Teachers purse found

Grumpyoldman

Jun 5, 2008
Hello everyone,

I am a new member but have been reading so many wonderful posts for about a year now. I do have alot of really good items to post (well they are good to me anyway). Today at lunch I decided to make a quick trip to a local park and swing my ace 250 in the tot lot for a bit. I wasn't really finding to much but as I was circling around the newer palt equiptment I happend to look up, I couldnt believe what I saw. Sitting there in the big barrel tube thing that the small kids like to crawl through was a big black perce. I am thinking, what the heck, there was no one around this play area, mainly due to it being a school day plus the fact of the weather being so horrid here in Oregon. Well I crawled my wa y the purce and it looked like it was still full,, who ever placed it here did not dump everything out or toss their stuff in a near by bush. I went back to work and called the woman from the I.D. I left here a voice message. I waited and waited with no responce, I then checked the phone book once again for anyone else with the same last name. This time I got lucky and a guy answered, I explained that one of my hobbies was metal detecting and then procceded to tell him of my find, sure enough he new the owner, it was his sister inlaw and he told me she is a teacher. Well as soon as I heard that then things started to make a bit more sence, you see there is a school that is very close to this city park, I asked him if that was the school she teached at and he said he really didn't know. I gave him my work phone number and told him that I really want to get this purce back to this lady, even if it ment for me to stay late after work for her to retreave this item. After I got off the phone, I looked up the phone number to this school and sure enough this was one of the wonderful teachers working there, and yes her purce was stolen. Well to make a long story a bit shorter, I drove down to the school and returned this purce to this very nice lady, her husband was also there, it looks like who ever took her purce did take $60 cash in which I was sad to hear, I told her that I was hoping all of her stuff was still there, but let me tel you,, they were so glad to get back everything that they said the money just didn't matter. I don't believe the person who stole her purce took anything except for the money.
Here husband asked for my name and my address so they could send me a thank you note, I did tell them both that just the pleasure of seeing them get their personal items back was a great reward and that they did not need to send me anything. I made sure that everyone I spoke with about trying to trace down the owner knows that I love to metal detect, I really felt that was important to keep the good stuff that so many of os try to do when we are out enjoying this great hobby:)
I really love this site and try to check it every day, there are so many good honest people on here and I look foreward to being a part of this community:)

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grumpy
You did a great job and a good deed for sure...Good karma comming your way for that one... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A high five for you, Grumpy. You did a good deed :thumbsup:

High%20Five! (4).jpg

Attachments

• High%20Five! (4).jpg
    High%20Five! (4).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 957

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Grumpy! :icon_sunny: Really great 1st post that is the best way to keep a good name for detecting and yourself!

Great Job!

If they do still say they want to thank you another way say ok ! Can I detect your yard? ;D

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Props for the act. But be careful......never know if they trust you and are getting you checked out....my 2 cents.....

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going Mr. G! :thumbsup: ;D

Isn't it awesome that you were the one to find it? And doesn't it feel great to have it returned to someone thankful to get it back? I've returned 3 wallets in my MDing travels so far, and I've never regretted going through the extra effort to find the owner(s).

Again nice job :thumbsup:

Nat

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Grumpy,

Glad you managed to find the owner. Too bad about the stolen money. You did the right thing by returning the purse to the owner. Yes, Good Karma is in your future.

Ray S

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
snacth and grab by a kid or a dope head most likely -- have them get new credit cards -- often the crooks steal the numbers -- and sell the info to others who order stuff using the numbers --- great recovery job wtg!!!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep! YOU are a credit to Metal Detecting, Grunpy WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH Joe

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Grumpy,
You can't be too grumpy to do such an wonderful thing.
:wav: :wav:
Tennessee Joe

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
hey Grumpy....... Good job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Proud to have you here and look forward to your future posts.

Woodsie

Oct 25, 2006
Northeastern PA
Detector(s) used
XLT by Whites
That is a great story..I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of you and what you have done to improve the image of this hobby...
A big salute :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread