Great Silver Cache Found In Upstate New York

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
OK. Who's the lucky b@$t@rd who found the "great silver cache" in upstate NY? Come on. Fess up!!

I ran across this 1812 half dollar on eBay that the seller claims is part of this great cache.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11969&item=8313012051&rd=1

The seller implies that he found over 200 halves (halfs). Here is part of what he says in the item description:

1812 CAPPED BUST HALF FROM OLD FORT SITE. ... RECOVERED AT AN OLD FORT SITE IN UPSTATE NEW YORK. FOUND ON PRIVATE PROPERTY WITH PERMISSION.THIS SITE WAS ACTIVE IN THE FRENCH & INDIAN WARS,THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR, & THE WAR OF 1812. ... THE MARK ABOVE THE CAP WAS PUT ON THE COIN BY THE PERSON WHO HID THE CACHE SO THAT IF THE PERSON SAW THAT MARK IN CIRCULATION THEY KNEW THE CACHE WAS DISCOVERED. THIS SIGNATURE MARK WILL ACTUALLY ADD TO THE PROVENANCE OF THE COIN.THIS IS PART OF THE GREAT SILVER CACHE FOUND IN UPSTATE NEW YORK. I EXPECT TO PUT UP ABOUT 200 HALFS GOING BACK TO 1795. ... A LETTER OF PROVENANCE & A COPY OF A 1757 MAP SHOWING THE RECOVERY AREA WILL BE FURNISHED.

Has anybody heard anything about this find? It might be worth buying the coin just to get the map of the recovery area.

Upvote 0
T

T-Rex

Never heard of it but the guy has flawless feedback so it looks legit...

E

Einstein

HOE4.JPG
BM4.JPG

here is some of the map.....

F

Floater

They had the coins on E-bay since feburary I believe. they sold most of them and then they stopped selling them all together. I dont know if the IRS got there # or what? This is the first time I have seen them come back up.Great story and sure wish it had been me. Im going into that area later this summer for a couple of days. One of my friends hunts turkey and deer up there and knows all the land owners so he said he would show me some great cellar holes and old mill areas and the like that no one has been to in a while.He said it will be just in time for him to start bow hunting and scouting out again for rifle season so should be pretty good for me.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread