Best 2 hour hunt of my life. BIG 1800s SILVER...TWO BARBER HALVES...YIPPEE!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best 2 hour hunt of my life. BIG 1800's SILVER...TWO BARBER HALVES...YIPPEE!

I am STILL shaking...seriously. I know half of you probably won't believe this...but I have been hunting for 30 years and NOT found one of these. ??? Now after an hour and 45 minute hunt...I have TWO of them. :headbang: I honestly almost posted just one of them because I don't think I would believe this post myself...but I give you my word...it's true. :angel7: I found BOTH of these Barber halves in less than 2 hours...and came home about an hour ago...EARLY . As a matter of fact I could STILL be hunting...but I sincerely needed to go home...as I am in shock...and just wanted to sit down and enjoy these beauties. :icon_sunny:
If you read my last post a week or so ago...then you know about the crazy site that makes detectors go nuts because of all the interference. This makes 9 coins now that I have pulled from this site in the last 2 weeks... and the latest coin is the 1906 Barber half. This nutty site has given up the following coins in the last 2 hunts...NO wheaties...NO mercs...BUT 3 Barber dimes...3 Injuns...an 1897 5 cent piece...and now TWO Barber halves. :thumbsup: :occasion14:
After 45 minutes...I got a pretty decent high silver hit..but with all the interference could not pinpoint. I dug a plug deep enough to park my Harley in ;D ...then ran the probe in the hole. Popped out a big clod of mud and saw a big silver rim and thought I found a stinkin' screw cap. ;D WRONG...upon closer inspection...saw the lines on the rim...yippee. :thumbsup: Thought it was a Walker...but when I saw the big head...my mouth just got stuck...in WIDE open position. :D :tongue3: Been waitin' 30 years for one of these...a BARBER HALF...and what a beauty. :icon_sunny: Dipped it in the mud puddle and wiped it off with my finger...then saw the date. 1898...and FULL liberty visible along the head. Looks like a solid fine condition coin.
After staring at it for 15 minutes or so...I did my best to make mouth close...and stay in the closed position. :laughing9: I then tried to gather myself as best as I could. I carried it to the car and set it on the seat...didn't even want to put it in my pouch. :wink:
Made my way back to my spot I had gridded and started again. After another 40 minutes or so I got a nice...but very strange hit. To be 100% honest...had I not just dug my first Barber half ...I might have PASSED on this signal.... It did have a slight high silver tone...but then it jumped down towards pull tab...and the tone changed completely. Turn a little...and the slight high tone came back. I thought...Well...what the heck...the Barber half just popped out 30 feet from here... so I'm diggin' anything that beeps. ::) :blob5: Again...no pinpointing because of the interference...and again a MONSTER plug. Ran the probe and got a nasty pulltab tone about 8" down. Popped out the old style tab :violent1:...then ran the probe again...BINGO. I thought a silver dime would go nicely with the my first Barber half. I dug down another 2" or so and popped out a muddy clod ...and then couldn't even move to pick it up cause' I started shaking from what I saw. ANOTHER BIG SILVER RIM peeking out of the clod from about 10" down. :icon_thumleft: NO WAY this is possible ...is what I thought. After 2 minutes or so...my trembling hands grabbed the clod and squished it. Out plopped a SECOND Barber half covered with crud and mud...but the date was clearly visible...1906o. :thumbsup:
I couldn't even hunt any longer...I just wanted to come home because I was in complete shock.
I drove straight home... placed them on the scanner...never even cleaning the 1906o...and took the pics. I then ran cold water on it and it's actuallly NICER than the 1898. I then took more pics after it was rinsed. It has full liberty and full rim...FULL everything. The scan doesn't show the detail...but it looks like it might have a shot at VF! UNBELIEVABLE!
30 years and NEVER found one...then in LESS than 2 hours I have TWO...and they are BOTH very nice. The hunt of my life and I am STILL in shock... and my hands are still trembling as I type.
Thanks for sharing this with me and good luck to you on your next hunt. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• coins61.jpg
    coins61.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,690
  • coins63.jpg
    coins63.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,650
  • coins65.jpg
    coins65.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,652
  • coins67.jpg
    coins67.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,679
  • coins68.jpg
    coins68.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,685
  • coins64.jpg
    coins64.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,636
Upvote 0

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Re: Best 2 hour hunt of my life. BIG 1800's SILVER...TWO BARBER HALVES...YIPPEE!

SWEEEEEEEET digs...Love that silver..WTG...jgas

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best 2 hour hunt of my life. BIG 1800's SILVER...TWO BARBER HALVES...YIPPEE!

That's two very nice lumps of silver in ONE hunt, I'll be the first to say it... :director: Banner!!

Gratz on the nice large silver firsts :wink: :D ;D

Keep @ it and HH !!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jgas said:
SWEEEEEEEET digs...Love that silver..WTG...jgas
Thanks jgas

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
That's two very nice lumps of silver in ONE hunt, I'll be the first to say it... :director: Banner!!

Gratz on the nice large silver firsts :wink: :D ;D

Keep @ it and HH !!
Thanks MUD. Now if I can stop shaking. Seriously about 2 hours has gone by and I'm STILL trembling. Now I need to go to work. Who can think about work ;D

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Rock On Bryce... :headbang:

I give that hunt a 987,654,321 out of 987,654,321... :thumbsup:

Congrats on the Double Whammy...

Nick

Thanks Nick. I need to stop shakin' like a kid on a first date..and head to work ;D
By the way...I will slip you an email when I get home. I'm supposed to receive an email tonight...of the date for the hunt. :thumbsup:

vthepresident

Dec 30, 2007
Charlottesville, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Prism II, Tesoro Sand Shark

Nice job man. You might need a dolly to carry around all that loot.

V

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705

Oh my!! Love em. Nice hunt I would say!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two thumbs up for that hunt!!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Absolutely beautiful. Congrats on a great find (double that)...Lance

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been hunting over 30 years and I've never found one either. I'm sure I would react the same way. That is an awesome haul. Congrats on the TWO Barber halves. Couldn't happen to a better guy....DANG!!!!!!!!!!

DANGLANGLEY

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wish my 2 hour hunts were like that. :'( Congrats

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow. I'm still looking for my first silver half and you find 2 barbers. :o Incredible day you had. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bryce, I can just feel the excitement of your post and actually envisioned what you wrote about..almost as if I was there!

Congratulations on the twin Barbers..wonder if they were dropped out of the same pocket a hundred or so years ago..

Nat

itbeepsidig

Oct 8, 2007

Never seen 2 found in one hunt before. . BANNER BANNER BANNER. SOMEONE nominate this for the Banner. I don't know how ???

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X

Sweet coins!
I wonder what the odds are of finding 2 Barber halfs in one day!
Is this from the "hunted-out" park again?
Congrats! Damn! Nice finds!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

You need to put one of those back and not be so selfish!! WTG on a double Barber Half day!! I've had a couple days where I found $1 in Barber coins, but not two half dollars!! I sure hope you find #3 there too!! Nice finds and sometimes you have to hit those type of spots to get those well hidden goodies!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice! I know the feeling...when I found my 8 reale on Wednesday I couldn't even stay on the site...too stoked to concentrate!

conlaodh

Dec 10, 2007
Denver
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505, Explorer II

It sure is nice when we get our metal detecting fix and this a double whammy at that.
Congrats.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hey Bryce !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats buddy on an INCREDIBLE HUNT - it doesn't get much better than seeing a half dollar come out but to go back and get another one in the same day - unheard of !!!!

great story too - i really felt like i was right there with ya !

i really hope you make it to the banner, you definately deserve it buddy

big congrats again on a day you will NEVER forget !

kevin

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Way to go, big guy, on those Barbers! You are the king of the Missouri parks!

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread