Hunt #2 in Fugio Field: No LCs but [updated] 1600s French coin!

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
After finding the Fugio and three other large coppers on that new site Wednesday night, I've been dying to get back. I couldn't go Thursday night since I was picking up my kids but, after jonesing all day at work waiting for the work day to end, I headed out last evening. There was a storm coming in so I left a bit early. :) Rain was already spattering as I walked to the car but that just made me hurry more yet. Drove through rush-hour traffic to finally arrive at a parking space around the corner and, after putting cell phone, camera, etc. in plastic bags, excitedly headed for the park. Arriving at the park, I hurriedly geared up and did a quick scan as I headed down to the area where I'd found the large coppers all in one small area. Think I dug one nail on the way. I mentally demarcated an area to cover and started horizontal sweeps along the slope. Nothing but iffy signals that turned out to be nail, nail, lead, nail,.... Then finally, after a few passes, got a fairly solid signal pretty much in the center of where I'd found the LCs, and dug up a button(?). It's very flat, writing on the face but not the back (no decoration either), but does have a pit on the back opposite the center from the through-pit that shows on the face. I still haven't figured out what the writing says (...DOV...?).

080620_buttonQ_8184.JPG

I thought I had another LC at first when I found this 1897 Indian Head off in one corner about 10 feet away from ground zero:

080620_IH_obverse_8197.JPG

On my last sweep of the top of the grid, I found this large iron object. Anyone know what it is? (Reminded me of a minature end of a cannon.) Inner diameter of the opening is a hair over 1 1/8".

080620_large-iron-cap_angle_8190.JPG

080620_large-iron-cap_side_8191.JPG

080620_large-iron-cap_bottom_8192.JPG

After all of the passes in one direction covering the target area, except for the button(?), IH, and the iron cap thing, I hadn't found anything of interest.

At that point, I went back and checked some very iffy signals I'd marked with golf tees. More nails. As it was getting late, I figured I'd leave the gridding at 90 degrees for another time and headed off to run some scans through other parts of the park to see what else popped up, digging just fairly solid signals.

After ignoring a bunch of modern crap, although digging a few of them to check, I scanned a meandering path towards one corner and back up the side and turned up three wheats, a '19, '36, & '44, and more bits of lead. (One I'm curious about is 2nd from the left in the lead row in the following picture. It seems to have been manufactured in that shape with a drilled/punched hole in it. The ones on either side of that seem like they might have been something once too, particularly the one on the right of it.)

Here's all the finds from the hunt minus, I think, two pulltabs and a screw cap.

080620_all-finds_8188_800.jpg

I did learn a lot about nails on this hunt. :) Particularly that a nail in a vertical position can sound pretty darn good.

I wouldn't have bothered posting these except, in the context of the other finds, I thought some folks might be interested. It was a bit of a let-down to not find another LC but I'll keep hitting the site and suspect I may pull at least one more out of there eventually. If I find anything particularly interesting there again, I'll be sure to post. But, no matter what, it's one more site with good possibilities in the rotation. ;D

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hunt #2 in Fugio Field: No LCs but old button(?), Indian Head, etc.

As long as theere's targets keep hitting that place! :thumbsup:

Coin is a French Double Tournois. (1600s)

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used

That's a coin? No ****! That makes 5 from the same small area. And 1600s? That's my oldest coin yet! Awesome! Thanks!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BlackX said:
That's a coin? No ****! That makes 5 from the same small area. And 1600s? That's my oldest coin yet! Awesome! Thanks!

Quite sure that's what it is and from what I see would date early to mid. 1600s. If there's any detail at all on the other side you may be able to narrow it down. Sure seems like some great possibilities at that site. Surprised you're not hitting some good relics, that's prime button territory... not to mention one of those fancy tree coins. :D

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Iron Patch said:
Coin is a French Double Tournois. (1600s)

Good call, Iron Patch! :thumbsup:

Here's an example...

fh4dtbg.jpg

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used

I'm still stunned and literally shakey.

Fugio Field is turning into Field of Dreams.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BTW.. That's fairly typical dug condition for those. Since you have early French coins on the site you really have to dig those small foil sounding tones, it's often where the French billon coins show up. Good Rev War pewters can also be there, and quite possibly your thin Pinetree Shilling that's still waiting. :thumbsup:

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Can't tell the size, but the iron thing looks like a fence post cap. And a Big Congrats on all the awesome coin finds. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BlackX

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the tip, PT. I started to dig one of those signals last night thinking the odd chance of a III-cent (?...the one that reads as 11-02 when close) but it was shallow so left it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BlackX said:
Thanks for the tip, PT. I started to dig one of those signals last night thinking the odd chance of a III-cent (?...the one that reads as 11-02 when close) but it was shallow so left it.

Dude, on that site forget your screen and just dig! The age you have there can turn up finds you never would suspect to identify by a number reading. I would literally put my head down and dig as many targets as I could per day with the exception of small iron. Still more to come I'm sure!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch is oh so correct on digging just about every reading. My son found a 1595ish French Douzain silver coin, and on his Fisher CZ70 it was a foil type reading. Congrats on getting such an old coin, the date on it almost appears to be the same as the one PBK posted! Hope there is more to come from that site, yes, that is your field of dreams!

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread