Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all:

Headed out this week for a little therapy to a 19 acre farm owned by a good friend. Came up with our first War Nickel, a 1942 P. My 2 YO daughter plucked it out of my dirt pile and I called my 7 YO son over to decipher the date, as his close vision is better than mine. :tard: I didn't believe him at first when he told me it said "1942." I was happy.

I also unearthed a brass (?) plate that says "Michigan State Farm Bureau - Bloomington, Illinois." Has anyone found one like this before? I haven't had time to research it yet. Age? I think I punctured the car image a bit with my new Ame's digging tool.:tongue3: Never thought I'd find something that big in my 11 inch deep hole....thought it was another darn .22 shell casing I was chasing.

But, the weather was perfect, the ground was soft, and I'm encouraged there may be a Merc lurking there somewhere. (And my kids got 3 hours of good old fashioned outdoors.)

I'm never sure I'm hunting this place the best way. There are TONS of iron signals everywhere. This time I hunted mostly in coin mode but I get many signals that jump around like crazy. Up near the old barn there are years worth of shell casings as the current owner and his boys used to shoot a lot back there.

Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• treasure07-08 006comp.jpg
    treasure07-08 006comp.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 470
  • treasure07-08 009comp.jpg
    treasure07-08 009comp.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 438
  • treasure07-08 013comp.jpg
    treasure07-08 013comp.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 477
Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey. . . you got silver in that nickel! :thumbsup:

I haven't seen a brass plate like that but with everyone here,
I wouldn't be surprised if you get an answer on that one soon :wink:

Take care,
watercolor

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure theres a mintmark above the dome and we are in business =)

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Hey Anne, sounds like ya had a fun day and its great that you are getting the kids out and involved in the great outdoors! The brass plate you found is a insurance plate that people would afix to the corner of the license plate to show that thier car had insurance on it. I found a similar one last fall South of Kalamazoo here's a pic..... Ithink yours is a touch older and they do have a small value as I have seen them sell on E-bay for a few bucks. Keep up the great work!

HH
Slipperyjack47

Attachments

• Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 367
OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slipperyjack, thanks for the help! I was hoping someone had some info. I thought it looked old but didn't trust the age of the car pictured as a guide. Mine is similar to yours except it doesn't have the bottom tab....never did. I always like finding relics with writing on them. :)

Thanks again!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hey Anne, glad you got out & found some stuff. That Mi State thing is cool as well. Jack's get-together is this Saturday, in case something happens & you change your mind.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I've heard of Farm Bureau Insurance (and of course just 'State Farm'), but the title on your plate is sort of a composite. Should be researchable. I think AAA is the last holdout keeping a version of the old badges going.

Good find, and nice war nickel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread