cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok our day out around 7:30 a.m. we headed out to a cw site that has given us promising finds in the past. But NOTHING like it gave us today. So we get there unpack all our gear and head out to the site. There is an old wagon trail that runs through the property and we never hot that area b4 so we said why not and hit it up, infortunally we were not finding anything but bottle caps,and odd pieces of iron. We didnt have very long as I had to be at work at 4 and others had things they had to do as well plus we were about and hour away from home. So we dodnt want to waste a whole lot of time.

So after not finding anything but junk ::) we headed back out to the original spot that we have hunted now 2x. Starting getting iffy signals deep last time we dug some frag shells out at 12+ inches but now didnt find anything but a few 22 bullets "them damn things are everywhere" and some old pistol shot. Then one of the guys gets a signal DEEP And for all you non beliveing Ace 250 believers out there this hole when we where done was DEEP I myself am 6' 5" and I could stand in the hole and you couldnt see me from my waste down. Everytime we dug we would use all of our detectors to how deep it was then and it would be another 6" so we would dig 6" and it would say another 8" never did find out what it was "broke 2 shovels in that hole" but it read between iron and $1.

So thinking that we had wasted to much time on that hole we decided to mark the spot until next time and redig when we had better equipment. So I headed to a new area over the top of some hills and I had a hunch that something was there, and boy was I right. We coming over the hill you could see the depresions in the ground and teh earthworks they ran along side a swampy pond way back in the woods. So I called my buddies over there b4 I even started detecting. As soon as we hit this area IRON signals everywhere within 5 minutes of being there Dragon6banger dug a nice Horse Shoe at only about 5"inches and then right after dug what looks like the back of some sort of ball ??? :-\

Well I hadnt found anything of course except for the usual "22 bullets" and then I got a good strong signal dug down and heard that sound of metal. And there she laid perfectly intact. (NOW INERT) I was so happy I started shaking,lol. I could not belive what I had just dug out the ground. The boys said I holered so loud that thought I got bit by a snake. A perfect 6 pounder. I was as excited as I have ever been in my entire life, I had to sit down and smoke a cig to calm my nerves. Well Then I told them I was done for the day and while wacthing Just1man dig a pretty spike out I swug around a little and damn if I didnt get a beutiful 3 ringer right behind the ball.

We poked around for a little bit more and then decided that it was time to go. So we packed up and headed back. And stopped by my grandfathers house that has been cw relic hunting for years and he dufused the ball. He has been doing it so long and has so many I take it he knows what he is doing. He still has it now he said it would take a couple of days. We will be going back to that spot again probaly the middle of next week. So until then I appreciate everyone looking and keep digging and one day you will find that relic that makes your heart beat 100mph from excitement.

Thanks and HH to all

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,207
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,224
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,231
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,211
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,231
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,256
Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I FINALLY DID IT!!!!!! SOMETHING WORTH FINDING!!!!!AWSOME CW DAY

Bravo! That's a HELLUVA FIND. :thumbsup:

csa-digger

May 2, 2008
Garner, nc
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250, garrett GTI 2500, tesoro tejon
Re: I FINALLY DID IT!!!!!! SOMETHING WORTH FINDING!!!!!AWSOME CW DAY

yeah we had a good day out there

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG! That is a cool find! Were ya'll near G-boro again?
Mike :thumbsup:

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super nice find. Only problem is now you need to get it disarmed and that might be a bit difficult. Congradulations on your 12 pounder.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope grandpa is careful with that one...nice relic! That's why I prefer the cannonballs from my area...nothing but solid iron...no Boom Boom!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cannon ball! Be careful with it. HH, Mike

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Congrats on your outstanding find! That is one thing that I will probably never have the luxury of finding here in NH. I bet you were some excited to see that baby in the hole ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My hat's off to ya :thumbsup: Excellent Recovery!!!

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
yeah he has a nice 12 pounder and i get the back end of a parrot but in all it was my first so im happy now if i can just find the other half.. we could have done better if we had'nt been digging a ghost target. but we will be there next week and im gonna get me one.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you were down a few feet finding that one. Congrats. on that and the other beautiful finds. Looks like you found a civil war camp :thumbsup:

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
romeo-1 said:
I hope grandpa is careful with that one...nice relic! That's why I prefer the cannonballs from my area...nothing but solid iron...no Boom Boom!
I agree I would have prefered one that did not go boom boom either a soild would have been nice but he has disarmed many b4 and he lives wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out in the country.

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
brnn53 said:
WTG! That is a cool find! Were ya'll near G-boro again?
Mike :thumbsup:

No we were near Blounts Creek in the Pamlico Bay got some permission for a promising hunt there 2 or 3 months ago, we had heard that there was a brass cannon buried there during the revy war.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That was deep!! :o Congrats!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Wow, be very, very careful with that thing. Don't forget that very experienced dude down south that had one of those blow up in his face a few months ago...and he knew what he was doing. Your lucky it didn't explode when you hit it with the digger. When you drill it, keep the bit cold and wet and make sure it's one that won't spark.

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Skrimpy said:
Wow, be very, very careful with that thing. Don't forget that very experienced dude down south that had one of those blow up in his face a few months ago...and he knew what he was doing. Your lucky it didn't explode when you hit it with the digger. When you drill it, keep the bit cold and wet and make sure it's one that won't spark.

Yea I remember that story, but again I am not drilling it. I dont think it would explode by a shovel hit unless you put all your weight on it and really jumped directly on the fuse. Think of all the people in the world that have dug balls and none have ever exploded when they dug only when the idiots thried to drill it with a drill press. I am just happy I found it :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread