My Fathers Day Hunt... not too bad!

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
My Father's Day Hunt... not too bad!

Went to a place that the owner told me was hunted before. He said that the guy who detected there told him he didn't find anything, so I shouldn't expect very much. I figured this property owner got taken by the dude, but now I wonder if the guy really didn't find anything and didn't know what he was doing???

The Liberty "V" nickel obvers is in decent shape because it had a 1941 wheat penny stuck to the top of it when it came out of the hole. The reverse is worn from years of being in the dirt, but it is still an awesome find! The Merc has a nice little ding, but these are one of my most favorite coins of all time, so I'll take 'em any chance I get!

Hope everyone had a chance to get out this weekend!

Attachments

• 061905finds.jpg
    061905finds.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Father's Day Hunt... not too bad!

Nice digs!

Looks like the dude who did it before didn't know what he was talking about/doing!!

HH

Lonewolfe

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound

Nice finds. Doesn't look like the spot is hunted out! I'd try and hit it again.

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
B

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

Thanks everyone!

I honestly don't think the guy looked very hard, or just plain didn't know what he was doing. The area where the ballfield was is pretty quite as far as signals go, so maybe he only hit that post. The area these came from was behind the concession area and by a large concrete pad where the picnic tables were set up. I still have quite a bit of land to cover here, so I will be going back. Only problem is the horseflies are horrible, and there is almost zero shade. This is an early morning or late evening place to hunt on these warm summer days. Plus we could use a little rain to make the digging go easier!

Happy Hunting!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds for a "searched out" area. Congrats!! HH

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Way to go beetle. That's cool you still persevered and hit the spot anyways. What do you mean those nickles in tremendous shape compared to the one's I get. Did you tumble them. If your able to hunt the site again go and dig the garbage so you can get the relics. But if it was a one time thing then you did good by cherry picking it.

HH Jeremy

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice V nickel, Merc ain't too bad either, WTG!

OP
OP
B

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

I should have let you all know:

I used the "Nic-A-Lene" and "Nic-A-Brush" cleaner on the nickels. They were dark bron, and I could tell that the "V" obverse was in pretty decent shape even then. But I thought, what the hey... they are my coins to enjoy, and even though the "Nic-A-" stuff is supposed to be safe to use, I cleaned them up anyway. I used some "Nic-A-Date" on the buff and as far as I can tell, it is a 1916. I'm gonna give it a little more effort later tonight.

Honestly, there wasn't that much trash to contend with. Out of the 4 solid nickel signals I got, only two turned out to be old pulltabs. A solid dime hit turned out to be a coiled piece of copper wire. I dug a trigger mechanism (probably from a cap gun... pretty small) that rang a solid quarter hit. Other than that, the trash was pretty good. I had the Ace 250 running about 3/4 sensitivity and in coins mode.

I am pleased to say the least, and WILL be getting back out there later this week I hope!

Thanks everyone!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great going beetle ! Your onto a good site!

E

Einstein

im thinking that if there ever was a kid out there hunting before you he either swung too high or he only pulled up the surface junk and left all the older ones for you. Maybe he had a crap radio shack $15 detector... Great finds and good luck, I bet you get a few silver next time!

T

T-Rex

maybe he was doing some weed-eating... :D

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

I'm glad you didn't listen to what others said and found out yourself....real nice job....... :)

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

OP
OP
B

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

I tend to believe that a place is never really hunted out to begin with. There is just so much area to hunt here, not to mention the fact of the other detector and the user. Like you all have said, who knows what or how this guy was swinging. He could have had a $1300 machine, but didn't know how to use it. I've seen that a lot of times.

Thanks for the kind words folks. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Tomorrow I'm hunting a single shell casing for a murder casse we are working. My "funtime" hunting will be at a minimum this week.

See ya'll!

T

T-Rex

beetle662 said:
I tend to believe that a place is never really hunted out to begin with. There is just so much area to hunt here, not to mention the fact of the other detector and the user. Like you all have said, who knows what or how this guy was swinging. He could have had a $1300 machine, but didn't know how to use it. I've seen that a lot of times.

Thanks for the kind words folks. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Tomorrow I'm hunting a single shell casing for a murder casse we are working. My "funtime" hunting will be at a minimum this week.

See ya'll!

You looking for clues to that murder in Campbell County where the wife allegedly shot her husband?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread