OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
unclejesse67 said:
Thats possible. never woulda thought of that. I used to solde electronics for a living and it never crossed my mind to make a ring out of it

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be hand made and not cast. We used to make rings like that in Jewelry Shop in high school. We would take a setting, then twist some material, flaten and then solder the band on as yours appears, then buff it out. They came out looking just like yours. Melting at an open flame temp is extremely unusual and baffles me. Lead is about the only metal that would do that.

Let us know what you find out. was this a find with your $10 metal detector? Not too bad. Best of luck on it.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
BeachBumm said:
It appears to be hand made and not cast. We used to make rings like that in Jewelry Shop in high school. We would take a setting, then twist some material, flaten and then solder the band on as yours appears, then buff it out. They came out looking just like yours. Melting at an open flame temp is extremely unusual and baffles me. Lead is about the only metal that would do that.

Let us know what you find out. was this a find with your $10 metal detector? Not too bad. Best of luck on it.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:
Mark,
I agree that it looks handmade. It is all one piece though. there is no joint where the band would have been soldered on. Yes this was found with my $10 detector, its the only one I have right now and it has paid for itself in clad already.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever its made out of, its cool!!! :thumbsup:

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I do think it is hand made but by someone with some jewelery making experience since it has an obvious place for a stone setting as well as the face is far more complex than what an amateur might be capable of. Older rings were some times made of brass, which is what I suspect this one is. :icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread