A few silver dimes, old lock, HUGE button (?) silver spoon odds and ends...

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
Well it's been awhile since I posted on here. I haven't been getting out much, just a couple of times and really haven't found much until just recently. These pics are from 2 hunts in the past week...a couple of hrs at an old school and about 1 1/2 hrs at a local city park. The park I have hit in the past and every time I go there I find something decent...have found silver coins there before, old wheat pennies, an old ring etc. The school was my first time there. As you can see from the pics I found an old padlock, some kind of Sunoco token that shows an old car on it. Those two finds and some clad came from the school. Everything else came from the park. 3 Silver dimes 1963 and 51 Rosie and a 1943 Merc. The BIG button or whatever it is...pretty cool though! Any info. on it would be greatly appreciated! Also found a 1910 wheat! It's kinda strange, I've found LOTS of wheats from the 1910's and 1920's here but my oldest silver I ever got here was a 1941. The spoon is silver...says sterling on it. The small gold colored pendant (earring?) is stamped but it's so small I can't read it even with a magnifying glass. The small silver pendant (earring?) says 925 on the back and looks pretty old. I know the nickles aren't silver or anything but I thought they were cool because they're old like me...haha! Ones a 1942 and the other a 1946. Anyway, thanks for looking and enjoy the pics...
CIMG0741.jpg

CIMG0742.jpg

CIMG0743.jpg

CIMG0744.jpg

CIMG0751.jpg

CIMG0752.jpg

CIMG0754.jpg

CIMG0755.jpg

CIMG0759.jpg

Upvote 0

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Nice finds. I like the button- I would guess that it is a two-piece button (with an iron back) from the early 1900's. I have found a button of similar size with a rusty iron back from the 1920's. Is that Sunoco token silver?

~DG

OP
OP
MetalFury

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
Thank you for the info. on the button. I think it is upside down though in the pic. I took...lol It looks kinda like a shield or something. The Sunoco token isn't silver...seems like aluminum or something? Not really sure but it's VERY lightweight...

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
MetalFury said:
Just bumping this up to see if anyone can help me i.d. the big button...thanks!

The button looks like it was from a rowing club. My best guess would be early 20th century. They used to pop up around "Boat House Row" near Fairmont Park in Philadelphia when detecting was allowed there.

The token looks like it is a tin token. I don't know much about them, but I found one from a fire company which was in existence in the early 20th century. The problem with tin is that it breaks down very rapidly in cold temperatures. Be careful with it and dont try to clean it, as it may fall apart on you. The one I found says "West Collingswood Fire Company", and was badly corroded from years of cold winters of the Northeast. What does your's say on it?

Nice finds!

OP
OP
MetalFury

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
One side says "Sunoco Antique Car Coin Series 1" and the other side (side pictured) says "Daniels Town Brougham 1922"

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bunch'a great keepers there, Fury! Are you sure that '42 nickel isn't silver? Don't know anything on the button. Sorry. :-\ But it's a good'un! :wink:

Congrats on those finds! Nana :)

OP
OP
MetalFury

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
Thanks for the info. all! And Nana you are correct, it is silver! I didn't even notice the mint mark on it but I just checked and it has an S mint mark...made me VERY happy as it's only the 3rd silver nickel I've ever found...

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread