what do you think the best way to clean coins?

Sylth

Apr 11, 2008
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 w/ Sunray Probe & a Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Rule of thumb is to NOT clean coins.

Personally, though, I use an ultrasonic cleaner. Water and vibrations make that dirt come off great. For corrosion, though, Ive heard electrolosys (sp?) works well. Though I don't use it, Ive read of plenty of people here that do and can give you opinions on it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skatergod6262 said:
what do you think the best way to clean coins? just wondering :-\

Case by case basis. It's like saying my car is broken, how do I fix it?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if the coin is an unknown go slow and nontoxic, if it doesn't have much value electrolysis is an option

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what kind of coins are you thinking about cleaning?

silver, i'd just try some soap and water w/ a toothbrush.

clad, you can tumble them in a rock tumbler.

and like others said, electrolosys works well for crusty coins.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
skatergod6262 said:
what do you think the best way to clean coins? just wondering :-\

Case by case basis. It's like saying my car is broken, how do I fix it?

I agree.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
the only problem with olive oil, when you soak it, the coin absorbs the oil, making hard to clean by other methods

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have tried Olive Oil and Hydrogen Peroxide on my copper coins. I tried the Olive Oil first and soaked them for months. It's a mistake that I wish I could take back. It didn't hurt the coins, but didn't help them either. The thing I didn't like about it is that I can't clean them by another method none too easy. I tried the peroxide on a crudy looking wheat penny and it worked great, but this one wasn't soaked in Olive Oil. The ones that were soaked in Olive Oil will not clean up good using the Peroxide.

One of these years I will try electrolysis.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Welcome to Tnet,

most of my finds i first try cleaning them with a toothbrush and some warm soapy water..when i got it as best i can using that method.

if it needs further cleaning i will get a wide bottom bowl,put some aluminum foil in the shiny side up(enough to come to the top of the bowl)..make sure foil it completely flat/smooth at the bottom of the bowl(any foil raised up will leave a line on coin surface that's touching it)..so smooth it out best you can with fingers

Next i use filtered water and baking soda......sprinkle some baking soda in bowl(enough so it covers foil in bottom of the bowl)..

place coins/items you want to clean in the bowl atop baking soda(leaving a space between each one..never mix metal types)...

now heat enough filtered water in microwave until it gets super hot and boiling....

sprinkle more baking soda on the top of the items to be cleaned,and slowly pour in boiling water and let set until water cools....

use toothbrush dipped in a bit of baking soda to get loose crud off...

rinse with warm soapy water and repeat process(new foil and all) until you get desired look

i find that this method is very safe and end result looks much better than when you began

NOTE: letting Indian head pennies and the like sit in oil under a low wattage lamp for a day or two works really well on those type metals,pick crud off with toothpick..leaves patina intact with no harm done to coin

hope this helps

Shawn

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For light cleaning I use baking soda with water.
For very crusted coins I use a light acid solution. (vinegar spread out with water)
When done I put it in baking soda with water to neutralize the acid.
For modern coins I like to use the tumbler with saw dust and cerium oxide to get a higher polish after acid treatment.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Eu_citzen said:
For very crusted coins I use a light acid solution. (vinegar spread out with water)
For modern coins I like to use the tumbler with saw dust and cerium oxide to get a higher polish after acid treatment.

what is cerium oxide?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
UnEarthed72 said:
Eu_citzen said:

what is cerium oxide?

http://www.facetingmachines.com/polishes.shtml

Used to give some rocks a high polish.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Eu_citzen said:
UnEarthed72 said:
Eu_citzen said:

what is cerium oxide?

http://www.facetingmachines.com/polishes.shtml

Used to give some rocks a high polish.

thanks for the info

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

I use a dry brush on Buffalo's ,(they turn red with water in most cases) I use a potato for pennies, (stick them in the potato for 24 hours) I just rinse the silver with water and my finger. (seems to be less corrosive than any cloth or brush)

Each person tends to have their own little ways to clean their coins. The Idea of - NOT CLEANING - is the best Idea and comes from destroying the value of a valuable coin by cleaning it. So don't ever clean a coin you feel is really valuable.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a ground found copper is not cleaned, a lot of times you do not know what you have, might know what the coin is, but not be able to attribute the variety, which means you could have a very common one or a very rare coin.

Also proper cleaning and preservation stops any possible further damage from corrosion/trapped moisture.

See signature below. :)

Don

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please read the threads in the cleaning and preservation forum on this site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread