1884 Indian Head

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Not a lot to show for three hours of fighting the briars at an 1800's one room schoolhouse site but I'll always take an Indian Head as a successful hunt. The wild strawberries were a welcome sight mmm,mmm good. Theres a good crop of raspberries and blackberries coming on so i might have to have a berry bucket handy before too long. If i ain't finding any keepers i can always go home with a bucket of raspberries and throw together a cobbler ;D I think this big piece may be part of a school desk? Thanks for havin a look!!!
Jerry

added 3 pics of the Indian Head's coming out party,it cleaned up nice with a full Liberty headband yeah!!!

Attachments

• twp 1884 in hand.JPG
    twp 1884 in hand.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 546
  • twp overal 11.JPG
    twp overal 11.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 546
  • twp strawberry.JPG
    twp strawberry.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 549
  • twp blackberry.JPG
    twp blackberry.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 544
  • twp sweet william.JPG
    twp sweet william.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 543
  • twp whatzit 1.JPG
    twp whatzit 1.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 529
  • twp whatzit 2.JPG
    twp whatzit 2.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 1884-1.JPG
    1884-1.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 494
  • 1884-2.JPG
    1884-2.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 1884-3.JPG
    1884-3.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Going OJ.....Can't forget the Cherrie's either ;D I snag em' all too.....Still looking for my first IH,Congrat's to ya!!!

madmacabre

Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
Wow that Indian cent is beautiful. sometimes soil will completely eat at copper and other times it will encase it in a dirt crust cocoon like yours

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Thats a sweeet indian Jerry!! I like the pics with the dirt still on it. It adds to the suspense if the liberty is still there or not. I always love digging the indians and your right about it not being a wasted hunt! 8)

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi OJ,
What method did you use to clean your IH? Please be explicit as I am sure there are others that would like to know. Joe

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man- That indian cleaned up nice.- Good hunt Jerry :thumbsup:

West Coast Fever

May 13, 2008
SF South Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hey Jerry,

How in the world did you clean that coin so well. did you sand blast it or tumble it? That is an awsomw find. I need to know how to clean my coins like that.

Great school day, though I never paid that much attention at school until I got a tector either. :D

HH

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
West Coast Fever said:
Hey Jerry,

How in the world did you clean that coin so well. did you sand blast it or tumble it? That is an awsomw find. I need to know how to clean my coins like that.

Great school day, though I never paid that much attention at school until I got a tector either. :D

HH
This cleaning method comes from Hero Member Mirage and it works great!! following is the recipe;
Try cleaning a wheat penny (prior to 1941) with this method:

pour a tablespoon or two of ammonia in a container. Take a Q-tip and soak the Q-tip. Then take the Qtip, dab the coin so the surface of the coin is wet and start cleaning the penny. Keep rotating the qtip to check if the tip is getting dirty. Once it gets dirty you have to get a new one and repeat.
You want to start "scrubbing" very gently at first and see how the coin responds. Sometimes you have to just gently go over the coin and other times it requires several qtip vigourous scrubs. Then rinse and soak a day with olive oil.

Once you have done this with a wheat penny or two you will feel a bit more confident with the method. Some IH's don't take to this method but those are usually the ones that are crappy anyway.Bob... I would like to add that the nice green patina will come off on the q-tip if you rub too aggressively so just go easy and use LOTS of q-tips. Have fun,Jerry

madmacabre

Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
I think the hydrogen peroxide method would work as well , although it may darkin the color of the coin. Thanks for the amonia tip Ill try that sometime.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on pulling up another Indian--and a beautiful one at that.

Your photos are excellent--I love the nature ones. I try to include some shots of nature as well in my posts too--because I think we get a little too focused on finds sometimes...since I live in a city--nature is one of the big reasons I do what I do.

:thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pics and nice finds. That injun cleaned up real nicely. Our sweet williams finished up last week. You must be near Michigan :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures and an awesome find, Jerry!

Nana :)

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
crazyjarhead said:
Nice pics and nice finds. That injun cleaned up real nicely. Our sweet williams finished up last week. You must be near Michigan :thumbsup:
This was one of the last sweet williams standing so that's one of the reasons i took the picture.I'm on the eastern border of Ohio and i think the sweet williams are one of the highlights of our spring,and the trilliums and of course the flowering crab apple..hmmm did i mention the dogwood ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread