Crime Weapon???

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
This morning I hit a couple of tot lots, just because the digging is easy. It is awful dry here and the gorund is mucho hard in most places. Just found the usual clad in the tot lots. Before the calling it a day and hitting the shade, I decided to stop at a local boat ramp and search the receded water line a little while. The lake water level is down dramactically and has reced about 30 feeet from normal. The third target signal I received indicated a quarter on the X-70 but the target sounded too big. Anyway, I decided to dig. Well, upon uncovering the target at about seven inches, I realized that it was a handgun. I carefully retrieved it from the hole with as little handling as possible and put it in a plastic bag. I then set off in an attempt to locate a police officer. I located a deputy sheriff and told the story to him. He said the gun was a Lorcin 380, I don't know nothing about guns. He took some information from me, asked me to return with him to the lake and show him where it was found, which I did. He took photos and measurements and said it would be turned over to the crime unit.

That's another gun off the streets and away from children.

Hope everyone of you had a good day today!! HH

FL Junkman

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did he say anything like you could have it back if it is not crime evidence or no one claims it?

OP
OP
FL Junkman

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
The deputy said that if they could not link it to a crime, they may be contacting me to see if I wanted it but I told him, No Thanks. No telling how long it has been in the lake. As I said it was in the sand about 7 inches and is probably rusted internally. I would highly suspect it was involved in a crime and that's the reason it was tossed in the lake, however the sheriff's department may not be able to link it but I hope for the best.

FL Junkman

smokedaddy

Mar 4, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum / Fisher 1266X / Minelab Sovereign Elite/ Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You Did The Right Thing. :thumbsup:

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you knew about guns, you'd know Lorcin enjoys the same reputation as "Made in China" metal detectors. It may not have been thrown in the lake to hide the evidence, but instead was deep sixed in disgust over it's continuous malfunctioning.
Don't laugh; I know a guy who owned a Raven (a sister brand to Lorcin, and with about the same "quality") and after about the fifth malfunction of the 7 round magazine unloaded it, got a big ball peen hammer from his truck and beat it into scrap in frustration.

The gun probably didn't work *before* it went into the water. I can't see immersion improving that any.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yup, the Lorcin .380 probably fall into the category of Saturday Nite Special!

Probably did the right thing turning it in...

Only took a crimefighter and cruiser @ $135/hr off the streets for an hour or two, it will be logged and documented in the crime lab, stored in the evidence room for a number of years at more expense.
Then it will be sent to the scrap yard in a big publicity campaign about getting guns off the streets.

But who knows?
After rusting and corroding in the grit and water it could have provided inconclusive evidence in a case of violence in which another puke gets off the hook.

My guess is some bozo dropped it who was gonna use it to dispatch an ugly old catfish, or maybe pop at the ducks on the back side of the lake.

Thanks for posting!
I enjoyed reading the story....

HH
Recovers Many Pull Tab Relics

OP
OP
FL Junkman

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Yeah, I have learned a little about the Lorcin brand today. The deputy told me it was a cheapo, probably about a $100 piece. One interesting item I found on the internet said that the Lorcin 380 pistol regularly tops the list of all guns traced to crimes by the ATF. So apparently it's a Saturday Night Special!

FL Junkman

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Yep Lorcin 380 is a crap gun used by most thugs in the inner city to rob and shoot up other gang members. We have a pond in our city that is a regular drop off point for these types of weapons. Like you say, another gun off the streets that pose not only a threat to the general citizen, but to the police officers that confront these on a daily basis. Good job on the find and giving it to the police. They should give you something from a gun buy back if your town ever holds these types of events. Maybe 25 bucks for Walmart or something. HH jgas

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Just wondering why people keep saying that you got another gun off the streets??? If it was a crap malfunctioning gun to begin with and appeared to have been abandonned, rusted beyond function, let alone malfunctional, how could you have been the one to take it off the street? Good job turning it in because in all likelihood it was a sat night special used in a crime and if they can do anything with it, they should, and will, no matter the cost of storage, analysis etc...but the chances of them getting any useful evidence out of it aren't good.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you know that gun deaths are something like 10th on the list for killing kids under the age of 13? I think that the actual percentage number is under 1% of the total deaths, very miniscule. The real killers of young kids are bicycles and swimming pools.

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 , Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Explorer SE
LOL LOL LOL

I personally know the former owner of the Lorcin company.
I see him all the time.
The funny thing is one day he was wearing a Lorcin jacket and I told him I had one of those and it was junk. He then proceeded to tell me all about how he started the company and all kinds of stories about law suits and stuff. Even he calls them junk. But in the 10 years or so they were in business he made about $30 million! Not bad for junk.

Just thought I would share!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I went to a range a few years ago there was a sign that said our gun smith will not work on the following: Raven, Lorcin, and I believe Jennings. One person that met up with us there had a Lorcin, the first time he fired it pieces of the garbage fell out of it, it didn't fire a second time. Junk guns are a danger to the owner (for real), not worth risking your life for. If you need or have to have a firearm buy quality. Please learn how to use it so there are no accidents.

I think it would be neat to find a firearm but something old that you can put on your wall.

You did the right thing giving it to the police. Thank God that some child didn't find it when it was in better condition and possibly hurt himself or someone else. The person that tossed it was a complete idiot; no regard for innocent people. That brings up another point; I can't believe all of the ammo that everyone finds in the playgrounds.

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Many years ago, they drained down a lake here in Forest Park that was a favorite ditching spot for thugs. I wasn't purposly looking for guns in the mud, but found 3 anyway.... a .38 S&W, .45 semi, and a Raven saturday nite special with a full clip in it. All 3 guns were rotted beyond use or untraceable due to the barrel rifling pitted and no serial numbers. I showed them to a St. Louis police officer and he just said to throw them out, they didn't want them. I cleaned them up and kept them... they still look neat. I work as a mechanic and a couple days ago a shop up the street had a kid get shot in the shoulder by a lorcin that was stashed under the dashboard of an abandoned car he was scrapping out... sucks - that was probably the only time that gun fired instead of jamming ;D Ah, life in the big city........ HH, Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions