First time out. Learning my Fisher F2

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I bought a Fisher F2 before work yesterday, from TC Metal Detectors, wanted to play around before work...but they always seem upset when I show up late...
So anyways, after waiting hours and hours...I finally got home and went to go test it in my back yard, as it was 10pm, and I had to work early in the morning today...

I find a nice dime/iron signal and started to dig...but then my flashlight died...couldn't find any more batteries for it...*bought some today, no worries for next time*
Anyways today after work I continue to dig in the same spot and it starts to pour like no tomorrow...so I head inside for a little while...two hours later I go back and continue digging...by now the hole is about 1' deep ad 5" round...
I ran my detector over the dirt I removed and it wasn't there...so after another few inches I gave up...only because my mother told me*shouted to me* when they build our house*the house is only 15 years old* before they spread the dirt they used that area as a trash area...

So I was a bit ticked to say the least...
Decided to go try out the local football field, only to get there and realize the bleachers I was gonna search near are gone...they are fold aways..and I forgot the spot they are normally put...
Good thing there was one set of bleachers that stay there all the time...
I searched around there for about 10 minutes...got loads of signals...but I didn't want to dig loads of holes where people walk...so when I finally got a good signal off the path I dig it...nothing...

I then turned on the discrimination and removed foil and iron...guess what...the signal was the bleachers...some piece that had broken and was semi-buried.
Back to detecting...hit a QTR signal...dug...YAY! my first find.

2000 South Carolina P quarter.
It may not be anything special, but its my first MDing find.

Searched a bit more...no more strong signals...not very many weak ones either...so I decided to take off..
I will return after I found out where the bleachers are normally placed.

Also, I'll update if I find anything else, as later tonight when it cools down*9-10pm* I will be going to the two local beaches...

Sorry for the long post...but I was kind of excited when I found the quarter and wanted to explain...

*I also decided to keep records of my finds..and see how long it takes me to pay off the metal detector...in clad only...*

Anyone have any tips for someone new to using detectors...maybe some tips on the F2 in specific...*The instruction manual wasn't very informative*

Thank you for reading.

Upvote 0

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Way to get out there and hunt. THAT is the secret.
The more you hunt the more you learn.
You can also check online for helpful videos on
your machine.

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Great choice in machines. I bought an F2 in the spring just to keep in the truck. It works like a charm. Don't get discouraged, keep digging and never give up. The next signal maybe gold or silver! :thumbsup:

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great decision on the F2 as a starter you'll have a great time detecting.

PS - That quickie tstorm really snuck up on me as well. Thank god for waterproof detectors in the middle of nowhere ;D

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the finds and the F2 ! the more you use it the better you will get and congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ghondi

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Drudge said:

PS - That quickie tstorm really snuck up on me as well. Thank god for waterproof detectors in the middle of nowhere ;D

Where abouts in CT are you?

I noticed a bit of dark clouds and then...bam..within 5 minutes...lol

Thank you all.
I'm gonna keep using it as often as possible, eventually I think I'll learn it...
At the beaches I plan on digging EVERY signal...sand is easy to move/dig in...lol

I know one of the F2's specs are it being waterproof..but does that mean is I use it right along the edge of the water *and a wave covers the coil* it won't damage the detector?
*I don't want to destroy it, as this hobby is fun so far and I don't have another $200 to buy another one..*lol

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghondi said:
Drudge said:

Where abouts in CT are you?

I noticed a bit of dark clouds and then...bam..within 5 minutes...lol

Thank you all.
I'm gonna keep using it as often as possible, eventually I think I'll learn it...
At the beaches I plan on digging EVERY signal...sand is easy to move/dig in...lol

I know one of the F2's specs are it being waterproof..but does that mean is I use it right along the edge of the water *and a wave covers the coil* it won't damage the detector?
*I don't want to destroy it, as this hobby is fun so far and I don't have another $200 to buy another one..*lol

I live in Southington and have been at it for about a year now, its definately a fun little hobby. I dont know how the F2 will handle the surf but im guessing it'll give off false signals so i'd stick to the dry sand and not the wet stuff, good luck bro.

OP
OP
Ghondi

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Ahh, hows the detecting over there?

Very historical where I am...hopefully I'll find some interesting relics...*value doesn't really matter*

OP
OP
Ghondi

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Ohh, ok. lol

Thank you for all the well wishes etc. all.
I actually made a post in Service/Repair...
I think my detector might be broken...or something..IDK...
Check out that post if you know anything about detectors...

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm an advanced Newbie ... Been at this for just about a year.

I'd suggest you dig everything ... and if you don't want to mess up nice looking lawns well then concentrate on the edges of parks around bushes and under trees.

Tot lots too are an easy way to 'recover' finds.

I do a lot of beach hunting and that is also a great way. Do you have any river or lake beaches?

If you can locate old dump sites or land fills you'd be surprised what you can find.

Good Luck and HH, Joe

OP
OP
Ghondi

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
DrJoePrime said:
I'm an advanced Newbie ... Been at this for just about a year.

I'd suggest you dig everything ... and if you don't want to mess up nice looking lawns well then concentrate on the edges of parks around bushes and under trees.

Tot lots too are an easy way to 'recover' finds.

I do a lot of beach hunting and that is also a great way. Do you have any river or lake beaches?

If you can locate old dump sites or land fills you'd be surprised what you can find.

Good Luck and HH, Joe

I do have 3 lake beaches really close. When I figure out whats up with my detector I'll be hunting them almost daily if I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread