across, so I have lots of digging left to expose the thing. That was my big dig for the day. Found one old iron nail in the hole and that's about it.

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heck,

scrape the entire back yard off down 4 or 5 inches, and find all the good old stuff!

Can't hurt since you're tearing up the yard anyway! ;D

Just re-seed after you're done, and the septic tank is replaced!

HH

Lonewolfe

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like tomorrow at your place is really going to "suck" ?:o
Chris

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
;D

clever folks...I should say my best find in my yard is a 1918 Merc., kind of amazing considering the house was built in 1958. That's the only silver so far.

R

retro-redux

be sure to turn off your AC-or the sh*t might just hit the fan :P :-* :D
Laura

Lee-MI-MI

Apr 3, 2005
Midland Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
Probably too late now but I am sure there is another smaller hole and cover at one end of the tank that would be sufficient for them to use for sucking it out.

Wonder how much treasures they suck up from all the septic tanks? Is there any kind of trap on the tank to let things settle out? Might just find some good $hit there. ;D

P

Pooley

You should have a small access lid on there somewhere. Not the whole lid but one that is about 1ft x 1ft.

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks, all. I realized that I had dug too wide and just couldn't see the seam in the lid. You are right it's about a foot or so by a foot or so. That's the latest 'poop' on the situation. ;D

springsman

May 27, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Reminds me of a joke my Grandpa used to tell....he was out at the outhouse doin his business one day but when he was pullin' up his pants a penny fell out and went down the hole....He then pulled out his wallet and took out a dollar bill and thru it down the hole too...when asked why he did that, he said "cause I wasn't about to stick my hand down there for just a penny" ;D

HH

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
Glad you found your access lid. It should have had a metal ring on top for lifting. Your detector should have picked it up.

Instead of hunting in a septic tank trap, has anyone every wondered where street sweepers dump their sweepings? :-\

Keep diggin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread