New Hunter/Questions on my new detector.

R

RangerGal

Hello to all of you! I've been lurking here for a few days and finally decided to register.
I'm on Long Island, in NY and am about to receive a Radioshack 3000 bought on eBay.
Though my first choice (and recommendation to my husband) was for a White's, he insists
that the 3000 is every bit as good.
I'm a bit skeptical. What can you tell me about it?
I have the instructions (downloaded from Radioshack's website.)

But thanks to you I've already got a few spots set out for searching, and I have a lovely old map of
my area (Patchogue). There is deep history here dating back to the 1680's (judging from the local graveyard)
so I think I will have no trouble finding some really good stuff.
Thanks to all of you for alerting me to the need for permits on the local beaches. I'll be sending away for them ASAP.

Can't wait to scoop up my first clad at the local playground! ;D

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Welcome to the forum! As far as your choice of detectors, I can't help with that one, but your best asset for making great finds is to learn your detector! To get to know exactly what it does in different situations, plant a coin garden. Most importantly, get out there and hunt! The more you use it the better you will be familiar with it! Good Luck! Good Hunting! I look forward to seeing your finds! If you have any questions feel free to ask! omnicognic 8)

M

mchamby

Hi, welcome to our interesting sight it is a learning experience if you are new. As for your detector I can say I was very unhappy with my 3300 bounty hunter that I got for Christmas a few years ago. It would not ground balance well and would not give you the same reading twice for an object. As the guys in my detecting club say you get what you pay for. I know have a minelab and love it but would not suggest it as a starter detecter (minelab 2). I hear a lot of the guys on this forum boost of their ace 250's and I know a lot of people like their whites. The best thing to do is read what they have to say about the machines and get the best you can for what you can afford they all work just some are better than others and you will find things with even the cheapest. Hope this helps.
Mchamby ???

G

groundfishin

I bought a Radioshack 3000 3 months ago and HATED the thing!!! Took it back after 2 days and got a refund. Decided to spend more money, bought a White's XLT and couldn't be happier! Have been having great success with it with no complaints at all. I wish you lot's of luck. My best find so far is a CIvil War token dated 1863 at 11 inches deep in VF cond. Researched it and found out it is one of the good ones...Indiana Primitive, only 5 to 9 known to exist. I will be posting some pics soon of all my finds.

OP
OP
R

RangerGal

In reply to my own question I believe that I've found the post that my husband took literally:

In Reply to: Re: Is the Radio Shack VLF Disc.Metal Det. any good?
posted by Thilbert L Green on October 30, 1999 at 16:52:17

Preston, the BH Discovery series ARE made by BH and ARE very good detectors. I've used a Discovery 3000 ( similar to the BH Landstar). Mine has been 100% accurate, reliable and goes deep ! I've since used several brands, including Fisher, Whites, Tesoro and Shadow and purchased a new BH QDII for my son. You can buy a QDII for well under $200. It's got great target ID , depth meter and is really a slick little detector. Right now , in my personal "arsenal", I've got a Whites XLT, Shadow X2, Tesoro Silver Sabre II, BH QDII and the Discovery 3000. Each detector has it's own niche. While I respect Berts opinion and his experience, my experience with the newer BH detectors has been VERY positive. If you check out any of the BH forums ( Lucky Dans /Silver Mikes BH forums - luckydan.com/silvermike.com) , you'll see LOTS of happy BH users with some impressive finds under their belts. The Tesoro Amigo II is a great little entry level detector, but it lacks several features that are ( in my opinion) very worthwhile, like no motion all metal, interchangeable coils, etc( better off with a Cutlass, SS Umax, etc). To say that an entire product line is " bad" is simply a misinformed statement . There's NO WAY a manufacturer could stay in business if that were the case, let alone see huge increases in business. I'm sure BH has put out bad products ( as have Whites, Fisher, Tesoro,Ford, Chevy, etc.) at one time or another, but to make a blanket statement saying an entire line is "junk" is totally unfounded in fact. I happen to like BH ( I don't have ANYTHING to gain by telling you this either) from postive experience with several models of their detectors in recent years. I can't compare my XLT to my QDII because of many things, mainly the cost of the XLT is four times that of the BH. BH IS a contender in todays market ( they've got great quality control). Best of luck on whatever you end up buying, and most importantly - welcome to the hobby !!

After reading all the replies- I've gathered that my Discovery 3000 may be good or a piece of junk.
Guess we won't know until it's tried. I'd be glad to let you all know how it turns out. Should have it in a few days.

Ah --and good idea on the coin garden. I'd better test it first instead of going out and digging a thousand holes first time around. Still, I am thorough, and know some pret-ty decent spots to hit.
One of which will be my among my first tests; it's a trail that runs clean through a graveyard. It's been hit before with good results. Last fellow I talked to came up with a gold policeman's ring (the one with the shield molded in iit, no stones.) I know where to hunt (along the wrought iron fenceline and trail) so I think I'll have a decent time of it testing her out.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
They all work! Some are better some aren't.. What really matters is when are you going to give up? How long are you going to learn?
It's all in the numbers..If you don't use what you got......
Dano

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
I'm sorry that I don't have any advice about your detector, but welcome and have fun.... :)

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Your detector should work fine. Start out with your detector set to discriminate out everything but penny, dimes quarters and above. That will let you find coins without driving you nuts on trash item while you learn how to pinpoint. Once you get where you can find, pinpoint and receive coins. If you have any problems don't be afraid to ask. ?The construction is not as good as a say Whites or Garrett, but you won't have a problem with depth and the discrimination should be pretty good. If you enjoy the hobby then upgrade to a better detector and save that one as a spare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread