robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Detectingfreak said:
thats pretty cool! How can you guys always tell what year they are? :icon_scratch:
Hello , look at 12 o'clock on the reverse side of the coin,you can just see the date well at least 16. 96 is on the other side of the bend.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unusual to have so much detail on a love token!

At this time of year, I would call this a good nights haul! :)

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
CRUSADER said:
Unusual to have so much detail on a love token!

At this time of year, I would call this a good nights haul! :)
Silver coins from that period of English history tend to show lots of wear, non more so than the humble sixpence. Englands constant state of war was expensive and silver was scarce. Once every blue moon though you can find a nice William 111 sixpence.

Attachments

• today 088.jpg
    today 088.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 417
  • today 087.jpg
    today 087.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 421
  • today 086.jpg
    today 086.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 423
  • today 085.jpg
    today 085.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 428

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
why the bending -- what about bending it made it a love token? the fact is could not be spent if bent? just wondering

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
ivan salis said:
why the bending -- what about bending it made it a love token? the fact is could not be spent if bent? just wondering
To the average person in those days sixpence would not be a small amount. Perhaps bending the coin before giving it to your loved one showed that you valued them above money. After all "money can't buy you love" or so the saying goes.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver! I also found one in Colchester bent into a love token, also 1696. HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
ivan salis said:
To the average person in those days sixpence would not be a small amount. Perhaps bending the coin before giving it to your loved one showed that you valued them above money. After all "money can't buy you love" or so the saying goes.

I was also lead to believe the bent coin was tossed aside in one of their favourite 'love spots'. Never to be found again! (same thinking behind it, ie. 'I give up my silver above your love')

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
ivan salis said:

I was also lead to believe the bent coin was tossed aside in one of their favourite 'love spots'. Never to be found again! (same thinking behind it, ie. 'I give up my silver above your love')
This all getting very romantic. Found two more hiding in a box in the garage this aft. Perhaps the guy who made the one from a copper halfpenny was a bit more pragmatic !

Attachments

• today 090.jpg
    today 090.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 227
  • today 089.jpg
    today 089.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 259

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
ivan salis said:

This all getting very romantic. Found two more hiding in a box in the garage this aft. Perhaps the guy who made the one from a copper halfpenny was a bit more pragmatic !

Yeah, had a few copper versions - for the poor

Lee43

Oct 29, 2006
East central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
I got a SixPence Love Token on my trip over last march, it was dated 1692, still have not got everything from there hoping things will show up around the first of July. I did not get any treasures so I should get everything I dug. By the way.....Congrats on a Great Find. Had a wonderful time, going back next March.............................Lee

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Lee43 said:
I got a SixPence Love Token on my trip over last march, it was dated 1692, still have not got everything from there hoping things will show up around the first of July. I did not get any treasures so I should get everything I dug. By the way.....Congrats on a Great Find. Had a wonderful time, going back next March.............................Lee
Have a good time in England Lee, hope you find plenty !.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I found 2 sixpences bent at a 90 deg angle as part of the first scattered cache of hammered coins I dug a few years ago. I've heard many theories as to what these were, but a love token seems to be the most likely possibility. Cool find!

hammered1.jpg

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, good work!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 2 sixpences bent at a 90 deg angle as part of the first scattered cache of hammered coins I dug a few years ago. I've heard many theories as to what these were, but a love token seems to be the most likely possibility. Cool find!

View attachment 1088307

That doesn't follow the English traditional love token. Its got to be bent twice in 2 different directions. (although being early examples, maybe it developed from this)

I think it more likely the bent ones down the middle to check for silver clad copper fakes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread