Lost St. Christopher

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
Yesterday afternoon I walked down to the school to hit another section of playground. After 1 1/2- 2 hours I had found only a few coins and the usual trash items. I headed home about 8:30 and while walking past a neighbor's house, a guy asked me if I could help him look for a St. Christopher on a chain that he had lost several weeks ago after getting "a little plowed". He had no idea of where he had lost it but welcomed me to search the lawn and said I could keep any coins I found. I put the Ace 250 in jewelry mode and turned the sensitivity way down, thinking I wouldn't confuse myself with deep items since I was simply looking for the necklace. I swung quickly but evenly, thinking that if it was there in the grass it should register pretty easily. What I found was simply amazing to me. This house has been a party house, off and on for 15 years that I know of and it must have been a rule to empty your pockets in the yard before coming in. I haven't been md'g very long so I have few places to compare but I was getting strong very solid coin hits it seemed like every 2 feet! I didn't dig any of them because I was looking for the necklace but I even found several coins just parting the grass, looking for the necklace. I didn't have time before dark to scan the last section of the front yard and the back and side yards are untouched. I found no necklace but plan to head back and look some more. This house was built in about 1920 and there could be some good stuff along with all the obvious clad. I figure that if I find the necklace, I should have run of the place. If I find it I'll post an update. Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's.
Idaho PRB

Upvote 0

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Way to go, Idaho! Let us know if you turn up St. Chris, and be sure to get back there and dig up those coins! Sounds like a great spot for sure!

Keep us posted!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a tun o fun! I look forward to seeing your posts.Good luck.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to think about checking/digging those signals that show 2 inches or so because,

the 250 is known to see targets that are laying on top of the ground, but read them as being buried at 2 or more inches.

You may have skipped rgt over it while putting too much trust in the ID meter.

It's not 100% accurate (far from it for coins/etc. laying on top of the ground).

Good luck,

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Lonewolf, Everything that fell in the range between bronze and pennys, I physically knelt down and combed through the grass. Not saying I didnt miss it because that is certainly possible. I was pushed for time too and intend on being more careful next time (Possibly Today!) that is if I can steal the time from the system.....it is Father's Day. Thanks for the input.
Idaho PRB

S

SD MUDDOG

Lonewolf is right on the money about the ACE250. I have repeatedly encountered coins showing up at 2" but they are right on top or close to. The way I look at it now is whenever the ACE250 registers a target at EXACTLY 2" only, then I interpret that as 2" or less. I have also noticed that the ACE 250's target ID jumps around alot when any tipe of jewelry is detected. Think its a Hyper Active detector :o. Good luck in your search for the Saint.

OP
OP
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
"I have also noticed that the ACE 250's target ID jumps around alot when any tipe of jewelry is detected." Quote

That really makes it tough to weed out "Junk" when I'm told that one of the clues to "Junk" signals is when the target ID jumps around. I guess it just boils down to paying as much attention as possible to the tones and target ID, then digging and noting the find. All in good time, I'm sure. If it was a guarantee that all targets were good ones then it wouldn't be treasure "Hunting". Thank you all for sharing your experience with a newcomer to your sport.
Idaho PRB

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
I really hope you find that St Christopher necklace. I can't imagine how you were able to pass all those coins. Best of luck, can't wait to see your finds.

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

OP
OP
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
I actually went back to the yard yesterday evening to hit the one section of front yard that I was unable to the day before and no necklace. I did dig one target and found that the grass needs water badly. The plug I cut just crumbled apart.I dont want to leave a bunch of plugs that won't recover well so I will ask them to soak it well before I come back. I rang the doorbell and no one was home, so I will have to wait until I can make contact with them and get some water on that lawn. It's not going anywhere in the meantime. I also received permission from my next door neighbor to detect in her lawn (Also a 1920's era house) she wants 50%. I guess she can have 50% face value and I will decide which coins to show. In fact she can have all the clad. I'll update when we get some water on that yard.
Idaho PRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread