HOLY S$$$... A LIVE PARROT SHELL AND CW FINDS!!!

L

lovedigging

Haven't been out in a few weeks and it's been killing me. Not like me at all,but to much work and so hot... Yesterday here in Virginia it was in the high 90's and the heat index reached 108 so I decided to stay in my truck with the air conditioning on high and try to find a few new spots. My luck was pretty good, after about two hours I had two new places to go so I was at one at day break today. It didn't seem to matter much cause it was already very hot and the ticks looked like a parade coming up my legs but within five minutes I found the 69 bullet and was determined to find the old house site the farmer had said was once there. After about an hour I had dug a few buttons and another bullet when I hit a grassy area and hit a strong signal. After sweeping my Whites -DFX over it a few times I could tell it was fairly large so I started a pretty good circle around it and when I flipped the grass over I about fell over. Within two inches under the ground was this parrot shell. I never dreamed I'd be lucky enough to dig one after digging a cannonball with my brother a few months ago. It was a shame he wasn't with me...Anyway, I hope someone can help me identify it and suggest where I can take it in Virginia to have it defused... I weighed it on my scales and it was just over nine pounds. I'd like to put it with my collection but I don't want to have to worry about blowing up my house ;D Also can someone help me with the flat button??? Hope everyone is having a great weekend and staying COOL...

Attachments

• r1.JPG
    r1.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,291
  • r2.JPG
    r2.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,296
  • r3.JPG
    r3.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,298
  • r4.JPG
    r4.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,288
  • r5.JPG
    r5.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,297
  • r6.JPG
    r6.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,285
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: HOLY S$$$... A LIVE MORTAR SHELL AND CW FINDS!!!

Maybe there is a local Army National guard unit near with EOD( explosive ordanance disposal team . I don't know if something that old could do anything but when in doubt, leave it alone :-[ Furthermore, did they even have a mortar shell during the civil war :icon_scratch: I don't know but it appears to be something more modern

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
great finds! that big bullet scares the heck out of me. there was a post somewhere here where an experienced cannon ball collector painted his drive way, with blood!

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
flyinguy said:
great finds! that big bullet scares the heck out of me. there was a post somewhere here where an experienced cannon ball collector painted his drive way, with blood!

Tacky. Since he was a fellow MDer and CW collector and preservationist and died doing what he loved.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
First, GREAT find.

Now, it's NOT going to just blow up, so stop worrying.

DON'T take it to, or call the military EOD, or local PD.....they will very likely confiscate it, and 'dispose' of it (blow it up in a safe area, and you're out your CW relic.

Like I said above, it's not just going to just blow up. You're fine.

I'm not sure exactly what shell you have, or of the fuze, but I know of a couple of folks who could tell you, so before you do anything rash, please contact either or both of them.

One of them is John Walsh of Fort Donelson Relics, and he can be reached at: mailto:[email protected]

The other person is recognized as an expert of Civil War artillery, and he lives in Virginia, I believe. His name is Peter George, and he is an author of several books regarding shells. He can be reached at: mailto:p[email protected].

Please, contact them with any of your questions regarding safe handling of this relic.

Like I said, it's not just going to just 'blow up', just like a bullet in your closet isn't just going to just 'fire'.

PS, I can already hear the naysayers..how are you so sure it's not going to explode, yet you don't know exactly which shell it is...well, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of different types and calibers of CW artillery shells. No, I don't know EXACTLY which this particular one is without an accurate measurement, and weight, but I do know that since this shell failed to explode 145 years ago, it's NOT going to just explode now. Both of the gentlemen whom I referenced above are also experienced in 'defuzing' or rendering inert CW shells, and BOTH of them can attest that CW shells don't just 'blow up'. I invite any doubters to contact Mr. George, and let him explain it to you. He is likely the world's leading authority on American Civil War Artillery. Read his books.........you'll be amazed.

Roger

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

ramjet2187 said:
First, GREAT find.

Now, it's NOT going to just blow up, so stop worrying.

DON'T take it to, or call the military EOD, or local PD.....they will very likely confiscate it, and 'dispose' of it (blow it up in a safe area, and you're out your CW relic.

Like I said above, it's not just going to just blow up. You're fine.

I'm not sure exactly what shell you have, or of the fuze, but I know of a couple of folks who could tell you, so before you do anything rash, please contact either or both of them.

One of them is John Walsh of Fort Donelson Relics, and he can be reached at: mailto:[email protected]

The other person is recognized as an expert of Civil War artillery, and he lives in Virginia, I believe. His name is Peter George, and he is an author of several books regarding shells. He can be reached at: mailto:p[email protected].

Please, contact them with any of your questions regarding safe handling of this relic.

Like I said, it's not just going to just 'blow up', just like a bullet in your closet isn't just going to just 'fire'.

PS, I can already hear the naysayers..how are you so sure it's not going to explode, yet you don't know exactly which shell it is...well, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of different types and calibers of CW artillery shells. No, I don't know EXACTLY which this particular one is without an accurate measurement, and weight, but I do know that since this shell failed to explode 145 years ago, it's NOT going to just explode now. Both of the gentlemen whom I referenced above are also experienced in 'defuzing' or rendering inert CW shells, and BOTH of them can attest that CW shells don't just 'blow up'. I invite any doubters to contact Mr. George, and let him explain it to you. He is likely the world's leading authority on American Civil War Artillery. Read his books.........you'll be amazed.

Roger
Roger, Thank you for the information and I wil put it to good use... I'm not worried about the shell or I would've left it there. I agree with you that if it didn't explode in 145 years it probally won't now I'd just rather do the smart and safe thing and have it defused. Again, I really appreciate your help...

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Absolutely, I'm not advocating NOT having it defused, I'm just saying you don't have anything to worry about it just 'going off'..............

And again, GREAT FIND.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
until inerted it can be dangerous * while things wil not just "explode"without cause (like many nervious nellies think it will)--- it has not blown up for almost 150 years why start now? --- that said however --- there are things that can make the explode -- like falling so that it impacts on the fuse , being drilled into (sparks and black powder bad mix) , and extreme heat

it is an explosive item --so treat it with due respect of course-- heck I used to haul ammo on a ammo ship during the first gulf war -- most explosive items if handled with care and smartly aren't that dangerous --its when you mistreat / handle them carelessly that you might not live to regret it.

dorkyguy

Feb 20, 2008
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
TC!
what a great find! WHile I am scraping paint off my house, you are still out there battling the heat and ticks!
Great work! I can't wait to see that stuff in the flesh (when it is defused of course!)

More items for the TC/DC Civil war museum!

have a great one
DG

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caryl said:
flyinguy said:

Tacky. Since he was a fellow MDer and CW collector and preservationist and died doing what he loved.

Not tacky, just the truth...Be careful.....AWESOME FINDS BTW...............

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

dorkyguy said:
TC!
what a great find! WHile I am scraping paint off my house, you are still out there battling the heat and ticks!
Great work! I can't wait to see that stuff in the flesh (when it is defused of course!)

More items for the TC/DC Civil war museum!

have a great one
DG
DG, Thanks for the reply... You need to get that house done and hook up with my brother and I before long, Stay Cool...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXCELLENT FIND!

Send it off to be defused. Until then, keep it cool--like in a basement or something. The water that comes in around the fuse hole reacts with the black powder over time to produce flammable gasses that can be worse than the gunpowder itself--and more flammable. In many instances, this is what causes a shell to "burp" when being drilled. Shells have been in the ground at a fairly constant temperature over the last century and a half--and bringing them up and keeping them in a warm environment speeds up this reaction of water (sealed in by rust around the fuse hole) and powder. So just keep the shell in a cool place and send it off to a CW professional for defusing. Do NOT send it to any authorities--they will detonate it!

Congratulations on digging a GREAT piece of American history!

-Buckleboy

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Way to go brother........AGAIN!!!!

As many have said before, you must have the golden horseshoe!!!!

Congratulations on another great find. I too wish I could have been there today. I must say though that I can guarantee you that what I was doing was a LOT hotter than what you were experiencing. It's way too hot to be hunting in the weeds right now, maybe its time to go to the beach again and find some more rings ;D.

Cant wait to hold that shell in my hands. As far as the buttons, the New York looks great, my monitor at home sucks (its really dark) so I will have to wait until I get to work tomorrow to take a better look at the other buttons for an I.D.

Lamont.Scraps

Jan 8, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Yet another incredible find!!! Can I get lifetime free membership to the Cooper Bros. Museum of rare yet unbelievable pieces of recovered CW American history and other anomalies? Just when you think that there is no way you could top your previous finds you do it again, congratulations! Keep it up can't wait to see more...

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont use a big hammer use a small one :thumbsup:

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As others have said, DO NOT!! send it to any of the "authorities" they will destroy it in the interest of "your safety". Pete George is very knowledgeable about those artifacts and can safely defuse it for you. Friend of mine found a Read shell recently and had it defused. Great finds by the way :thumbsup:

DCMDer

Oct 2, 2007
Washington DC
I believe Harry Ridgeway in Winchester Va. disarms shells(or used to anyway) for a small fee. His website is relicman.com. Very nice find.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it will not just blow up. But, whatever is in it is quite unstable. I would not jar it in any way, bump or mess with it. Unstability is what I would be concerned about. Just my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread