TWICE IN A LIFETIME FIND...8 REALE!!!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This in one of those "I was on my way back to the car" finds!! I decided to duck out of work a little early today and hit a field nearby where I had recently obtained permission. There was really nothing to lead me to believe that something was there but it looked like a good area. I had hunted for a couple hours with only a single musketball to show for it. There wasn't a lot of trash on the site so I wasn't really digging much either. I decided I was going to head back to the car and try another field which had just been cut (very early hay crop). I was on my way back to the car when I got a 92 on the F75. I swung by the hole a couple times and it stayed on a steady 92...never had a 92 before...I thought it must be a can or something...same thing I thought the last time I dug A FRIGGING 8 REALE!!!!

I popped the plug and there it was! I knew what it was instantly! I did not have my camera with me but I did have my cell phone so I snapped a couple quick insitus with the camera phone and a quick movie on the way home in the car. I kept the caked on dirt on the coin until I got home because I didn't want to risk scratching it.

A Mexico mint 1774 8 reale...without a huge distracting scar like the last 8 reale I dug! I was so excited on the field that I tried calling Mel, Andy and Iron Patch but I could not connect through 411 and I didn't have a pen to write down the numbers...I actually tried remembering the numbers but I couldn't concentrate...just too excited. I know I should have stayed and continued on with the field but when I am this stoked I can't concentrate on anything. Plus I want to keep it pure for a couple fellow detectorists...there are several who will be getting the invite...

Attachments

• 8realedirt.jpg
    8realedirt.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5,371
  • 8realedirt2.jpg
    8realedirt2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 5,374
  • 8reale.jpg
    8reale.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 5,333
  • 8reale2.jpg
    8reale2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 5,332
Upvote 2

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
Holy Cow! I'm totally jealous. Not one, but two 8 reales. I can't believe the shape of that one. I'm hoping just to break the 1800's and here you are with your second 8 reale. Congrats, won't be long til I see this one the banner. I'm never really looking to sell any finds, but out of curiousity what is something in that condition worth approximately?

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats for the second Real my friend.WTG.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found another one.....................Man I hate you.. ;D

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Congratulations on a gorgeous coin! Two of 'em heh? Wow. :icon_king:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful silver. Thats my dream coin right there....and you have two. :o I hope you can pull some more goodies out of that field.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bartman said:
Holy Cow! I'm totally jealous. Not one, but two 8 reales. I can't believe the shape of that one. I'm hoping just to break the 1800's and here you are with your second 8 reale. Congrats, won't be long til I see this one the banner. I'm never really looking to sell any finds, but out of curiousity what is something in that condition worth approximately?

Not worth a whole lot, couple hundred dollars but they are considered the holy grail of finds to many...

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV / Garrett GTI 2500
How deep was it? Up here, with the freeze and thaw cycles I think a coin drops a flippen 1/2" a year.
Let me see........ 2008 minus 1772 equals 236 years times .5 = 118 inch's divided by 12 = 9.8 FEET!!!!!!!!!!

THATS ONE GREAT DETECTOR AND ONE HECK OF A PLUG!!!!!
Congratulation on the dig, BEAUTIFUL COIN

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was only 5 inches down...I've got some insitus on my phone but have no idea how to download pics from the phone...

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that's a real beauty. Good work.

Ken

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who in the HELL finds TWO 8-Reales????!!!

That's a feather in your cap, buddy. Excellent work!

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all...btw...I didn't scratch his chin, I learned my lesson from the first 8 reale I dug...big plugs for me.

I have been detecting for three years and have found Spanish silver each year. 8 reale on year 1, 1 reale on year 2 and this one. I am super stoked!!!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in before the colonial boys :thumbsup:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
That is a truly spectacular find there, Romeo! :notworthy: It is in AWESOME shape to boot, too! :headbang:

Here I goooooooooooooooooo again...BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER! :icon_salut:

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread