Beautiful Heart Heel Plate NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
My friend and I hit a 1700's cellar hole on a friends property in town. This is the second time we have been there. The first time was a bust. Last week I scouted around a bit and found where they did their gardens and farming across the path from the house. We went back yesterday for a few hours. I hunted what appeared to be a trail where they accessed the field (now all woods). There were the remains of wagon ruts but you really had to look to see them. Anyway I got a fantastic 12gauge shot shell signal and was less than excited to dig it. About 6 inches down came a lovely heart heel plate. I have never found one and only dreamed of beautiful ones they find in Virginia and South. I should have put a quarter next to the photo for size. This one is exactly the diameter of a Morgan silver dollar and only the tips extend beyond it by 1/8". This is a very small one. I wonder if this one was on it's way to the Civil War on the bottom of someone's shoe. Anyways I thought that I would share it with you. I'm a quite pleased with this find 8)

Ed-

Attachments

• Dsc04060.jpg
    Dsc04060.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 791
  • Dsc04062.jpg
    Dsc04062.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 852
Upvote 8
OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
BuckleBoy said:
Cool find! Here's one I found back in March:

I've seen the heart shape before--as well as the clover cut-out...but the star was a new one to me...

Since these have been found in CW camps before, some folks associate them a little too strongly with the CW. They were not issued to troops, but rather were a civilian item--even though some obviously went into battle on soldiers' boots.

I love seeing these posted--thank you for putting this one on the forum.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Hi buckleboy and congrats on the star. I've seen them only in pictures. Your's is a beautiful speciman. Funny how those things wind up most anywhere. I know of a friend here in NH who found a nice heart one and it was like twice the size of mine!

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Thank You

Hi all and thank you for all your wonderful replies. Your added info was great to have. This has been a good topic and a great find. Always happy to share in the fun 8)

Ed-

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that is a heel plate to a old pistol not a shoe or boot.i found a clover one that was very old.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pigeonman said:
that is a heel plate to a old pistol not a shoe or boot.i found a clover one that was very old.

Um...

Heel Plate.jpg

10. Top of Shoe
11, 12, 60. Bottom of Shoe

20, 40, 41, 43, 45. Shoe

13, 30A, 50 = HEEL PLATE~!

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
pigeonman said:

That is interesting I've never seen one. Do you have any pictures of one of them in place on a pistol? I would love to see it.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you look at my post youll see it has 5 holes around the heart, ..strange, i guess different versions were made for different sizes. wish I had a date estimate.

Pro-

Attachments

• plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 199
  • plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 194

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Larr dug a clover one out of the store this weekend and one about a yr ago I belive it is a heel plate I dug one that was just solid about 2 mnths ago

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info here,, just dug a 1 1/2 heart plate last night...

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Worm Slicer, I'm in Ohio and found the clover heel plate last year...did anyone mention the supposed rumored use of the heart shaped ladies heel plate? Ddf.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread & nice find, I found mine in December 18 on a permission that G.A.P.metal has that we were hunting. Mine still has part of the leather heal attached, not the best picture 20181229_101228 (1).jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relic will be a nice addition to your collection Well done. Tommy

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's mine. Cent. IL find. No military anything around here. Woman's shoe plate. Mine is marked "1 1/8" so they came in different sizes. Gary

DSC09303.JPG

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great relic find Ed. I would love to dig a Heel Plate with any of the designs in it.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one I dug a couple days ago metal detecting the edge of sidewalk by our post office, looks to have bin plated, didnt think much of it till I read about the " ladies of the night " wearing these now I think they are awesome..:cat:

20190721_100549[1].jpg 20190721_100558[1].jpg

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the finds may be few and far between but there is stuff there... you might have to hit the site repeatedly and stuff will turn up. Dig everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread