Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was looking thorough a bunch of coins i have that i haven't really looked through carefully. found a bunch of coppers i never noticed before and recognized this one as some kind of colonial coin. with some research, i believe that it is a 1787 New Jersey colonial copper, maris 54-k (serpent head.) I'm not 100 percent sure on this, but it's the closest one i can find online to the one i have. the only difference is that on mine the shield on the back is more centered than the one here:http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/maris_54k_new_jersey_copper.htm can any of you coin experts varify its authenticity?? i'm thinking about taking it to a coin dealer, cause i saw one on ebay that sold for like 800 dollars.

the next 2 pics (quarter for size) are of a large coin i found in the collection. it is fairly worn, without a date, and i've always wondered what it was.

thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3133.JPG
    IMG_3133.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_3135.JPG
    IMG_3135.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_3138.JPG
    IMG_3138.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3139.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 724
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice New Jersey copper you got there. :thumbsup: I was fortunate enough to dig one earlier this year. I believe mine was a Maris 63 variety. Heres the one I found.

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpg
    IMG_1158.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 710

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a 54 k, while not a $800 dollar coin, it is a nice one. Congrats!

OP
OP
grasshopper

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
It is a 54 k, while not a $800 dollar coin, it is a nice one. Congrats!

thank you!! how much (approx) do you think it may be worth?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is really tough to put a value on it, especially just from pictures. The 54k is a pretty neat variety, it is a lightweight contemporary counterfeit. There are theories as to who actually produced it but it is one of those numismatic mysteries.

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
Boy it must be nice to find a coin back in the 1700's!!! I live in Michigan and will never find any coin befor the 1850,s I would love it if I could find a half cent at least, your finds are the coolest I have ever seen. I have seen the coins in a book but did not think people have ever found on, great job and I am jellus. Feel happy you can find a coin that old and never take it for granted., I would give any thing to detect a spot where I could find a coin dated back in the 1700's. Great find and post more pics of your finds.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your NJ coin is in very good condition and I would not recommend taking to a coin dealer, unless they know State Coinage. A regular coin dealer would in most instances really have no idea on how to evaluate a State copper unless he was a dealer in State coppers.

The other coin is a 1806 or 1807 King George III Halfpenny. That syle only made those years.

Don

OP
OP
grasshopper

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Your NJ coin is in very good condition and I would not recommend taking to a coin dealer, unless they know State Coinage. A regular coin dealer would in most instances really have no idea on how to evaluate a State copper unless he was a dealer in State coppers.

The other coin is a 1806 or 1807 King George III Halfpenny. That syle only made those years.

Don

the one guy i know of in the area seems to be a very reputable coin dealer. this is his website, it lists all the stuff he specializes in, and colonial coins are one of them. http://www.wspcoin.com/

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: found this today...not in the ground. need some help IDing possible NJ coppe

Don in SJ said:

The other coin is a 1806 or 1807 King George III Halfpenny
. That syle only made those years.

Don

Yeap, thats the bottom coin. Definately real but very common.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread