I give up, Lucky Little Kid did it again!

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Got home from work and my new hunting partner wanted to hit the yard again. 20 minutes into the hunt I have a crushed beer can, 5 pull tabs, a 11" length of lead bar. My daughter has 6 pull tabs, a wad of tin foil, and a sardine can key. She moves to the side yard within minutes I here her Tesoro beep. "Dad, come dig this coin for me" out pops a clad dime from 2" under the sod. Before I get the plug back in and stomped down, she has another signal. This time she wants to dig, being part prairie dog she hit the ground, digging, checking the dirt, and then the hole. Then I notice her turn up her discrimination until the tone stopped "I think its a penny Dad" at about 5" down she pulls out a 1945 Wheat Cent! At this point I wasn't sure if I was proud or upset that I didn't find any coins. She then said she wants to go and check the area where she found the Franklin Half, now I'm just carrying the trowel. She is sweeping slow, nice overlap, listening to any chatter from the detector then BEEP BEEP. No more than 6" from the hole she dug for her half, a good signal, she turns the disc. up to max. still a strong BEEP!!! "I'll get this one Dad, this is a good one". From 4" down, out it comes a 1962 "D" silver quarter. That's it, I retire, I'm now the official trowel carrier for my six year old kid! (Got a secret spot to take her, she should get some old copper, I wrote an article for the Gold and Silver annual 14 or 15 years ago about this site, time for her to find some big copper!).

Attachments

• DSCN2451.JPG
    DSCN2451.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 945
  • DSCN2452.JPG
    DSCN2452.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 974
  • DSCN2455.JPG
    DSCN2455.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 966
Upvote 5

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I bet your daughter will be the first to find something really really important in history! Or discover lots of Double Eagle Gold Coins! You are most likely her motivater to keep finding treasure! She has been so lucky to have a dad interested in metal detecting! I bet she will find something worth $1000. I love all the stories and seeing her find great stuff before all of us old timers do! Im 18 and still havn't even found my first silver! :icon_scratch: Tell her to keep up the hunting! :thumbsup:

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way To Go Dad. I have a lot of fond memories with my dad, but I wish I would have had someone to teach me the ins and outs of metal detecting... much harder to pick it up on your own as an adult...

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta love her, nice diggs

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool stuff, classic example of kids ability to master technology. I hope that secret spot yields some good stuff for you guys. Best part of this thread is the time spent with your daughter, priceless. Congrats on quality time with your family!

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome!! Congratulations to your little girl and to you for getingt to sit back and watch her be successful. I have two boys, five and seven, we are sticking to eyeball finds theses days. They had some little kid bounty hunter detectors but being boys, the machines magically broke.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds.
Apparently, you taught her very well. Plus, as cute as she is she deserves the cool finds right??

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well she got me convinced, pink long sleeve shirt and matching flip flops for my next hunt. hey if its workin for her I'm not gonna argue cause she's finding the cool stuff. Nobody may hunt with me ever again, but its worth a shot.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a sweet kiddo you got there, Willpond. SHE is the real prize!

I'm envious because my wife and kids just laughed at me when I brought my first detector home back in the 90's. Despite all of my finds, and all of my encouragement, I couldn't even get one of them to pick up a detector much less swing it.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice way to pay it forward. We got a new member, and one that I will be looking forward to her posts.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you're suffering from the proud papa syndrome. Happens to me too. Your daughter's a doll and it's great you take her with you out detecting. I can't seem to get mine to go along although one of them really likes to fish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread