A Slow Weekend

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey guys what's up. Got out to test some spots this weekend. I had alot higher hopes for these spots but the grass is 4 ft high every where. That makes it tougher to hunt. I found this really old site. I don't know the age but it had a well with a big metal pulley looking thing that went all the way down to the water. It had a big creek that flowed right next to it. It also had a fence with the old wooden post made of tree's. Two giant tree's to protect where the house stood. They did that way back. They would built the house between 2 giant tree's for protection. Usually pines but it varies depending on what's around.

When looking for old sites or even a site you may think had a house at one time always look for the 2 big tree's. They will look out of place. They will be the biggest tree's around.

We had minimal luck at this spot. Lance found 1 1919 wheat. We could only cover about half the site due to the growth. It appeared hit already due to the fact that every target I dug was a foot deep.

I had another house site lined up to hit on sunday. It was abandoned. Wasn't real old maybe the 20's or 30's. It to was heavily grown in. I found about 4 or 5 clad coins. Lance found a nice Jesus money clip.

We decided it was to slow and grown in to hunt. We also seen remnants of holes dug there already. We went down the hill a few miles to where I know of a old swimming hole. There is also a railroad camp in these woods. There is a building still standing with about 8 or ten small cellar holes around it. Can't seem to find anything around this camp due to the ton of trash. Even as good as I am I can't pick a coin out of it. If there's something there it would be alot of work removing trash.

Looks like a great site but all I have been able to pull out of it was a thimble. I know that it's old because a friend of mine found a 2 cent piece down by the creek next to the place.

If I had a underwater detector I know there's finds in the deeper pockets. We found old coins along the edges where they would jump off into the water. This place likes to flood out from time to time and throw that creek sand all over the place. So I will go and hit it every so many months.

Other than that it was slow down there. Way to grown in. Me my son and brother caught a few frogs and just explored the place more. We crossed over the creek to some worn out path area's. As soon as I walked up I found a wheat a 46. After a while I got a slight chirp of the tone i.d and was able to pick this 1926 D merc standing straight up in the ground mixed in this rocky terrain. We walked the area a ton. It took the right direction to hit this coin along with the proper sweep speed to find it.

Sorry it's so long. I haven't done alot of work here on the site lately. I figured if I'm not finding alot I can leave tips for other's instead.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• A Slow Weekend.jpg
    A Slow Weekend.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal, sounds like you guys had an adventure!

HH

Lonewolfe

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always jer i like your very descriptive story chock full of tips,thanx.Nice digs!!

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Nice collection of weekend finds. I am envious. I have been torturing myself reading this group over the last few weeks. Have been incredably busy trying finish some video projects. Shooting amature sports and editing a video project before going out of town this weekend. I finished editing this afternoon and now have to make and deliver, at least, 14 copies by Thursday. ::) I am in a panic here. Seeing what people have been finding, I want so bad to get back out and do some searching. Haven't had the time to get out and do any detecting.

In addition, I have one suggestion that I would like to make. I guess I am kind of nitpicky about it sometimes. I only see it occasionally so it isn't a huge deal but, like I said, a suggestion for others to try and keep in mind when posting photos. If you have a way to resize your photos, most photo editing sofware will allow some way of doing so, Save a copy that you will upload or post at no more than 640 pixels wide. Ie. 640x480 or whatever depending on your aspect ratio of your photo. Here is one that I posted before. it is, 640 x 450

050517-Ring_LowerGilson-640.jpg

Also, save your JPEG images at medium quality. In addition to the smaller size allowing people to see an entire image without panning side to side, saving at lower quality and image sizes minimizes the dowload time for those who are on dialup or have older computers. Large photos can be difficult to download and view. It is natural to scroll down a screen while you are reading, and thus view tall photos. However panning side to side can, sometimes get a little tedious.

Just wanted to point this out as a help to all. Happy Detecting, Hope to get back out with you all soon.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Slow weekend my butt............ ;) :D...........Real nice finds there

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Atleast ya got one piece of silver, it wasn't a total loss...
I'm with you, for you not to have found any more coins than that, it's had to have been hit before.
Better luck next time, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks guys, Yeah it's always nice to get at least one piece of silver while out. Got it on father's day. It's been slow lately I cant hunt the spots I was hunting earlier in the year. To grown in. I don't like to hunt anything other than woods and earth that hasn't been disturbed in a long time.

I go to old spots all the time to find out the city threw 10 feet of top soil over everything years ago. I head to the woods. Dirt is always black and rich. Hasn't been touched ever so I know the chances of finding older stuff is greater. We have had a ton of activity here in Pittsburgh. We have the 3 rivers were the point meets. They just excavated last year the blockhouse and found underneath the floor a ton of Spanish gold and silver. Coins I never saw before. They were really big in size. Also the revolutionary war was fought here. The battle of braddock. The area though is one of the badest around. So looking for stuff from that battle is hard.

Hope to recover some more early stuff from the real people who were here way back. The area I live in down the street was scouted for a possible fort by washington in the mid 1700's. History is super rich here. Still got to find the stuff though. At the bottom of the hill also is a jail built in 1829. I have heard stories of bonnie and Clyde were put in this jail for some time.

All the obvious has been hit though. There's alot of treasure hunters around here. So competition is tight. That's why you need to know more than the next guy. Know your equipment better and you'll find more.

Take care all Jeremy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread