Real Confederate Buckle or Fake?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real?? Maybe....

dug? looks like it!

HH

Lonewolfe

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Looks more like something off a horse bridle. A lot of martingales were heart shaped although I don't recall having seen a square one like that.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
I agree with the horse martingale or other item. Here is a horse bridle rosette I found this spring, which looks very similar...Lance

Attachments

• Heart Horse Bridle Rosette.jpg
    Heart Horse Bridle Rosette.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Heart Horse Bridle Rosette.jpg
    Heart Horse Bridle Rosette.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 842
OP
OP
F

floatcopper

Thanks to all. I got mine cheap $12 so no big deal.

I haven't received it yet but when I do I'm going to try to find out exactly what these are and when they were made.

If they are Confederate era (I doubt it) they are a tremendous bargin.

T

T-Rex

It is Confederate, it's a bedroll buckle

I have two of them in my collection...

T

T-Rex

bakergeol said:
Yes the last two guys are correct. In the past you see a lot of these sold as buckles. It may not even be CW period. Here is one that did not sell on E-Bay(looks like yours).Notice the horse harness comments on a question at the bottom.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=103995&item=6537976787&rd=1
George

This was originally produced as part of a harness, however due to the ultimate utter lack of resources in the south it was used predominately as a soilders bedroll buckle. This was one of the milder conversions... i.e., if you wanted a cup of coffee you got parched corn juice... :-[

The ebay item looks like it could be a repro as it looks to be be too clean and in too good of condition to be original...

OP
OP
F

floatcopper

T-Rex said:
bakergeol said:
Yes the last two guys are correct. In the past you see a lot of these sold as buckles. It may not even be CW period. Here is one that did not sell on E-Bay(looks like yours).Notice the horse harness comments on a question at the bottom.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=103995&item=6537976787&rd=1
George

This was originally produced as part of a harness, however due to the ultimate utter lack of resources in the south it was used predominately as a soilders bedroll buckle.? This was one of the milder conversions... i.e., if you wanted a cup of coffee you got parched corn juice...? :-[

The ebay item looks like it could be a repro as it looks to be be too clean and in too good of condition to be original...

One problem I'm having is finding any record of anyone making reproductions of these. Perhaps someone did repros in say the early 20th century or later?

If anyone knows someone who can check my buckle for authenticity, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent help.

T

T-Rex

I know there were "alot" of repro's produced during the early 60's (centennial anniversary of the CW)

It's big business these days as fakes are pouring in from China like crazy... they have got it down to a science artificially aging items to look so good it fools practically everyone but the most educated experts. Use common sense if it looks too good to be true, it probably is...

ebay is absolutely encrusted with this... check out this link for more info:

http://www.civilwardealers.com/fakes/Default.htm

OP
OP
F

floatcopper

T-Rex said:
I know there were "alot" of repro's produced during the early 60's (centennial anniversary of the CW)

It's big business these days as fakes are pouring in from China like crazy... they have got it down to a science artificially aging items to look so good it fools practically everyone but the most educated experts.? Use common sense if it looks too good to be true, it probably is...

ebay is absolutely encrusted with this... check out this link for more info:

? ? ?http://www.civilwardealers.com/fakes/Default.htm

WOW! :o Thanks much, T-Rex! It's really funny but I was watching an auction this very week that was offering that Confederate Belt Buckle with the bullet in it. I didn't follow the action to the end but the last I saw it was up to nearly $100.

Ebay fraud is really fierce. Several years ago I purchased an "original" watercolor for $130 and it turned out to be a $10 fake! I would guess I've lost nearly $500 on ebay to cons. However, I also took chances and won big so I've about broken even.

I guess it's all like you say, common sense and a heap of knowledge doesn't hurt either.

One more question: Where can I buy REAL Confederate artifacts? Are there any true dealers?

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
By the way. Here is a picture of what the harness would look like when it was all together....Lance

Attachments

• heart rosette on bridal 2.JPG
    heart rosette on bridal 2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 834

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Here is a photo of one I purchased at a yard sale along with some other old stuff.I don't know if its real,but it excellant shape makes me ponder!

Attachments

• MVC-038S.JPG
    MVC-038S.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 792
OP
OP
F

floatcopper

downindixie said:
Here is a photo of one I purchased at a yard sale along with some other old stuff.I don't know if its real,but it excellant shape makes me ponder!

This has really got me wondering??? Are our "relics" original or repos?

If you find out anything please let the rest of us know. When I recieve my buckle from the ebay seller I'll try to have it checked. These don't show on any FAKE online site that I know of.

Thanks

T

T-Rex

floatcopper said:
downindixie said:

This has really got me wondering???? Are our "relics" original or repos?

If you find out anything please let the rest of us know. When I recieve my buckle from the ebay seller I'll try to have it checked. These don't show on any FAKE online site that I know of.

Thanks

that's because it would not be profitable enough... everyone wants elaborate state seals, buttons, buckles... that's a relatively common piece that would not command the price of say a South Carolina Palmetto or similar...

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
I have been digging around a trash pit from the 1840?s to the 1940?s along the Mexican / Texas border.

I found one lust like the one you posted. I found it among several Border Wars / WWI 1910?s ? 1920?s buttons from the US Calvary. This was the large collar buttons you see on WWI uniforms.

My guess is that it is very early 1900?s but no later than 1918.

I am not an expert, just comparing it to what I found and what was around the one I found from a trash pit.

It was a thrill to find one. It is a real show piece for anyone to have.

Congratulations.

SW

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
I found one a few months ago that I think is identical to yours. It's a little damaged and I just threw it in the junk bucket thinking it was trash... I can post a pic if you are interested.

OP
OP
F

floatcopper

SugarSand said:
I found one a few months ago that I think is identical to yours.? It's a little damaged and I just threw it in the junk bucket thinking it was trash...? I can post a pic if you are interested.

Sure, please do post your picture.

Was it deep? What else did you find with it?

I've also thrown great things away not knowing what they were.

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Here is the picture of mine, its around 2" by 1 3/4".? I found this at the same house where I dug the things in my first post or two if you want to look it up.? 1849 French coin, Indian head, and many things lost in the early to mid 1900's or so.? This was probably 3 to 6 inches deep, I don't remember.? Yours looks a lot better than mine!

Attachments

• buckle-front.JPG
    buckle-front.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 869
  • buckle-back.JPG
    buckle-back.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 877
T

T-Rex

Not sure where my better one went... but here's the one I have that is partially broken...

Attachments

• heart-buckle.jpg
    heart-buckle.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 529

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread